Problem install FreeBSD 6.0 on Dell PowerEdge 2850

Hoang Lang-E11272

Nov 30, 2005, 5:18:00 PM11/30/05
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (2) 2.8GHZ, 2GB RAM
I configure 2 hard drive as RAID 1 or 2 drives as RAID 0 each but still having same problem.
I upgraded to latest bios A04 and LSI Logic Perc 4e/Di Raid firmware to 521S-A05 but still having problem when installing FreeBSD 6.0 both i386 and ADM64. It is hanging at Extracting Base into / directory ... at 45%. I tried so many times with different CDs as well.

When I hit Alt + Control+ Delete, error come up " Write failure on transfer! (wrote 655360 bytes of 1425408 bytes) (100%) Press enter or space OK. If I hit Alt+Control+Delete again, another message User Confirmation Requested "Unable to transfer the base distribution from acd0. Do you want to try to retrieve it again? If I hit yes, "Unable to open base/base.inf: User interrupt... Reinitialize media?
This machine didn't have any problem with CentOS 4 or FreeBSD 5.4.

I already spent couple days already but no luck at all.

I need help please

Thank you,

Claus Guttesen

Nov 30, 2005, 6:05:00 PM11/30/05
> Dell PowerEdge 2850 (2) 2.8GHZ, 2GB RAM
> I configure 2 hard drive as RAID 1 or 2 drives as RAID 0 each but still h=
aving same problem.

Is HTT on or off in bios?

regards
Claus

Hoang Lang-E11272

Nov 30, 2005, 7:56:51 PM11/30/05
Thank you all for your help.

I finally got FreeBSD 6.0 to install on my Dell 2850 by changing the bios setting from Internal RAID to SCSI. The installation went smothly, so I guess there is the something with the RAID driver in FreeBSD 6.0

Scott Long

Nov 30, 2005, 10:14:39 PM11/30/05
Hoang Lang-E11272 wrote:
> Thank you all for your help.
>
> I finally got FreeBSD 6.0 to install on my Dell 2850 by changing the bios setting from Internal RAID to SCSI. The installation went smothly, so I guess there is the something with the RAID driver in FreeBSD 6.0

There is indeed a bug in the amr RAID driver, though I haven't seen your
particular symptoms. I have a patch to work around the bug, but it only
helps if you have an installed system and can compile a kernel. I'm
considering building an unofficial 6.0-RELEASE with the patch so that
people with this problem can try it out.

Scott

Michael Vince

Nov 30, 2005, 10:35:56 PM11/30/05
Maybe if you don't actually have a multi drive raid configuration theres
no point in having the bios set to RAID and doing so reveals a bug in
the amr driver.

Mike

Doug Ambrisko

Dec 1, 2005, 7:22:56 PM12/1/05
Scott Long writes:

| Hoang Lang-E11272 wrote:
| > I finally got FreeBSD 6.0 to install on my Dell 2850 by changing the
| > bios setting from Internal RAID to SCSI. The installation went smothly,
| > so I guess there is the something with the RAID driver in FreeBSD 6.0
|
| There is indeed a bug in the amr RAID driver, though I haven't seen your
| particular symptoms. I have a patch to work around the bug, but it only
| helps if you have an installed system and can compile a kernel. I'm
| considering building an unofficial 6.0-RELEASE with the patch so that
| people with this problem can try it out.

I hope your working with ps on this since a bunch of us have various
patches etc. to the amr driver floating around. He (er. Yahoo seems
to be keeper of the various bits). I'm tracking our own, LSI, Yahoo's
and at times FreeBSD.

A few us have Dell PE2850 family. However, a bunch of us have limited
time. My focus is in FreeBSD 4.X with some dabbling in 6/-current.

Doug A.