[Samba] cupsaddsmb problem

Julian Pilfold-Bagwell

May 13, 2005, 6:35:55 AM5/13/05
Hi all,

I have a problem with adding point and print to a print server. The server
details are as follows:

700MHz Celeron + 384MB RAM
Mandriva LE2005 (Mandrake 10.2)
Samba 3.0.13-2mdk
CUPS 1.1.23
cups drivers 10.2-0.11
gimpprint-cups 2-1.1.23-11
foomatic 3.0.2-1

The server is bound to an NT4 based domain (to be replaced with Linux/Samba in
the summer) and winbind works fine with wbinfo -u and -g returning a full
list of users and groups.

Cups works fine printing from Linux clients but when I run cupsaddsmb to
deliver the drivers to the XP client machines it fails to copy the files to
the named folder.

Running the command gives the output below:

[root@ourschool printers]# cupsaddsmb -U jpb -h localhost HPLaserJet5L
Password for jpb required to access localhost via SAMBA:
[root@ourschool printers]#

Running it in verbose mode only gives the following:

[root@ourschool printers]# cupsaddsmb -U jpb -h localhost -v HPLaserJet5L
Password for jpb required to access localhost via SAMBA:
Running command: rpcclient localhost -N -U'jpb%pwchanged' -c 'setdriver
HPLaserJet5L HPLaserJet5L'
Succesfully set HPLaserJet5L to driver HPLaserJet5L.

the final line of which suggests it's worked but the drivers aren't copied to
the /var/lib/samba/printers folder and the clients can't find the drivers
when p+p is tried.

The smb.conf is shown below:

[global]
workgroup = SCHOOL
server string = A1-lptserver
netbios name = A1-lptserver
security = domain
encrypt passwords = Yes
password server = NTServer
public = yes
browseable = yes
lm announce = yes
browse list = yes
auto services = yes
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50
unix charset = ISO8859-15
os level = 20
local master = No
domain master = No
preferred master = no
dns proxy = No
idmap uid = 10000-20000
idmap gid = 10000-20000
winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
template homedir = /home/%D/%U
template shell = /bin/false
winbind use default domain = yes
hosts allow = 10.88.8. 10.88.9. 10.88.10. 10.88.11. 127.
remote announce = 10.88.8.255
load printers = yes
printcap name = cups

[print$]
comment = Printer Drivers
path = /var/lib/samba/printers
browseable = yes
public = yes
write list = bm,ew,jpb,@"Domain Users",@adm

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
browseable = yes
public = yes
printer admin = bm ew jpb root @"Domain Users"
guest ok = yes
printable = yes
create mode = 0700

and the permissions are set as follows on the /var/lib/samba/printers folder:

drwxrwxr-x 7 root domain admins 4096 May 10 15:13 printers/

with the same on the subdirectories. jpb, bm and ew are named as allowed
users in the write list and all three are also members of the domain admins
group.

Any help with this greatly appreciated. I get the feeling that it's something
really obvious that I'm overlooking but I've been going round in circles and
can't see the wood for the trees.

Cheers,

Julian PB

Bruno Guerreiro

May 13, 2005, 7:12:55 AM5/13/05
I think that that is more of a cups problem rather than Samba's.
I'm having the same problem with cups-1.1.22-0.rc1.8.5 on FC3.
cupsaddsmb is adding only the NT4/win9x drivers (if they exist in Samba).
Using the cupsaddsmb from cups-1.1.20-11.6 works like a charm.

Julian Pilfold-Bagwell

May 16, 2005, 10:20:46 AM5/16/05
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies, I just removed the cups-common-1.1-23 package from my
box and installed v 1.1.21-0.rc1.7.4 from rpmseek.com.

Ran Cupsaddsmb and it worked perfectly first time. Funnily enough 1.1.21 was
the version that I first used with point and print on Mandrake 10 and it
worked then.

Anyway, cheers again, I'll post a report on the CUPS mailing list,

all the best,

Julian