moving a colony vs. bearding bees

Martin W.

Aug 12, 2017, 4:03:42 PM8/12/17
to madbees
I'm planning on moving a TBH of bees.  As I prepare, I've checked in on the colony several mornings before sunrise and never seen a time when there are no bees bearding.

My plan so far...I will move the colony to a larger hive body in the next few days, perhaps checker-boarding the brood nest and then hope for the best in the window for the move.

Any feedback from experienced beekeepers on managing the beard during a move?

Thanks.

Joseph Bessetti

Aug 12, 2017, 4:45:56 PM8/12/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
You can get them inside with some smoke.  I would not checkerboard frames.  How far are you moving them?  Newer combs are going to be delicate and break off during the move.

Joe

Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Smartphone

BETSY TRUE

Aug 12, 2017, 5:36:14 PM8/12/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I've found that spraying with water sends them inside. Like a rain.

Aug 13, 2017, 10:07:36 AM8/13/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.

Please excuse the brevity of this message. It was sent from my mobile phone.
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "madbees" group.

martin whitehead

Aug 13, 2017, 10:08:35 AM8/13/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for feedback. I'm moving the colony approx 2 miles.