Re: Freebsd 7.2-RC boot problem

subbsd

Apr 28, 2009, 3:40:58 AM4/28/09
On Monday 27 April 2009 21:31:38 Jim Pingle wrote:
> subbsd wrote:
> > Hello, i've got some problem with my SATA Optiarc DVD RW:
> > message output on the screen in not stopped, but repeating with
> > incremental delay:
> > acd0: DVDR <Optiarc DVD RW AD-7200S/1.06> at ata3-master UDMA33
> > HEOM_LABEL: Label for provider acd0 is iso9660/FreeBSD_Install

Hi.

> Did you retype this? Or did it really say "HEOM"? If that's not a typo,
> you may want to check for RAM errors.

Correct. RAM is ok, problem in my fingers ;).

> > run_interrupt_driven hooks: still waiting after 60 seconds for xpt_config
> > run_interrupt_driven hooks: still waiting after 120 seconds for
> > xpt_config run_interrupt_driven hooks: still waiting after 180 seconds
> > for xpt_config run_interrupt_driven hooks: still waiting after 240
> > seconds for xpt_config run_interrupt_driven hooks: still waiting after
> > 300 seconds for xpt_config
>
> I spoke with someone the other day who had that exact same message, and
> it was due to either a Firewire controller in the BIOS, or a USB card
> reader. They disabled both at the same time, and the message went away.

Yes, really when IE1394 is disabled in bios problem is gone. Thanks! May be
this info make sense for publish in RelNotes?

> That appears to be the CAM subsystem probing for root-capable devices,
> from what I found via Google the other day.
>
> Jim

Paulo Fragoso

Apr 28, 2009, 8:53:36 AM4/28/09
Em 27/04/2009 14:16, Ken Smith escreveu:
> On Mon, 2009-04-27 at 14:10 -0300, Paulo Fragoso wrote:

>>> Just checking - is *everything* the same? For example is the media the
>>> same? Depending on a variety of things I've had issues with rewritable
>>> media versus write-once media, etc.
>>>
>>> The machine I test the release builds on before uploading them has a
>>> Gigabyte motherboard (G31M-ES2L) with a sata drive in it so it's not a
>>> generic "sata doesn't work" issue:
>>>
>>> acd0: DVDROM <Optiarc DVD-ROM DDU1675S/1.10> at ata0-slave SATA150
>>>
>>> If none of that helps we'd need more information about how far it gets
>>> before it stops.
>>>
>> I can say there is a problem to boot with cdrom since 7.2-BETA1.
>>
>> All system is same, all older version can boot in this machine: 6.1,
>> 6.2, ...,7.1, etc. amd64 or i386.
>>
>> I've burnt 03 media to test 7.2-RC2, one cd-rw burnt with cdrecord and
>> two cd-r burnt first with burncd and last was burnt with cdrecord.
>>
>> What I can do to help this release?
>>

> We need more information about how far it gets before it stops. Does it
> seem like it attempts the boot off the CD at all or does it just fall
> through to booting off the hard drive?

It try boot from cdrom and after a little time it boots from next device.

> If it does attempt to boot off
> the CD does it lock up with no messages? If there are messages what are
> the last few things it says?

It doesn't print any message and after that short time BIOS try next
device from boot order.

Paulo.

Paulo Fragoso

Apr 28, 2009, 9:18:16 AM4/28/09

If I try boot from 7.1-RELEASE cdrom this mensagens are printed after POST:

<POST>
Verifing BMI Pool Data ........
Boot from CD/DVD : CD Loader 1.2

Buildong the boot loader argumetns
<it boots from cdrom>

using 7.2-RC2 cdrom:

<POST>
Verifing BMI Pool Data ........
Boot from CD/DVD : (4,35 seconds)

NVIDIA Boot Agent 244.0538
<it boots from network>

Ken Smith

Apr 28, 2009, 9:30:51 AM4/28/09

--=-7KyvAiZb/3RzxI2ZJD7A

On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 09:52 -0300, Paulo Fragoso wrote:
> Em 27/04/2009 14:16, Ken Smith escreveu:

> > We need more information about how far it gets before it stops. Does i=

> > seem like it attempts the boot off the CD at all or does it just fall
> > through to booting off the hard drive?

>=20

> It try boot from cdrom and after a little time it boots from next device.

>=20

> > If it does attempt to boot off

> > the CD does it lock up with no messages? If there are messages what ar=

> > the last few things it says?

> >=20
>=20
> It doesn't print any message and after that short time BIOS try next=20
> device from boot order.

Thanks. That makes it sound like the BIOS doesn't think the CD is
bootable but I'm not sure why. We'll need to try and collect more
information from other sources to see if we can narrow it down (e.g.
whether it happens on other vendors' motherboards or just Gigabyte,
whether there are other combinations of SATA versus non-SATA optical
drives that cause problems, etc).

Just to collect as much information about this specific case as I can...
Are you using CD media or DVD media? Is there a chance you could try
the other type of media (e.g. if you're using CD media could you give
DVD media a quick try?) just to eliminate that as one of the variables?

--=20
Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to | kens...@cse.buffalo.edu
there, funny things are everywhere. |
- Theodore Geisel |

--=-7KyvAiZb/3RzxI2ZJD7A

--=-7KyvAiZb/3RzxI2ZJD7A--

Ken Smith

Apr 29, 2009, 8:02:59 AM4/29/09

--=-LpcwtplzvGgj4fetlBib

On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 09:52 -0300, Paulo Fragoso wrote:
> It doesn't print any message and after that short time BIOS try next=20
> device from boot order.

