Re: GEOM: ad10s1: geometry does not match label (255h, 63s != 16h,

Marcel Moolenaar

Mar 19, 2009, 11:39:51 AM3/19/09

On Mar 19, 2009, at 6:36 AM, O. Hartmann wrote:

> Since I switched recently my lab's box from FreeBSD 7.1 to FreeBSD
> 8.0-CURRENT/amd64 SMP, I get this weird message:
>
> GEOM: ad10s1: geometry does not match label (255h,63s != 16h,63s).
> GEOM: ad10s2: geometry does not match label (255h,63s != 16h,63s).

It means that the number of heads the disk reports it has is
not the same as the number of heads that sysinstall put in
the BSD disklabel. A mismatch for the number of heads is
generally speaking harmless, but the discrepancy is there
and it may be a problem in some cases. Hence the message.

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcl...@mac.com

Ed Schouten

Mar 19, 2009, 12:10:42 PM3/19/09

--eoIDHIhs9vfKIXA8

* Marcel Moolenaar <xcl...@mac.com> wrote:
> It means that the number of heads the disk reports it has is
> not the same as the number of heads that sysinstall put in
> the BSD disklabel. A mismatch for the number of heads is
> generally speaking harmless, but the discrepancy is there
> and it may be a problem in some cases. Hence the message.

Is there a simple way to repair this?

--=20
Ed Schouten <e...@80386.nl>
WWW: http://80386.nl/

--eoIDHIhs9vfKIXA8

--eoIDHIhs9vfKIXA8--

Marcel Moolenaar

Mar 19, 2009, 12:31:34 PM3/19/09

On Mar 19, 2009, at 9:06 AM, Ed Schouten wrote:

> * Marcel Moolenaar <xcl...@mac.com> wrote:
>> It means that the number of heads the disk reports it has is
>> not the same as the number of heads that sysinstall put in
>> the BSD disklabel. A mismatch for the number of heads is
>> generally speaking harmless, but the discrepancy is there
>> and it may be a problem in some cases. Hence the message.
>
> Is there a simple way to repair this?

bsdlabel -e -A $dev

Fix "tracks/cylinder" and recalculate "sectors/cylinder".
Based on "sectors/unit" and "sectors/cylinder", adjust
"cylinders" accordingly.

You want to boot from an alternate media for this.

I haven't decided how (if at all) this should be fixable
with gpart. A "recreate" verb could do the trick...