Java on FreeBSD/sparc64

Greg Lewis

Dec 15, 2009, 2:33:12 AM12/15/09

It's slow and I'm not particularly confident of how well it works on SMP.
But if you're feeling adventurous and have FreeBSD/sparc64 8.0 and a yen
to use Java then you might be interested in trying it out.

http://people.freebsd.org/~glewis/openjdk7-freebsd-8.0-sparc64.tar.gz

Note that this isn't a package, its just a tarball based on the BSD port
of OpenJDK 7.

If you were particuarly keen you could install Mercurial with the forest
extension, hg fclone http://hg.openjdk.java.net/bsd-port/bsd-port/ and
see if you could use it as a bootstrap to port HotSpot so it was faster.

Sorry, I don't think I have the bandwidth to get this going on 7.x right
now. If you'd like to I can outline roughly what I did.

There will eventually be an openjdk7 port that will make this easier.

--
Greg Lewis Email : gle...@eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond Web : http://www.eyesbeyond.com