Problem with send-pr

Giorgos Keramidas

Nov 7, 2001, 7:35:38 PM11/7/01
On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 10:01:37AM +0100, Nils Holland wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I just wanted to use the send-pr command in order to submit a piece of
> documentation to the FreeBSD Project, but I ran into some peoblems which
> made my submission not come through. Here's what's wrong:
>
> Whenever I invoke send-pr and send something with it, it sets the
> originating eMail address = my username @ my hostname. Since the machine
> I'm currently working on is called howie.ncptiddische.net, it would set
> the originating eMail address to ni...@howie.ncptiddische.net.

That's because your MTA (Sendmail, Qmail or something) does not alter
the `envelope from' address of mail that originates from your machine.

When I was trying to find my way around, and send a bug report with
send-pr, the changes I had to make to my Sendmail configuration were
simple. I just had to configure Sendmail to make the envelope-from of
all mail coming from my personal account look like it was coming from
a valid e-mail account I have.

My machine thinks that it's name is "hades.hell.gr", an address that
does not resolve. So, I changed my /etc/mail/sendmail.mc to include:

FEATURE(`genericstable', `btree -o /etc/mail/genericstable')dnl
GENERICS_DOMAIN(`hell.gr')dnl
FEATURE(`generics_entire_domain')dnl

I rebuilt my sendmail.cf, and created a file called genericstable in
/etc/mail with the line:

cha...@hades.hell.gr cha...@labs.gr
cha...@hell.gr cha...@labs.gr

Rebuilt the genericstable.db table with:

% makemap btree genericstable < genericstable

And, finally restarted my Sendmail :-)

# killall -HUP sendmail

This way, when I do not specify an envelope address with the -f option
to /usr/sbin/sendmail, it uses cha...@hades.hell.gr which gets mapped
to cha...@labs.gr with genericstable, and the logs say something
similar to:

Oct 19 20:54:22 hades sendmail[21724]: f9JHsLU21724: from=cha...@labs.gr, \
size=2706, class=0, nrcpts=0, \
msgid=<20011019205421.A21519 @hades.hell.gr>, relay=charon@localhost

The envelope-from address as you can see has been rewritten (that is
what from=cha...@labs.gr means).