پہلے نہ پڑھے ہوئے پیغام پر جائیں

Martin Wilke

نہ پڑھا ہوا،
19 فروری، 2011، 8:25:10 AM19/2/11
بنام

Oy boys and gals,

The Xorg T(m)eam is happy to announce the next round of Xorg fun! The X-Server
has been patched to the latest 1.7.X series, drivers and fonts have been
updated to the latest versions, but unfortunately we are not able to update libGL,
drm and xorg-server to a higher version because FreeBSD doesn't support GEM/KSE
(yet), but it looks good for now, as kib@ is working on that, so we hope the future
will be better for us. This update includes some components from Xorg 7.6 with a lot of
improvements, and it seems that the performance is much better than the old version.
We are calling the update xorg 7.5.1.

We hope you will enjoy the new stuff and give us a lot of feedback. We will start an
exp-run tonight and depending on how much feedback we get, we plan to commit this
update by the first weekend of March. A note for ATI users, the driver was updated to
6.14.0, so you may need to add some stuff to your xorg.conf in the "Section "Device""

Option "int10" "on"
Option "BudType" "PCIE"
Option "RendrAccel" "on"
Option "AccelMethod" "exa"
Option "DynamicPM" "on"
Option "DRI" "on"

So to get the xorg stuff you will need to:

run

svn co https://trillian.chruetertee.ch/svn/ports/branches/xorg-dev

A small merge script to merge the svn checkout into the real portstree
can be found here:

http://people.freebsd.org/~miwi/xorg/xorgmerge

The script is a modified version of the kdemerge script. Please set the
KDEDIR variable to the path of your X.org ports.

After merging, run one of the following command, depending on which tool
you use to manage your installed packages.

portupgrade -a \*
portmaster -a

Please report any problems and issues to x11 (at) FreeBSD.org.

I would like to thank:

Beat Gaetzi
Dima Panov
Koop Mast
Eitan Adler

Without these people the Xorg update would still not be ready now.

PS: Please don't send us mails with 'xorg update dosen't' work.
If you send us a report, please include the latest Xorg.conf
Xorg.log, uname -a output and pkg_info output. Thanks.

Happy Updating!

- --
+-----------------oOO--(_)--OOo-------------------------+
With best Regards,
Martin Wilke (miwi_(at)_FreeBSD.org)

Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest

Martin Wilke

نہ پڑھا ہوا،
19 فروری، 2011، 11:03:55 AM19/2/11
بنام
On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 11:37 PM, Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Feb 2011, Martin Wilke wrote:
>
> We hope you will enjoy the new stuff and give us a lot of feedback. We
>> will start an
>> exp-run tonight and depending on how much feedback we get, we plan to
>> commit this
>> update by the first weekend of March. A note for ATI users, the driver was
>> updated to
>> 6.14.0, so you may need to add some stuff to your xorg.conf in the
>> "Section "Device""
>>
>> Option "int10" "on"
>> Option "BudType" "PCIE"
>> Option "RendrAccel" "on"
>> Option "AccelMethod" "exa"
>> Option "DynamicPM" "on"
>> Option "DRI" "on"
>>

> Should be "BusType" and "RenderAccel". Except for BusType and DynamicPM,
> those are defaults.

Ups yes should :)

Warren Block

نہ پڑھا ہوا،
19 فروری، 2011، 10:37:07 AM19/2/11
بنام
On Sat, 19 Feb 2011, Martin Wilke wrote:

> We hope you will enjoy the new stuff and give us a lot of feedback. We will start an
> exp-run tonight and depending on how much feedback we get, we plan to commit this
> update by the first weekend of March. A note for ATI users, the driver was updated to
> 6.14.0, so you may need to add some stuff to your xorg.conf in the "Section "Device""
>
> Option "int10" "on"
> Option "BudType" "PCIE"
> Option "RendrAccel" "on"
> Option "AccelMethod" "exa"
> Option "DynamicPM" "on"
> Option "DRI" "on"

Should be "BusType" and "RenderAccel". Except for BusType and
DynamicPM, those are defaults.

Ruslan Mahmatkhanov

نہ پڑھا ہوا،
19 فروری، 2011، 11:05:37 AM19/2/11
بنام

I've successfully upgraded on 8-stable i386 with intel video driver.
I'm didn't measured anything but subjectively new windows (xterm f.e.)
appears more faster than in xorg 7.5.
Thanks!

PS. There was couple of warnings about missing `xmlto` and not-existing
--enable-malloc0returnsnull option.

