Multiple/broken/repeated listings in Search results

TechWriterHeather

Jul 14, 2008, 3:31:54 PM7/14/08
Hi, I recently switched from RH 6 to RH 7 and when I generate a project, I'm
now getting multiple repeats in my search results. For example, if I did a
search on "Laboratory processes," it will appear three (or more) times in my
search list (though not all bunched together). One of those links will take me
to the right place. The others will have the "You've reached a broken link"
page. I've already gone through and fixed *all* broken links in the document.
RoboHelp even says there are no broken links. What could be causing this? I
already read the "Multiple search results" topic on here, and this is *not* my
issue. Any responses will be appreciated!
~ Heather in NC

lmarden

Jul 14, 2008, 3:34:58 PM7/14/08
Just for giggles, Heather (and I think it may very well solve the problem...),
make a backup of your project, then rename the CPD file and reenter your
project. I think the CPD data got scrambled in the upgrade, or was already
scrambled and didn't complain until the upgrade. I'll bet you a cookie this
fixes it.

Good luck!

TechWriterHeather

Jul 14, 2008, 3:39:04 PM7/14/08
Um, what's a CPD file? :-)

lmarden

Jul 14, 2008, 3:42:07 PM7/14/08
The CPD file is in your project directory. For example, if your project is
called Accounting, the file to look is Accounting.cpd. Make a complete project
backup, rename or delete the CPD file, and open the project again.

The CPD file is a database, sorta, that keeps track of where everything is in
your project. It's a little cranky, and every once in a while has to be
reindexed (renamed) to cure any one of a host of neuroses.

Captiv8r

Jul 14, 2008, 3:46:27 PM7/14/08
Hi all

Laurin, thanks for the chuckle. You are correct in that the CPD file is a
database. And that's precisely what it is! It's a Microsoft Access database.
These normally have a file extension of .MDB. RoboHelp HTML used to use these
with a custom extension of .MPJ. Then things changed and XML entered the
picture. Hence the change to .XPJ. But the .MPJ file is still around. He just
had his name changed. He is now known as the .CPD. I'm speculating a bit on
this, but I believe the .CPD means "Cache Project Database.

Cheers... Rick :smile;

lmarden

Jul 14, 2008, 3:57:31 PM7/14/08
<<I opened Exporer, right-clicked on the project folder, made a copy, pasted it
into the directory. >> Does this mean that you copied the project back into
itself? I hope not...

As for the rename - did you change the file name or the extension?
I should have been more clear.

First, make a complete copy of your project, and save it somewhere else. Far
away.

Then, rename <<project>>.cpd to <<project>>.bad. Or old. Or yuck. Whatever.
But rename the extension.

If you didn't do this, try again. I might just be misunderstanding your last
reply, so feel free to clarify.

TechWriterHeather

Jul 14, 2008, 3:49:23 PM7/14/08
Sadly, this didn't change anything. I opened Exporer, right-clicked on the
project folder, made a copy, pasted it into the directory. Then I opened the
"real" project folder, changed the CPD file name to "Test" (just to change it
to something), closed Explorer, and opened the project in RH. Ran the compiler
and... same deal.

Pete Lees

Jul 14, 2008, 4:01:16 PM7/14/08
Hi, Heather,

Here's another thread that discusses the same issue:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=65&catid=45
0&threadid=1362525

In that case ? and this is the usual reason why the results of a search
contain duplicated and broken entries ? the writer had inavertently created
some hyperlinks to topics that were above the root folder of the help project.

Pete

TechWriterHeather

Jul 14, 2008, 4:09:40 PM7/14/08
Hi, I had indeed changed the name of the file, not the extension. I tried that,
changing it to "BAD" and had no change. No worries- I did not save the folders
inside the folders. They are separate folders (though they're not far, far
away). We're working off the C: drive here, but everything has its own folder.

