HEADS UP: MAJOR changes to the ports system

1 view

Joe Marcus Clarke

Feb 4, 2004, 2:53:48 AM2/4/04

--=-CpgyWPLmCArzuvCcr9wY

Sorry for the wide distribution, but it is critical that -CURRENT users
hear this. Two _MAJOR_ changes just went in to the ports tree that are
bound to cause some pain to -CURRENT users. =20

The first is the change in default threading libraries. The ports
system now uses -lpthread when linking ports instead of -lc_r. Binaries
that wind up with both libc_r and libpthread in them will cause
problems. In that case, it is imperative that you report this to the
port's maintainer ASAP. You can use pkg_info -W /path/to/binary to
determine which port installed it.

Second, Perl 5.8.2 is now the default version of Perl in -CURRENT since
the 5.2 split. This replaces Perl 5.6.1 as the default. Note: Perl
5.00503 is still the default version of Perl in the 4.X base OS.

If you experience problems with any of these changes (or with the other
recent changes listed in /usr/ports/CHANGES), please report them on the
ports@ list and to the appropriate maintainers as soon as possible.=20
Thanks.

Joe

--=20
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team :: gn...@FreeBSD.org
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome
http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome

--=-CpgyWPLmCArzuvCcr9wY

--=-CpgyWPLmCArzuvCcr9wY--

Julian Elischer

Feb 4, 2004, 3:27:12 AM2/4/04

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> Sorry for the wide distribution, but it is critical that -CURRENT users
> hear this. Two _MAJOR_ changes just went in to the ports tree that are
> bound to cause some pain to -CURRENT users.

I'm glad to hear about this and I wouldn't mind hearing regularly about
major events over in the ports tree.

Joe Marcus Clarke

Feb 4, 2004, 3:37:00 AM2/4/04

--=-CSdGWmfLdDs6xgoJ+8Au

On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 03:22, Julian Elischer wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

>=20

> > Sorry for the wide distribution, but it is critical that -CURRENT users
> > hear this. Two _MAJOR_ changes just went in to the ports tree that are

> > bound to cause some pain to -CURRENT users. =20
> >=20
>=20

> I'm glad to hear about this and I wouldn't mind hearing regularly about
> major events over in the ports tree.

I've started doing this. The full summary was sent to ports@ and
ports-developers@, plus I added a copy to /usr/ports/CHANGES. This is
now the second major ports update I've summarized. Once the archives
get back up to speed, you should be able to see my previous summary.

Joe

>=20

--=20
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team :: gn...@FreeBSD.org
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome
http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome

--=-CSdGWmfLdDs6xgoJ+8Au

--=-CSdGWmfLdDs6xgoJ+8Au--

Vladimir B. Grebenschikov

Feb 4, 2004, 6:12:12 AM2/4/04
=F7 =D3=D2, 04.02.2004, =D7 11:31, Joe Marcus Clarke =D0=C9=DB=C5=D4:

> On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 03:22, Julian Elischer wrote:
> > On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> >=20
> > > Sorry for the wide distribution, but it is critical that -CURRENT use=
rs
> > > hear this. Two _MAJOR_ changes just went in to the ports tree that a=

re
> > > bound to cause some pain to -CURRENT users. =20
> > >=20
> >=20
> > I'm glad to hear about this and I wouldn't mind hearing regularly about
> > major events over in the ports tree.
>=20

> I've started doing this. The full summary was sent to ports@ and
> ports-developers@, plus I added a copy to /usr/ports/CHANGES. This is
> now the second major ports update I've summarized. Once the archives
> get back up to speed, you should be able to see my previous summary.

How about gettext -> gettext-old transition ? A lot of ports still=20
depends on gettext-old while others on gettext, gettext conflicts with=20
gettext-old, and, as result, portupgrade -af constatntly tries to
install gettext-old as dependancy and fails.