19.02.2011 16:25, Martin Wilke пишет:

> Oy boys and gals,
>
> The Xorg T(m)eam is happy to announce the next round of Xorg fun! The X-Server
> has been patched to the latest 1.7.X series, drivers and fonts have been
> updated to the latest versions, but unfortunately we are not able to update libGL,
> drm and xorg-server to a higher version because FreeBSD doesn't support GEM/KSE
> (yet), but it looks good for now, as kib@ is working on that, so we hope the future
> will be better for us. This update includes some components from Xorg 7.6 with a lot of
> improvements, and it seems that the performance is much better than the old version.
> We are calling the update xorg 7.5.1.
>

> We hope you will enjoy the new stuff and give us a lot of feedback. We will start an
> exp-run tonight and depending on how much feedback we get, we plan to commit this
> update by the first weekend of March. A note for ATI users, the driver was updated to
> 6.14.0, so you may need to add some stuff to your xorg.conf in the "Section "Device""
>
> Option "int10" "on"
> Option "BudType" "PCIE"
> Option "RendrAccel" "on"
> Option "AccelMethod" "exa"
> Option "DynamicPM" "on"
> Option "DRI" "on"

Regards,
Ruslan

Warren Block

نہ پڑھا ہوا،
19 فروری، 2011، 3:18:39 PM19/2/11
بنام
On Sat, 19 Feb 2011, Martin Wilke wrote:

> The Xorg T(m)eam is happy to announce the next round of Xorg fun! The X-Server
> has been patched to the latest 1.7.X series, drivers and fonts have been
> updated to the latest versions, but unfortunately we are not able to update libGL,
> drm and xorg-server to a higher version because FreeBSD doesn't support GEM/KSE
> (yet), but it looks good for now, as kib@ is working on that, so we hope the future
> will be better for us. This update includes some components from Xorg 7.6 with a lot of
> improvements, and it seems that the performance is much better than the old version.
> We are calling the update xorg 7.5.1.

No problems noticed on an Intel GM965/GL960 chipset with
xf86-intel-2.7.1_4.

Warren Block

نہ پڑھا ہوا،
19 فروری، 2011، 4:15:55 PM19/2/11
بنام
On Sat, 19 Feb 2011, Martin Wilke wrote:

> We are calling the update xorg 7.5.1.

Works fine (barely tested) on an Atom netbook with Intel graphics,
Mobile Intel 945GSE.

Warren Block

نہ پڑھا ہوا،
19 فروری، 2011، 4:22:11 PM19/2/11
بنام
On Sat, 19 Feb 2011, Martin Wilke wrote:

> We are calling the update xorg 7.5.1.

x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati is missing the files directory and the
patches in it. Once those are added and the driver reinstalled, it
works fine.

Brandon Gooch

نہ پڑھا ہوا،
23 فروری، 2011، 11:52:55 AM23/2/11
بنام
On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 7:25 AM, Martin Wilke <mi...@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Oy boys and gals,
>
> The Xorg T(m)eam is happy to announce the next round of Xorg fun! The X-Server
> has been patched to the latest 1.7.X series, drivers and fonts have been
> updated to the latest versions, but unfortunately we are not able to update libGL,
> drm and xorg-server to a higher version because FreeBSD doesn't support GEM/KSE
> (yet), but it looks good for now, as kib@ is working on that, so we hope the future
> will be better for us. This update includes some components from Xorg 7.6 with a lot of
> improvements, and it seems that the performance is much better than the old version.
> We are calling the update xorg 7.5.1.

Working well here -- I see and "feel" noticeable improvement in screen
drawing and interactivity with window items. Page scrolling in Firefox
seems faster. Of course, it could be rather subjective :)

An interesting thing as well, which I wasn't expecting: ACPI
suspend/resume support has dramatically improved in speed and
resilience. It takes just about a second for the display to come back
on after resuming, where it would take between 3 to 5 seconds prior to
the update. Cool :)

A big "Thank You" to all of you!

-Brandon

Andriy Gapon

نہ پڑھا ہوا،
23 فروری، 2011، 12:11:50 PM23/2/11
بنام
on 19/02/2011 15:25 Martin Wilke said the following:

> but unfortunately we are not able to update libGL,
> drm and xorg-server to a higher version because FreeBSD doesn't support GEM/KSE

Just to clarify, just in case.

Do you specifically mean systems with Intel video hardware?
Because I've been using mesa 7.8.2 for quite a while here with radeon hardware and
I haven't seen any problems from that.

--
Andriy Gapon

Martin Wilke

نہ پڑھا ہوا،
23 فروری، 2011، 5:54:07 PM23/2/11
بنام
On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 1:11 AM, Andriy Gapon <a...@freebsd.org> wrote:

> on 19/02/2011 15:25 Martin Wilke said the following:
> > but unfortunately we are not able to update libGL,
> > drm and xorg-server to a higher version because FreeBSD doesn't support
> GEM/KSE
>
> Just to clarify, just in case.
>
> Do you specifically mean systems with Intel video hardware?
> Because I've been using mesa 7.8.2 for quite a while here with radeon
> hardware and
> I haven't seen any problems from that.

Yes.

