[AMaViS-user] ANY_BOUNCE_MESSAGE is set depending on vacation message body

Marc Muehlfeld

Jan 4, 2010, 3:27:13 AM1/4/10
Hello,

I have set up a vacation message with the following text:

> I am out of the office from 01.01.-18.01.2010 with limited access to e-mail.

If this autoreply is send, then amavis add "ANY_BOUNCE_MESSAGE" to
X-Spam-Status on this message:

> AWL=-0.600, BAYES_00=-2.599, BOUNCE_MESSAGE=0.1,
> FH_DATE_PAST_20XX=3.188, NO_RELAYS=-0.001] autolearn=no

But if I reduce the text to

> 01.01.-18.01.2010 with limited access to e-mail.

then the flag isn't added:

> BAYES_00=-2.599, FH_DATE_PAST_20XX=3.188, NO_RELAYS=-0.001]
> autolearn=no

CentOS 5.4
spamassassin-3.2.5-1.el5.rf
amavisd-new-2.6.4-2.el5.rf
I allready run sa-update and restarted Amavis

Any idea why this happens?

Regards,
Marc

Jari Fredriksson

Jan 4, 2010, 7:10:17 AM1/4/10
On 4.1.2010 10:27, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have set up a vacation message with the following text:
>
> > I am out of the office from 01.01.-18.01.2010 with limited access to e-mail.
>
> If this autoreply is send, then amavis add "ANY_BOUNCE_MESSAGE" to
> X-Spam-Status on this message:
>

> Any idea why this happens?

It is feature in SpamAssassin. Your message is an "Out of Office" -bounce.

ANY_BOUNCE_MESSAGE is not meant to be handled as spam, but as a bounce,
stored in some bounce folder or something like that. It will not have
any spam score, and will not add to "spamminess".

--
http://www.iki.fi/jarif/

Q: How many Marxists does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: None: The light bulb contains the seeds of its own revolution.

Jari Fredriksson

Jan 4, 2010, 11:35:02 AM1/4/10
On 4.1.2010 14:54, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> Jari Fredriksson schrieb:

>> It is feature in SpamAssassin. Your message is an "Out of Office"
>> -bounce.
>
> But shouldn't this be applied to incoming mails and not also to outgoing
> "out of office" mails from my server?

Yes.

> Is there a way to disable ANY_BOUNCE_MESSAGE for all outgoing mails?

It depends how you configure your SpamAssassin. I call it from
maildrop/procmail, which means that SA is called only for incoming mail.

You call it from amavisd-new, which means that SA is called also for
outgoing mail.

I know that it is possible to configure amavisd to use different listen
port and policy bank for incoming & outgoing, but I can't give you
advices on how to do that.

You can google policy bank, or hope that someone here can advice.

> Here many have a filter moving this messages to a folder or
> automatically delete them, because some people here got thousands of
> backscatter mails and their email account flood.

That filter is OK, but you just have to stop calling SA for outgoing email.

--
http://www.iki.fi/jarif/

It may or may not be worthwhile, but it still has to be done.

Mark Martinec

Jan 4, 2010, 2:32:28 PM1/4/10
Marc,

> If this autoreply is send, then amavis add "ANY_BOUNCE_MESSAGE" to
> X-Spam-Status on this message:

As has been pointed out, the ANY_BOUNCE_MESSAGE rule hits on out-of-office
replies too, so this is normal. It only scores 0.1 points, so there is
nothing to worry about. You may even set its score to 0 to completely
disable the rule.

One way to disable a rule for mail originating from inside
is to modify it so that it takes into account the X-Amavis-PolicyBank
header field as inserted by amavisd and made available to SpamAssassin
for inspection. Something like the following should do:

header L_MYNETS X-Amavis-PolicyBank =~ m{(\A|/)(MYNETS|ORIGINATING)(/|$)}m

meta ANY_BOUNCE_MESSAGE !L_MYNETS && (CRBOUNCE_MESSAGE||BOUNCE_MESSAGE||VBOUNCE_MESSAGE)

Mark