> Joe

--=20
Vladimir B. Grebenschikov <vo...@fbsd.ru>
SWsoft Inc.
--=20
Vladimir B. Grebenchikov
TSB "Russian Express"

Vladimir B. Grebenschikov

Feb 4, 2004, 8:17:22 AM2/4/04

> Joe

Kris Kennaway

Feb 4, 2004, 1:51:30 PM2/4/04

--3uo+9/B/ebqu+fSQ

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 02:12:29PM +0300, Vladimir B. Grebenschikov wrote:
> ? ??, 04.02.2004, ? 11:31, Joe Marcus Clarke ?????:

> > On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 03:22, Julian Elischer wrote:
> > > On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > >=20

are

> > >=20

> > > I'm glad to hear about this and I wouldn't mind hearing regularly abo=

ut
> > > major events over in the ports tree.
> >=20
> > I've started doing this. The full summary was sent to ports@ and
> > ports-developers@, plus I added a copy to /usr/ports/CHANGES. This is
> > now the second major ports update I've summarized. Once the archives
> > get back up to speed, you should be able to see my previous summary.

>=20

> How about gettext -> gettext-old transition ? A lot of ports still=20
> depends on gettext-old while others on gettext, gettext conflicts with=20
> gettext-old, and, as result, portupgrade -af constatntly tries to
> install gettext-old as dependancy and fails.

Not any more...you're out of date :-)

Kris

--3uo+9/B/ebqu+fSQ

--3uo+9/B/ebqu+fSQ--

Joe Marcus Clarke

Feb 4, 2004, 2:37:37 PM2/4/04

--=-JrhN34ayeNnIFG9YH7Xo

On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 14:24, Gary Kline wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 03:31:32AM -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 03:22, Julian Elischer wrote:
> > > On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > >=20
> > >=20
> > > I'm glad to hear about this and I wouldn't mind hearing regularly abo=
ut
> > > major events over in the ports tree.
> >=20
> > I've started doing this. The full summary was sent to ports@ and
> > ports-developers@, plus I added a copy to /usr/ports/CHANGES. This is
> > now the second major ports update I've summarized. Once the archives
> > get back up to speed, you should be able to see my previous summary.
> >=20

>=20
> A quick comment and question re the ports tree. =20
> Since the ./distinfo file began listing the "SIZE=3D"
> line, my portupgrade scripts (and fetch) have broken
> when I upgrade. I'm running 4.7PRE and 4.8PRE. (I'm
> trying to floppy install 5.2-RELEASE, as well.)
>=20
> Do I need to get a new version of fetch? Hand-deleting
> the SIZE line in the ./distinfo file is a temp
> workaround; is there a better way? ...I must have=20
> missed *something*........

The latest bsd.port.mk changes should have fixed this. The -S argument
is only passed to fetch i OSVERSION >=3D 480000. If you're still running
into problems, try adding DISABLE_SIZE=3Dyes to /etc/make.conf.

Joe

>=20
> gary
>=20

>=20
--=20
Joe Marcus Clarke

FreeBSD GNOME Team :: mar...@FreeBSD.org

gn...@FreeBSD.org
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome
http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome

--=-JrhN34ayeNnIFG9YH7Xo

--=-JrhN34ayeNnIFG9YH7Xo--

Ion-Mihai Tetcu

Feb 4, 2004, 2:40:49 PM2/4/04
On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 11:24:10 -0800
Gary Kline <kl...@thought.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 03:31:32AM -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> > > I'm glad to hear about this and I wouldn't mind hearing regularly about

> > > major events over in the ports tree.
> >

> > I've started doing this. The full summary was sent to ports@ and
> > ports-developers@, plus I added a copy to /usr/ports/CHANGES. This is
> > now the second major ports update I've summarized. Once the archives
> > get back up to speed, you should be able to see my previous summary.
> >

> A quick comment and question re the ports tree.

