Madison McDonald's Protest (11/25/05)

madcit...@yahoo.com

Nov 10, 2005, 9:01:30 PM11/10/05
to madcityaction
The "golden arches" represent many things that are wrong with corporate
America. From the insidious advertising that preys on children to
sweatshop manufactured "happy meal" toys, from the connection to
deforestation to the maltreatment of millions of animals, from the
obesity epidemic (and related health care costs) to to cultural
homogenization -- Mcdonald's should be able to unite all forms of
activists in spirited protest. In fact many successful protests have
already taken place around the world -- now it's time for Madison
activists to step up and take care of their own backyard. The
McDonald's on Lake Street (near the end of State St.) is ripe for the
picking and ready to fall -- let's shut it down!

McDonalds Siege Protest: MODUS OPERANDI
The basic protest plan involves the daily presence of activists who
will distribute information (like the "What's wrong with McDonald's"
leaflet http://www.mcspotlight.org/campaigns/current/leaflets.html ) on
the sidewalk of University Ave. This nonviolent action will stay within
our rights to protest (rights which we are well versed in) and we will
have the means on hand to document any abuses of those rights. We will
use our freedom of speech but will only make that freedom a central
issue if Madison officials decide to violate our rights and side with
the McDonald's corporation. Taking our case to court would be an
unnecessary but appreciated boon to our cause.

It can be expected that the daily presence of informative activists
will reduce the amount of business at the University Ave. McDonald's --
particularly because of the lack of a drive-thru window.

In addition to the constant leafleting, activists will write letters to
newspapers, call in to radio shows, show anti-McDonalds documentaries,
and promote anti-McDonald's websites like mcspotlight.org -- we may,
occasionally, even have an impromptu mass rally.

WE CAN NOT LOSE!
If this particular McDonald's chooses to stay open, it is likely that
it's profits will sag as the wider chain suffers due to the
distribution of facts about this abominable corporation. If they decide
to make the more tactically prudent move and shut down this particular
restaurant (to avoid the press that comes with an extended protest), we
can then go elsewhere and use what we have learned to shut down
different corporate criminals on State Street.

GET INTO THE LOOP!
Put in your two cents! Spread the word! We will be using the public
McDonald's usenet groups (like
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.food.mcdonalds/ ) as a protest
message board until they shut the store down. So speak up now or
forever hold your peace as corporate culture destroys what remains of a
culture of life. Let's shut down these corporate criminals and take
back Madison's State Street!

http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=05/02/16/156254&mode=thread&tid=25
www.mcspotlight.org
http://politics.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,9115,1586959,00.html