Andriy Gapon

نہ پڑھا ہوا،
24 فروری، 2011، 2:40:42 AM24/2/11
بنام
on 24/02/2011 00:54 Martin Wilke said the following:

> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 1:11 AM, Andriy Gapon <a...@freebsd.org
> <mailto:a...@freebsd.org>> wrote:
>
> on 19/02/2011 15:25 Martin Wilke said the following:
> > but unfortunately we are not able to update libGL,
> > drm and xorg-server to a higher version because FreeBSD doesn't support
> GEM/KSE
>
> Just to clarify, just in case.
>
> Do you specifically mean systems with Intel video hardware?
> Because I've been using mesa 7.8.2 for quite a while here with radeon
> hardware and
> I haven't seen any problems from that.
>

> Yes.

Hopefully the kib's work will bring results sufficiently soon.
Otherwise we might want to consider WITHOUT_INTEL similarly to WITHOUT_NOUVEAU.

Mickaël Maillot

نہ پڑھا ہوا،
24 فروری، 2011، 6:07:29 AM24/2/11
بنام
2011/2/19 Martin Wilke <mi...@freebsd.org>:

> We are calling the update xorg 7.5.1.

Works perfectly fine here on: 9-curent and 2 8-stable amd64
all with nvidia-driver-270.26.

notice: nvidia-driver must be recompiled after update.

Alberto Villa

نہ پڑھا ہوا،
24 فروری، 2011، 6:40:57 AM24/2/11
بنام
seems to work fine here as well with current and nvidia. xorg 7.5 used to
raise cpu usage to 100% after few hours, which sometimes resulted in
system deadlock if not caught in time. after the update i've had no
problems yet, and uptime is now 17 hours
i can't say about an overall performance upgrade, but the one above
already looks to me a great result

On Thursday 24 February 2011 12:07:29 Mickaël Maillot wrote:
> notice: nvidia-driver must be recompiled after update.

it's working fine for me even without recompiling
--
Alberto Villa, FreeBSD committer <avi...@FreeBSD.org>
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~avilla

We may eventually come to realize that chastity is no more a virtue
than malnutrition.
-- Alex Comfort

signature.asc

Alberto Villa

نہ پڑھا ہوا،
24 فروری، 2011، 6:40:57 AM24/2/11
بنام
signature.asc

Urankar Mikael

نہ پڑھا ہوا،
24 فروری، 2011، 10:16:24 AM24/2/11
بنام
On Sat 19 February 2011 at 09:25:10PM +0800, Martin Wilke wrote:
> We are calling the update xorg 7.5.1.

Works fine here on 9-current amd64 with a GeForce Go 7300
(xf86-intel-2.7.1_4) and a ati r710 (xf86-video-ati-6.14.0)

Thanks !

Martin Wilke

نہ پڑھا ہوا،
25 فروری، 2011، 8:59:13 AM25/2/11
بنام
please rebuild nvidia-driver and restart complete all.

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 9:30 PM, Mickaël Maillot
<mickael...@gmail.com>wrote:

> 2011/2/24 Alberto Villa <avi...@freebsd.org>:

> > On Thursday 24 February 2011 12:07:29 Mickaël Maillot wrote:
> >> notice: nvidia-driver must be recompiled after update.
> >
> > it's working fine for me even without recompiling

> like XBMC or wine + Windows's games.
>
> relevant part of Xorg.log:
>
> (**) Feb 21 17:57:08 NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration
> (EE) Feb 21 17:57:08 NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the GLX module;
> please check in your X
> (EE) Feb 21 17:57:08 NVIDIA(0): log file that the GLX module has
> been loaded in your X
> (EE) Feb 21 17:57:08 NVIDIA(0): server, and that the module is the
> NVIDIA GLX module. If
> (EE) Feb 21 17:57:08 NVIDIA(0): you continue to encounter
> problems, Please try
> (EE) Feb 21 17:57:08 NVIDIA(0): reinstalling the NVIDIA driver.
> (II) Feb 21 17:57:09 NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce 8600 GTS (G84) at
> PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)
>
> full log attached

Martin Wilke

نہ پڑھا ہوا،
25 فروری، 2011، 8:59:13 AM25/2/11
بنام

Alberto Villa

نہ پڑھا ہوا،
25 فروری، 2011، 12:28:54 PM25/2/11
بنام
On Friday 25 February 2011 14:30:47 Mickaël Maillot wrote:
> like XBMC or wine + Windows's games.

yes, after some hours it started complaining, and rebuilding fixed it

--
Alberto Villa, FreeBSD committer <avi...@FreeBSD.org>
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~avilla

In fiction the recourse of the powerless is murder;
in life the recourse of the powerless is petty theft.

signature.asc

Alberto Villa

نہ پڑھا ہوا،
25 فروری، 2011، 12:28:54 PM25/2/11