> Since the ./distinfo file began listing the "SIZE="

> line, my portupgrade scripts (and fetch) have broken
> when I upgrade. I'm running 4.7PRE and 4.8PRE. (I'm
> trying to floppy install 5.2-RELEASE, as well.)

Check /usr/ports/CHANGES and cvsup again, it has been fixed.

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD user

Kevin Oberman

Feb 4, 2004, 6:01:07 PM2/4/04
> From: Joe Marcus Clarke <mar...@FreeBSD.org>
> Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 02:49:15 -0500
> Sender: owner-free...@freebsd.org

> Sorry for the wide distribution, but it is critical that -CURRENT users
> hear this. Two _MAJOR_ changes just went in to the ports tree that are
> bound to cause some pain to -CURRENT users. =20
>
> The first is the change in default threading libraries. The ports
> system now uses -lpthread when linking ports instead of -lc_r. Binaries
> that wind up with both libc_r and libpthread in them will cause
> problems. In that case, it is imperative that you report this to the
> port's maintainer ASAP. You can use pkg_info -W /path/to/binary to
> determine which port installed it.
>
> Second, Perl 5.8.2 is now the default version of Perl in -CURRENT since
> the 5.2 split. This replaces Perl 5.6.1 as the default. Note: Perl
> 5.00503 is still the default version of Perl in the 4.X base OS.
>
> If you experience problems with any of these changes (or with the other
> recent changes listed in /usr/ports/CHANGES), please report them on the
> ports@ list and to the appropriate maintainers as soon as possible.
> Thanks.

OK. After last night's massive adjustment of PORTREVISION, I set u to
rebuild most everything in ports. I did the standard 'portupgrade -Ra'
and away it went. Soon enough of the low-level libs were re-built that
nothing much would run, but I figured that it would be better as soon as
everything finished building.

Then, after installing the updated librep, ruby dumped core. Now I can't
run and of the portupgrade tools except portsdb. I have re-built ruby
and the things built on it for portupgrade, but I still fail with the
error:
ruby in malloc(): error: allocation failed
Abort (core dumped)

Any idea what might be causing this and what I can do to fix it? Getting
everything re-built in the correct order without portupgrade will be very
unpleasant with over 180 ports left to re-build!

Thanks,
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)

Joe Marcus Clarke

Feb 4, 2004, 6:04:05 PM2/4/04

--=-hTZZlYlR23+XSEWaXjJV

On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 18:00, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > From: Joe Marcus Clarke <mar...@FreeBSD.org>
> > Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 02:49:15 -0500
> > Sender: owner-free...@freebsd.org

> >=20

> > Sorry for the wide distribution, but it is critical that -CURRENT users
> > hear this. Two _MAJOR_ changes just went in to the ports tree that are

> > bound to cause some pain to -CURRENT users. =3D20

> >=20
> > The first is the change in default threading libraries. The ports

> > system now uses -lpthread when linking ports instead of -lc_r. Binarie=

> > that wind up with both libc_r and libpthread in them will cause
> > problems. In that case, it is imperative that you report this to the
> > port's maintainer ASAP. You can use pkg_info -W /path/to/binary to
> > determine which port installed it.

> >=20

> > Second, Perl 5.8.2 is now the default version of Perl in -CURRENT since
> > the 5.2 split. This replaces Perl 5.6.1 as the default. Note: Perl
> > 5.00503 is still the default version of Perl in the 4.X base OS.

> >=20

> > If you experience problems with any of these changes (or with the other
> > recent changes listed in /usr/ports/CHANGES), please report them on the
> > ports@ list and to the appropriate maintainers as soon as possible.
> > Thanks.

>=20

> OK. After last night's massive adjustment of PORTREVISION, I set u to
> rebuild most everything in ports. I did the standard 'portupgrade -Ra'
> and away it went. Soon enough of the low-level libs were re-built that
> nothing much would run, but I figured that it would be better as soon as
> everything finished building.

