[ANN] Mailsmith 2.2 (275) beta

Rich Siegel

Apr 30, 2009, 2:30:25 PM4/30/09
to mailsmi...@googlegroups.com
Good { morning, afternoon, evening },

Thanks to everyone who's taken the 2.2 betas out for a spin. A
new build is available with fixes for a few of the problems that
were reported.

For the benefit of all :-), here is important information that
was circulated with the previous beta releases, and which will
be repeated with all future pre-release builds:

There are several very important considerations, which we ask
you to
ponder before downloading and installing this new version:

* Mailsmith 2.2 is not ready for release to the general
public. It
is pre-release software, which has not been completely
tested or
debugged. We will do our best to fix any bugs that are reported;
but you must acknowledge, at least to yourself, that you are
assuming a certain amount of risk by using this pre-release
version; and that by assuming that risk, you accept all
responsibility for the consequences of doing so.

We do not recommend that you rely on pre-release versions
of any
software that your business depends on, and that includes
pre-release versions of Mailsmith.

* Pre-release versions of Mailsmith are UNSUPPORTED. If you
have a
problem, please do NOT write to tech support for
assistance. See
below for more information.

* Mailsmith 2.2 is NOT for sale. If you are not currently a
Mailsmith customer, and wish to try out the pre-releases running
as a demo, we can't stop you, but you are on your own. If you
are considering purchasing Mailsmith, we recommend that you wait
until 2.2 is officially released and available through our
online store.

* The storage format of mailboxes has changed, and it is NOT
backward-compatible with Mailsmith 2.1.x. Once you start using
Mailsmith 2.2, there is no going back to 2.1.x (or any previous
version, for that matter). We also recommend against trying to
run 2.1 and 2.2 side-by-side. If you are willing to make it
work, more power to you; but we cannot support simultaneous use
of 2.2 and any previous version.

* 2.2 will convert the stored mail from Mailsmith 2.1 ONLY. If you
are using 2.0, you should update to 2.1.5 before installing and
using 2.2. If you are using 1.0 or 1.5, you must upgrade to 2.1
before you can use 2.2.

* If you are a PGP user: Mailsmith 2.2 works with PGP 9. It will
not work with PGP 8. You can download the latest PGP 9 freeware
from PGP, which will work fine.

* Mailsmith 2.2 requires Mac OS X 10.4. We recommend 10.4.11. It
will not run on any version of the OS older than 10.4. It is
compatible with (and supported on) Mac OS X 10.5 and and later.

Because the whole public-beta thing is a departure from our usual
routine, we're making a few adjustments to our usual processes for
bug reporting. With that in mind, PLEASE DO NOT WRITE TO TECH
SUPPORT IF YOU ARE HAVING PROBLEMS. If you are a previously
nondisclosed beta site, please continue to use the channels that
have been made available to you. If not, please post a description
of your problem to the list, for now. We will announce new
pre-release builds on the list, as well.

Complete change notes for the current pre-release build are below.
Please read them, in their entirety, before downloading, installing,
and/or using Mailsmith 2.2.

version 2.2 (275) (4/30/2009)

Additions
---------

+ Threadwhacking is impolite. Mailsmith will now help you avoid
committing this faux pas. [73479]

+ You can now right-click (contextual menu) on the
"Subject" item
in a collapsed message toolbar to copy the message's subject.
[45733]

+ Mailbox moves are now confirmed with an alert. (If any mailbox
has been created or moved less than 30 seconds ago, the
confirmation is skipped.)

+ The "Display HTML in Browser" command is now enabled
and works
for the first HTML part in the message, even if it
isn't the
first attachment. [54249]

+ The contextual menu for the recipients ("To:" item) in a
collapsed mail toolbar now includes a "Mail To"
command, which
will create a new message window addressed to all To
and CC
recipients of the message. [56050]

Changes
-------

o (none in this build)

Fixes
-----

- Fixed a longstanding bug that made it difficult to use contextual
menus in collapsed message toolbar items.

- [NFR] Fixed thread hang which could occur when queuing or
sending a message while sending (or preparation for)
was already
in progress. [127298]

- [NFR] Fixed regression in which a "Transfer" action
following a
"Deposit" action was not allowed to run, which broke filtering
setups that depended on this behavior. [128026]

- [NFR] Re-converted the Trek Whistle sound to hopefully
eliminate glitches when played during filtering. [129239]

- [NFR] Fixed a regression which caused the demo
watermark to
appear when printing messages.

