OAuth2 documentation is up, login() take down schedule

jesse p

Aug 11, 2011, 5:28:55 PM8/11/11
to MailChimp API Announce
OAuth2 Info
Two weeks ago I posted a (fairly wordy) blog post about our API's
growth. If you haven't read it, it may be worth it. If you did and
made it all the way through, you saw we had our OAuth2 implementation
ready to go and were in the final stages of testing and documenting
it:

http://blog.mailchimp.com/10m-api-calls-per-day-more/

The documentation is now available for all. There's not much more I
can add to what's in it, so I won't. Just go take a read through:

http://apidocs.mailchimp.com/oauth2/

then head over to the Discussion group with questions, gripes, typos,
etc.

login() shut down schedule
NOW - are you one of those people who figured out our has-been-
deprecated-and-removed-from-documentation-for-two-years login() method
or has simply been using it forever despite our pleas not to? If so,
get interested because this is going to affect you. Our current target
date for fully removing login() from ALL versions of the API is
2012-01-16. As in, API calls to it will simply start failing then. In
the meantime we are going to "incentivize" you to switch things up by
simply putting sleeps in to make it painful to use. Yeah, that's kind
of mean, but folks haven't abandoned it and it HAS to go away.

We WILL be emailing any account we see using it throughout, so you and
any account owner you know should be on the lookout. Here's the
tentative schedule for slowing down login() calls:

2011-08-22 : 1 second delay will be introduced
2011-09-05 : 2 second delay will be introduced
2011-10-03 : 4 second delay will be introduced
2011-10-31 : 6 second delay will be introduced
2011-11-21 : 10 second delay will be introduced
< we're not that mean, take your holidays >
2012-01-16 : bye, bye login() method

Note: if you're just not hard-coding an API Key like you should be,
that change is a piece of cake and you can ignore OAuth2 all together

jesse