>=20

> Then, after installing the updated librep, ruby dumped core. Now I can't
> run and of the portupgrade tools except portsdb. I have re-built ruby
> and the things built on it for portupgrade, but I still fail with the
> error:
> ruby in malloc(): error: allocation failed
> Abort (core dumped)

>=20

> Any idea what might be causing this and what I can do to fix it? Getting
> everything re-built in the correct order without portupgrade will be very
> unpleasant with over 180 ports left to re-build!

Have you rebuild world and kernel today? Also, check the ruby binary
with ldd to see if it's linked to both libc_r and libpthread. If it is,
report that to knu.

Joe

>=20
> Thanks,

--=20
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team :: mar...@FreeBSD.org
gn...@FreeBSD.org
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome
http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome

--=-hTZZlYlR23+XSEWaXjJV

--=-hTZZlYlR23+XSEWaXjJV--

Gary Kline

Feb 5, 2004, 8:17:54 AM2/5/04
On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 03:31:32AM -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 03:22, Julian Elischer wrote:
> > On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> >
> > > Sorry for the wide distribution, but it is critical that -CURRENT users
> > > hear this. Two _MAJOR_ changes just went in to the ports tree that are
> > > bound to cause some pain to -CURRENT users.
> > >

> > I'm glad to hear about this and I wouldn't mind hearing regularly about
> > major events over in the ports tree.
>
> I've started doing this. The full summary was sent to ports@ and
> ports-developers@, plus I added a copy to /usr/ports/CHANGES. This is
> now the second major ports update I've summarized. Once the archives
> get back up to speed, you should be able to see my previous summary.

A quick comment and question re the ports tree.
Since the ./distinfo file began listing the "SIZE="
line, my portupgrade scripts (and fetch) have broken
when I upgrade. I'm running 4.7PRE and 4.8PRE. (I'm
trying to floppy install 5.2-RELEASE, as well.)

Do I need to get a new version of fetch? Hand-deleting

the SIZE line in the ./distinfo file is a temp
workaround; is there a better way? ...I must have

missed *something*........

gary

--
Gary Kline kl...@thought.org www.thought.org Public service Unix

Gary Kline

Feb 5, 2004, 8:18:30 AM2/5/04
On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 02:34:55PM -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 14:24, Gary Kline wrote:
> > > >
> > Do I need to get a new version of fetch? Hand-deleting
> > the SIZE line in the ./distinfo file is a temp
> > workaround; is there a better way? ...I must have
> > missed *something*........
>
> The latest bsd.port.mk changes should have fixed this. The -S argument
> is only passed to fetch i OSVERSION >= 480000. If you're still running
> into problems, try adding DISABLE_SIZE=yes to /etc/make.conf.

Ah, thankee much. I just dropped in the line and now my
script works.

Kevin Oberman

Feb 5, 2004, 10:45:23 AM2/5/04
> From: Joe Marcus Clarke <mar...@FreeBSD.org>
> Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 18:03:15 -0500

> --=-hTZZlYlR23+XSEWaXjJV
>
> On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 18:00, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > > From: Joe Marcus Clarke <mar...@FreeBSD.org>
> > > Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 02:49:15 -0500
> > > Sender: owner-free...@freebsd.org
> > >
> > > Sorry for the wide distribution, but it is critical that -CURRENT users
> > > hear this. Two _MAJOR_ changes just went in to the ports tree that are
> > > bound to cause some pain to -CURRENT users.
> > >
> > > The first is the change in default threading libraries. The ports
> > > system now uses -lpthread when linking ports instead of -lc_r. Binaries

