The Incremental Mass Driver

aqua...@gmail.com

May 12, 2009, 12:08:15 AM5/12/09
to Magnetoverse
One of my early concepts for a mass driver was a modular.system that
could be run part time and constructed part time.

What I mean is, as soon as you added enough modules to launch high-G
hardened cargo, you could begin launching such payloads in between
adding more modules. As the mass driver grows longer, you can reduce
power levels and therefore G-forces during launch, yet achieve the
same end velocity. Additionally, you can keep the power levels and G-
forces high and launch higher-velocity G-hardened cargo to father
destinations or even out of the Earth-Moon system.

This kind of configuation allows the mass driver operator to begin
launching paying cargo sooner, helping the mass driver to partially
fund itself during construction.

I envision a system with three sets of train rails running side-by-
side. A large overhead crane would ride the two sets of outer rails.
Mass driver modules weould be on train wheel bogeys and ride the
center track. This allows the rails to double as power conductors for
operation of the mass driver, and also easy replacement of faulty
modules.

Further details later.

Dan