First a question just to verify - is this i386 or amd64? I'm guessing
i386.

One more thing to try if you don't mind. Could you try booting one of
the other bootable iso images (either bootonly or livefs), and if that
succeeds when it reaches the first screen of sysinstall swap in disc1
before proceeding with a normal install.

Thanks. Appreciate any testing you can do.

--=20
Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to | kens...@cse.buffalo.edu
there, funny things are everywhere. |
- Theodore Geisel |

--=-LpcwtplzvGgj4fetlBib

--=-LpcwtplzvGgj4fetlBib--

Paulo Fragoso

Apr 29, 2009, 8:19:38 AM4/29/09
Em 29/04/2009 09:01, Ken Smith escreveu:
> On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 09:52 -0300, Paulo Fragoso wrote:
>
>> It doesn't print any message and after that short time BIOS try next
>> device from boot order.
>>

> First a question just to verify - is this i386 or amd64? I'm guessing
> i386.

i386

> One more thing to try if you don't mind. Could you try booting one of
> the other bootable iso images (either bootonly or livefs), and if that
> succeeds when it reaches the first screen of sysinstall swap in disc1
> before proceeding with a normal install.
>
> Thanks. Appreciate any testing you can do.

I will try this and boot from dvd too.

I've already tested at my home and it boots sucessful. This media fails
on test pc.

Paulo Fragoso

Apr 29, 2009, 10:36:17 AM4/29/09
Em 29/04/2009 09:18, Paulo Fragoso escreveu:
> Em 29/04/2009 09:01, Ken Smith escreveu:
>> On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 09:52 -0300, Paulo Fragoso wrote:
>>
>>> It doesn't print any message and after that short time BIOS try next
>>> device from boot order.
>>>

>> First a question just to verify - is this i386 or amd64? I'm guessing
>> i386.
>>

> i386
>
>> One more thing to try if you don't mind. Could you try booting one of
>> the other bootable iso images (either bootonly or livefs), and if that
>> succeeds when it reaches the first screen of sysinstall swap in disc1
>> before proceeding with a normal install.
>>
>> Thanks. Appreciate any testing you can do.
>>

> I will try this and boot from dvd too.

Hardware:
MB: Gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2

acd0: DVDR <HL-DT-STDVD-RAM GH22NS30/1.01> at ata3-master SATA150

ISO MEDIA BOOT
7.2-RC2-i386-dvd1.iso DVD-RW OK
7.2-RC2-i386-livefs.iso CD-RW OK!
7.2-RC2-amd64-disc1.iso CD-RW OK
7.2-RC2-i386-disc1.iso CD-RW,CD-R FAILS

Ken Smith

Apr 29, 2009, 11:03:39 AM4/29/09

--=-Ffh+UpsAbnBKETbt7Ha/

On Wed, 2009-04-29 at 11:33 -0300, Paulo Fragoso wrote:
> Hardware:
> MB: Gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2
> acd0: DVDR <HL-DT-STDVD-RAM GH22NS30/1.01> at ata3-master SATA150

>=20

> ISO MEDIA BOOT
> 7.2-RC2-i386-dvd1.iso DVD-RW OK
> 7.2-RC2-i386-livefs.iso CD-RW OK!
> 7.2-RC2-amd64-disc1.iso CD-RW OK
> 7.2-RC2-i386-disc1.iso CD-RW,CD-R FAILS

Thanks, greatly appreciate all the testing.

As part of looking into this I went looking for another Gigabyte
motherboard and through the past 2 days was able to test the same set of
things with the same results. So far I haven't been able to reproduce
this on anything but Gigabyte. This is such a bizarre problem I really
needed someone else to confirm so thank you very much. Since there is a
workaround I don't think I'll hold the release for this problem but we
will need to mention this in the Errata (and possibly the announcement
itself).

--=20
Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to | kens...@cse.buffalo.edu
there, funny things are everywhere. |
- Theodore Geisel |

--=-Ffh+UpsAbnBKETbt7Ha/

--=-Ffh+UpsAbnBKETbt7Ha/--

Doug Hardie

Apr 29, 2009, 5:41:32 PM4/29/09

On 29 April 2009, at 08:01, Ken Smith wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-04-29 at 11:33 -0300, Paulo Fragoso wrote:
>> Hardware:
>> MB: Gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2
>> acd0: DVDR <HL-DT-STDVD-RAM GH22NS30/1.01> at ata3-master SATA150
>>

>> ISO MEDIA BOOT
>> 7.2-RC2-i386-dvd1.iso DVD-RW OK
>> 7.2-RC2-i386-livefs.iso CD-RW OK!
>> 7.2-RC2-amd64-disc1.iso CD-RW OK
>> 7.2-RC2-i386-disc1.iso CD-RW,CD-R FAILS
>
> Thanks, greatly appreciate all the testing.
>
> As part of looking into this I went looking for another Gigabyte
> motherboard and through the past 2 days was able to test the same
> set of
> things with the same results. So far I haven't been able to reproduce
> this on anything but Gigabyte. This is such a bizarre problem I
> really
> needed someone else to confirm so thank you very much. Since there
> is a
> workaround I don't think I'll hold the release for this problem but we
> will need to mention this in the Errata (and possibly the announcement
> itself).

I have a number of different test PCs available. 7.2-RC2 Live FS
boots just fine on all. Disk 1 is not recognized as bootable on any
of them. I can provide any specs that might help. They are all quite
different. Mostly older units. Newest is probably about 5 years old.