> > > that wind up with both libc_r and libpthread in them will cause
> > > problems. In that case, it is imperative that you report this to the
> > > port's maintainer ASAP. You can use pkg_info -W /path/to/binary to
> > > determine which port installed it.
> > >
> > > Second, Perl 5.8.2 is now the default version of Perl in -CURRENT since
> > > the 5.2 split. This replaces Perl 5.6.1 as the default. Note: Perl
> > > 5.00503 is still the default version of Perl in the 4.X base OS.
> > >
> > > If you experience problems with any of these changes (or with the other
> > > recent changes listed in /usr/ports/CHANGES), please report them on the
> > > ports@ list and to the appropriate maintainers as soon as possible.
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > OK. After last night's massive adjustment of PORTREVISION, I set u to
> > rebuild most everything in ports. I did the standard 'portupgrade -Ra'
> > and away it went. Soon enough of the low-level libs were re-built that
> > nothing much would run, but I figured that it would be better as soon as
> > everything finished building.
> >
> > Then, after installing the updated librep, ruby dumped core. Now I can't
> > run and of the portupgrade tools except portsdb. I have re-built ruby
> > and the things built on it for portupgrade, but I still fail with the
> > error:
> > ruby in malloc(): error: allocation failed
> > Abort (core dumped)
> >
> > Any idea what might be causing this and what I can do to fix it? Getting
> > everything re-built in the correct order without portupgrade will be very
> > unpleasant with over 180 ports left to re-build!
>
> Have you rebuild world and kernel today? Also, check the ruby binary
> with ldd to see if it's linked to both libc_r and libpthread. If it is,
> report that to knu.

ruby does not use threading at all, so that is not involved.

I found the problem was a corrupt pkgdb.db file. After rebuilding it,
everything started working again. I have saved the old file and I hope
to figure out what went wrong. In any case, it seem unrelated to the
threading issue.

Unfortunately, the reinstallation of threaded ports on both of my
current systems died in gtk with the same error:
/bin/sh ../../mkinstalldirs /usr/X11R6/etc/gtk-2.0
../../gtk/gtk-query-immodules-2.0 > /usr/X11R6/etc/gtk-2.0/gtkimmodules
Fatal error 'Spinlock called when not threaded.' at line 83 in file /usr/src/lib/libpthread/thread/thr_spinlock.c (errno = 0) Abort trap
(core dumped) *** Error code 134

I am rebuilding the system now. I'll see if that helps.

Thanks!

--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
E-mail: obe...@es.net Phone: +1 510 486-8634

Kirill Ponomarew

Feb 5, 2004, 10:47:05 AM2/5/04

--/WwmFnJnmDyWGHa4

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 07:44:13AM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
=20

> Unfortunately, the reinstallation of threaded ports on both of my

> current systems died in gtk with the same error:=20

> /bin/sh ../../mkinstalldirs /usr/X11R6/etc/gtk-2.0
> ../../gtk/gtk-query-immodules-2.0 > /usr/X11R6/etc/gtk-2.0/gtkimmodules

> Fatal error 'Spinlock called when not threaded.' at line 83 in file /usr/=
src/lib/libpthread/thread/thr_spinlock.c (errno =3D 0) Abort trap

> (core dumped) *** Error code 134

Did you use libmap.conf ?

-Kirill

--/WwmFnJnmDyWGHa4

--/WwmFnJnmDyWGHa4--

Jonathan Fosburgh

Feb 5, 2004, 11:09:39 AM2/5/04
On Thursday 05 February 2004 09:44, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> Unfortunately, the reinstallation of threaded ports on both of my
> current systems died in gtk with the same error:

> /bin/sh ../../mkinstalldirs /usr/X11R6/etc/gtk-2.0
> ../../gtk/gtk-query-immodules-2.0 > /usr/X11R6/etc/gtk-2.0/gtkimmodules
> Fatal error 'Spinlock called when not threaded.' at line 83 in file

> /usr/src/lib/libpthread/thread/thr_spinlock.c (errno =3D 0) Abort trap (c=
ore

> dumped) *** Error code 134

Sounds like something is linking against multiple thread libraries, probabl=
y=20
libc_r and lpthread. Set up libmap.conf to map libc_r to libpthread. Do t=
he=20
same if you have ever linked to libkse or libthr directly.
=2D-=20
Jonathan Fosburgh
AIX and Storage Administrator
UT MD Anderson Cancer Center
Houston, TX=20

