Cleaning rust with lasers

Brian Seo

Dec 14, 2016, 10:40:14 AM12/14/16
to maglab...@googlegroups.com
Just wanted to share this with you all:

You can clean rust with lasers.

Trenton Wilson

Dec 14, 2016, 4:30:01 PM12/14/16
to maglaboratory
Specifically lasers that either operate at a frequency that the rust will absorb the laser energy, or lasers that can be tuned to those frequencies.  These are very high powered, very expensive laser systems.

A.J. Franzman

Dec 22, 2016, 7:54:54 PM12/22/16
to MAG Lab
I just watched an Xploration Station show that I DVR'ed last weekend in which such high-powered lasers can also treat metal surfaces to become highly water-repellent. Unfortunately at this stage of development it's very slow and expensive, but watching water drops literally bounce off of a piece of metal was fascinating.