=end=

If you are using Mailsmith 2.2 (239) or later, please choose
"Check for Update" to download and install the latest version.
If you are using an older 2.2 prerelease or a pre-2.2 version,
please download the installation disk image from here:

<http://seeding.barebones.com//yankee/p0llen/dust_B0w1/mailsmith-22_275.dmg>

Please use the URL complete; don't try to navigate to any of the
intermediate directories, because you won't be able to see them.

Enjoy,

R.
--
Rich Siegel Bare Bones Software, Inc.
<sie...@barebones.com> <http://www.barebones.com/>

Someday I'll look back on all this and laugh... until they
sedate me.

Joe

Apr 30, 2009, 3:42:41 PM4/30/09
to Mailsmith Talk
On Apr 30, 2:30 pm, Rich Siegel <sie...@barebones.com> wrote:
> Good { morning, afternoon, evening },
>
> Thanks to everyone who's taken the 2.2 betas out for a spin. A
> new build is available with fixes for a few of the problems that
> were reported.

WOW! Nice work, Rich. This current build is blazingly fast.

Whew!

Thanks.

Joe

nomad

May 1, 2009, 4:24:49 AM5/1/09
to Mailsmith Talk
>      -   [NFR] Re-converted the Trek Whistle sound to hopefully
>          eliminate glitches when played during filtering. [129239]

Most satisfactory! Thanks.

Henri

May 2, 2009, 9:43:55 AM5/2/09
to Mailsmith Talk
On Apr 30, 11:30 am, Rich Siegel <sie...@barebones.com> wrote:
> + Threadwhacking is impolite.

What is threadwhacking?

--Henri

Rich Siegel

May 2, 2009, 11:13:16 AM5/2/09
On 5/2/09 at 9:43 AM, hpicc...@gmail.com (Henri) wrote:

>What is threadwhacking?

Threadwhacking is when you reply to a message on a mailing list,
but change the subject to something completely different and
unrelated, thus attempting to start a new thread. However, the
chain of reply messages includes the thread to date. It's
usually done by people who are too lazy to type the mailing
list's address in. :-)

Richard Fairbanks

May 2, 2009, 12:54:01 PM5/2/09
to mailsmi...@googlegroups.com
>What is threadwhacking?

Thank you for asking, Henri! (I didn’t have the nerve! ;-) )

And thank you, Rich, for the recent, substantial work on
Mailsmith! I won’t go down the list, but much of what I have
been mentioning has been resolved.

Thank you!

P.S. does this constitute threadwhacking?

;-)

--

Richard Fairbanks
li...@F-P-I.com

Tobias Horvath

May 2, 2009, 5:11:04 PM5/2/09
On May 2, 2009, at 17:13 , Rich Siegel wrote:

> On 5/2/09 at 9:43 AM, hpicc...@gmail.com (Henri) wrote:
>
>> What is threadwhacking?
>
> Threadwhacking is when you reply to a message on a mailing list,
> but change the subject to something completely different and
> unrelated, thus attempting to start a new thread. However, the
> chain of reply messages includes the thread to date. It's
> usually done by people who are too lazy to type the mailing
> list's address in. :-)

These little things are the reason Mailsmith will keep a safe warm
place in my heart.
I seriously think about how to use it again daily :D

(Am not gonna start another IMAP discussion... if so, I would make a
new thread, without In-Reply-To and such :D)

T.

Henri

May 2, 2009, 11:41:06 PM5/2/09
to Mailsmith Talk
On Apr 30, 11:30 am, Rich Siegel <sie...@barebones.com> wrote:
> please post a description of your problem to the list, for now.

What about feature requests?

--Henri

Alexander Newman

May 2, 2009, 11:42:55 PM5/2/09
to mailsmi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rich & Co,

The latest beta that I've downloaded and am using (275) is a
fantastically great improvement over *anything* that has gone
before it, in terms of responsiveness to the user (er, me :). I
now no longer have to wait five minutes for a search to end (and
go off and do something else entirely while I wait) before
getting control back of the interface (e.g., for reading).

What a great advance! Many thanks - I would have paid good money
for this implementation years ago, even! Keep up the great work! Fantastic!

Seems pretty solid, and quick in other aspects, too :).

Cheers,
Alex.