Mark Huizer

Feb 6, 2004, 8:14:29 AM2/6/04
On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 02:49:15AM -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> Sorry for the wide distribution, but it is critical that -CURRENT users
> hear this. Two _MAJOR_ changes just went in to the ports tree that are
> bound to cause some pain to -CURRENT users.
>
> Second, Perl 5.8.2 is now the default version of Perl in -CURRENT since
> the 5.2 split. This replaces Perl 5.6.1 as the default. Note: Perl
> 5.00503 is still the default version of Perl in the 4.X base OS.

Did anyone ever create some kind of 'best practice' on how to upgrade
ports' perl on a system? I see quite a lof dependencies, and the issue
is/might be that files are installed in directories carrying the perl
version number.
What do people do to make this transition? upgrade perl and make a
symlink? Upgrade perl and reinstall all ports? deinstall everything and
reinstall?

Mark
--
Nice testing in little China...

Kris Kennaway

Feb 6, 2004, 8:34:28 AM2/6/04

--4Ckj6UjgE2iN1+kY

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 07:53:55PM +0100, Mark Huizer wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 02:49:15AM -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > Sorry for the wide distribution, but it is critical that -CURRENT users
> > hear this. Two _MAJOR_ changes just went in to the ports tree that are

> > bound to cause some pain to -CURRENT users. =20
> >=20

> > Second, Perl 5.8.2 is now the default version of Perl in -CURRENT since
> > the 5.2 split. This replaces Perl 5.6.1 as the default. Note: Perl
> > 5.00503 is still the default version of Perl in the 4.X base OS.

>=20

> Did anyone ever create some kind of 'best practice' on how to upgrade
> ports' perl on a system? I see quite a lof dependencies, and the issue
> is/might be that files are installed in directories carrying the perl
> version number.
> What do people do to make this transition? upgrade perl and make a
> symlink? Upgrade perl and reinstall all ports? deinstall everything and
> reinstall?

Add this to make.conf:

PERL_VER=3D5.8.2
PERL_VERSION=3D5.8.2
PERL_ARCH=3Dmach
NOPERL=3Dyo
NO_PERL=3Dyo
NO_PERL_WRAPPER=3Dyo

Remove old perl port, install perl 5.8, rebuild p5*, fix dependencies
with pkgdb -F.

Kris

--4Ckj6UjgE2iN1+kY

--4Ckj6UjgE2iN1+kY--

Dag-Erling Smørgrav

Feb 6, 2004, 11:42:32 AM2/6/04
Kris Kennaway <kr...@obsecurity.org> writes:
> Add this to make.conf:
>
> PERL_VER=3D5.8.2
> PERL_VERSION=3D5.8.2

this is the default on recent -CURRENT

> PERL_ARCH=3Dmach

this may be necessary but shouldn't (see ports/62441)

> NOPERL=3Dyo

this is only needed on 4.x

> NO_PERL=3Dyo
> NO_PERL_WRAPPER=3Dyo

this has absolutely no effect

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav - d...@des.no

Kris Kennaway

Feb 6, 2004, 5:27:25 PM2/6/04

--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 05:41:27PM +0100, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:
> Kris Kennaway <kr...@obsecurity.org> writes:
> > Add this to make.conf:
> >
> > PERL_VER=3D5.8.2
> > PERL_VERSION=3D5.8.2

>=20

> this is the default on recent -CURRENT

>=20
> > PERL_ARCH=3Dmach
>=20

> this may be necessary but shouldn't (see ports/62441)

>=20
> > NOPERL=3Dyo
>=20

> this is only needed on 4.x

>=20
> > NO_PERL=3Dyo
> > NO_PERL_WRAPPER=3Dyo
>=20

> this has absolutely no effect

FYI, those lines are what the (5.6.x, at least) perl port adds to
/etc/make.conf when you install it.

Kris

--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+

--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+--

Andre Guibert de Bruet

Feb 6, 2004, 11:43:08 PM2/6/04

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:

> Kris Kennaway <kr...@obsecurity.org> writes:
> > Add this to make.conf:
> >
> > PERL_VER=3D5.8.2
> > PERL_VERSION=3D5.8.2
>

> this is the default on recent -CURRENT
>

> > PERL_ARCH=3Dmach

> this may be necessary but shouldn't (see ports/62441)
>

> > NOPERL=3Dyo

> this is only needed on 4.x
>

> > NO_PERL=3Dyo
> > NO_PERL_WRAPPER=3Dyo

> this has absolutely no effect

Out of curiosity, why "yo" and not "yes"? :)

> Andre Guibert de Bruet | Enterprise Software Consultant >
> Silicon Landmark, LLC. | http://siliconlandmark.com/ >

Doug White

Feb 7, 2004, 1:48:48 AM2/7/04
On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Andre Guibert de Bruet wrote:

> Out of curiosity, why "yo" and not "yes"? :)

Because as with most make variables, it checks if the variable is defined,
not its value. So it can be set to anything, as long as its set.

--
Doug White | FreeBSD: The Power to Serve
dwh...@gumbysoft.com | www.FreeBSD.org

Dag-Erling Smørgrav

Feb 7, 2004, 6:01:53 AM2/7/04
Kris Kennaway <kr...@obsecurity.org> writes:

> On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 05:41:27PM +0100, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:
>> Kris Kennaway <kr...@obsecurity.org> writes:
>> > Add this to make.conf:
>> >
>> > PERL_VER=3D5.8.2
>> > PERL_VERSION=3D5.8.2
>>=20

>> this is the default on recent -CURRENT
>>=20
>> > PERL_ARCH=3Dmach
>>=20

>> this may be necessary but shouldn't (see ports/62441)
>>=20
>> > NOPERL=3Dyo
>>=20

>> this is only needed on 4.x
>>=20
>> > NO_PERL=3Dyo
>> > NO_PERL_WRAPPER=3Dyo
>>=20

>> this has absolutely no effect
>
> FYI, those lines are what the (5.6.x, at least) perl port adds to
> /etc/make.conf when you install it.

I know. They're still bogus.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav - d...@des.no

Dominic Mitchell

Feb 7, 2004, 6:42:33 AM2/7/04
On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 05:34:01AM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 07:53:55PM +0100, Mark Huizer wrote:
> > Did anyone ever create some kind of 'best practice' on how to upgrade
> > ports' perl on a system? I see quite a lof dependencies, and the issue
> > is/might be that files are installed in directories carrying the perl
> > version number.
> > What do people do to make this transition? upgrade perl and make a
> > symlink? Upgrade perl and reinstall all ports? deinstall everything and
> > reinstall?
>
> Add this to make.conf:
>
> PERL_VER=5.8.2
> PERL_VERSION=5.8.2
> PERL_ARCH=mach
> NOPERL=yo
> NO_PERL=yo
> NO_PERL_WRAPPER=yo

> Remove old perl port, install perl 5.8, rebuild p5*, fix dependencies
> with pkgdb -F.

There's a couple of other bits that need upgrading along with Perl. The
on that bit me last time was autoconf (or automake; can't remember).
Every port that used autoconf failed with "can't find file", even though
autoconf was present. A closer look showed that the hashbang line was
pointing at the old no-longer-present Perl.

-Dom

Lute Mullenix

Feb 7, 2004, 1:01:05 PM2/7/04
If I'm still using 5.1 will I need to do this?

--
Lute

************************
* Power Provided *
* by *
* FreeBSD 5.1 RELEASE *
************************

Vladimir Kushnir

Feb 7, 2004, 7:08:32 PM2/7/04
Sorry I know I should have written PR but I'm not sure about correct fix. So
here it goes.
After this changes lang/perl5.8 is still linked to libc_r when compiled with
WITH_THREADS=yes.
It's hardcoded in perl-5.8.2/hints/freebsd.sh
Easily fixed with this patch:
*** hints/freebsd.sh.orig Sun Feb 8 02:00:51 2004
--- hints/freebsd.sh Sun Feb 8 02:03:20 2004
***************
*** 186,192 ****
cat > UU/usethreads.cbu <<'EOCBU'
case "$usethreads" in
$define|true|[yY]*)
! lc_r=`/sbin/ldconfig -r|grep ':-lc_r'|awk '{print $NF}'|sed -n '$p'`
case "$osvers" in
0*|1*|2.0*|2.1*) cat <<EOM >&4
I did not know that FreeBSD $osvers supports POSIX threads.
--- 186,192 ----
cat > UU/usethreads.cbu <<'EOCBU'
case "$usethreads" in
$define|true|[yY]*)
! lc_r=`/sbin/ldconfig -r|grep ':-lpthread'|awk '{print $NF}'|sed -n
'$p'`
case "$osvers" in
0*|1*|2.0*|2.1*) cat <<EOM >&4
I did not know that FreeBSD $osvers supports POSIX threads.
***************
*** 244,250 ****

esac

! set `echo X "$libswanted "| sed -e 's/ c / c_r /'`
shift
libswanted="$*"
# Configure will probably pick the wrong libc to use for nm scan.
--- 244,250 ----

esac

! set `echo X "$libswanted "| sed -e 's/ c / pthread c /'`
shift
libswanted="$*"
# Configure will probably pick the wrong libc to use for nm scan.

But i) It requires post-changes FreeBSD; and ii) This way libperl.so and the
progs are linked with "-lpthread -lc" Is this correct?

On Wednesday 04 February 2004 09:49, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> Sorry for the wide distribution, but it is critical that -CURRENT users
> hear this. Two _MAJOR_ changes just went in to the ports tree that are
> bound to cause some pain to -CURRENT users.
>

> The first is the change in default threading libraries. The ports
> system now uses -lpthread when linking ports instead of -lc_r. Binaries
> that wind up with both libc_r and libpthread in them will cause
> problems. In that case, it is imperative that you report this to the
> port's maintainer ASAP. You can use pkg_info -W /path/to/binary to
> determine which port installed it.
>

> Second, Perl 5.8.2 is now the default version of Perl in -CURRENT since
> the 5.2 split. This replaces Perl 5.6.1 as the default. Note: Perl
> 5.00503 is still the default version of Perl in the 4.X base OS.
>

> If you experience problems with any of these changes (or with the other
> recent changes listed in /usr/ports/CHANGES), please report them on the
> ports@ list and to the appropriate maintainers as soon as possible.
> Thanks.
>

> Joe

Regards,
Vladimir

Dag-Erling Smørgrav

Feb 8, 2004, 7:28:18 AM2/8/04
d...@happygiraffe.net (Dominic Mitchell) writes:
> There's a couple of other bits that need upgrading along with Perl. The
> on that bit me last time was autoconf (or automake; can't remember).
> Every port that used autoconf failed with "can't find file", even though
> autoconf was present. A closer look showed that the hashbang line was
> pointing at the old no-longer-present Perl.

that's why autoconf and automake register themselves as requiring
perl, and pkg_delete won't allow you to deinstall perl without first
deinstalling autoconf and automake, unless you force it to.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav - d...@des.no

Sergey Matveychuk

Feb 8, 2004, 8:11:08 AM2/8/04
Andre Guibert de Bruet wrote:

>>>NO_PERL_WRAPPER=yo

>>this has absolutely no effect
>

> Out of curiosity, why "yo" and not "yes"? :)

Nobody knows, only tobez@.
But I'm not sure even about him. ;-)

--
Sem.