I don't undestand the whole root/upstream thing, or how I know if something's
out of the root. Or where I'd look to see where else it would be or how it
would have gotten there. Thanks for hanging in.

lmarden

Jul 14, 2008, 4:15:05 PM7/14/08
ok, let's back up a little. You say you came up from RH6 to RH7. Everything
worked well back in 6... did you make any other changes as you migrated up to
7? I didn't get a sense of that, which is why I didn't start with investigating
paths and such.

TechWriterHeather

Jul 14, 2008, 4:21:59 PM7/14/08
Nope, no other changes. And weirdly, out of 7 projects, this is the only one this is happening in. Albeit, it's the biggest one we have.

lmarden

Jul 14, 2008, 4:40:52 PM7/14/08
both these facts - there were no other changes (file/project name or location,
etc.) and that it only happens on one project still point me towards the CPD
file. But that's just me - maybe someone else has some ideas.

Question: The first time you tried the rename, we know now that you left the
cpd extension. So, on the second attempt, did you work with the same group of
project files, or revert back to your original project as saved in your backup?

If you worked with the same fileset, I would restore my backup, to be back at
the very beginning, and rename the cpd file extension (or really, you can just
delete it...) and try opening the project again, while waiting for some more
guidance.

lmarden

Jul 14, 2008, 6:00:19 PM7/14/08
lucky you! I'm still at work, with two chms to whip out before I leave.
Zzzzzzzz.....

TechWriterHeather

Jul 14, 2008, 5:57:07 PM7/14/08
Thanks. I'm home now with two strikes against me- dial-up AND no RoboHelp, so I'll try these things in the morning.

TechWriterHeather

Jul 15, 2008, 8:20:42 AM7/15/08
I deleted the CPD file as recommended. But everytime the file compiles, it generates a new one. And... same result. (Multiple/broken search entries.)

lmarden

Jul 15, 2008, 8:26:44 AM7/15/08
Yes, the CPD is supposed to rebuild - so that's a good thing. And now, we can rule that out as being the problem.

RoboWizard

Jul 15, 2008, 8:35:37 AM7/15/08
Heather, have you explored the option Pete popped in to suggest? If not, you really should investigate.

TechWriterHeather

Jul 15, 2008, 8:44:24 AM7/15/08
Thanks RoboWizard. As I posted after Pete's post, I don't understand how to
figure out if something is "above" or out of the root or any of that. I don't
SEE anything outside the folder, but I don't really know what to look for.

RoboWizard

Jul 15, 2008, 8:51:19 AM7/15/08
Hi again Heather

This could prove to be a bit on the tricksy side. Here's why. RoboHelp HTML
has traditionally presented dialogs we may see from time to time that advise us
when things like this are outside the project. The problem with this is that
the dialogs also offer a nifty little check box that says "Don't show this
again". And if you were to click and place a check mark inside the check box,
you quite literally will never see the dialog again. And there is no simple way
to get it back. You have to edit your Windows Registry.

The bottom line here is that you have some investigative work to do to
determine where these references are coming from. Perhaps try clicking Tools >
Reports > Missing Topic References as a start.

Cheers... Rick :smile;

TechWriterHeather

Jul 15, 2008, 8:55:26 AM7/15/08
That HAS happened! I DO remember that message, about things being outside the
project, esp having to do with some blue bullets I am using. There have been a
few other files that popped up with too. Oh man. I bet that is it. I hear
you're never to touch the Registry!

TechWriterHeather

Jul 15, 2008, 8:57:35 AM7/15/08
Oh darn, I don't have any missing topic references.

lmarden

Jul 15, 2008, 9:02:51 AM7/15/08
question - are you compiling a chm file, or are you generating and publishing a
web-based WebHelp system?

Cuz if you are publishing to the web, I wonder if you could go into Windows
Explorer, BACKUP the current folder set for the published Help, then delete it
entirely from its standard location - and publish again to put a fresh project
out there. Maybe there is some junk left over from older iterations?

Anyone see any problems with that?

RoboWizard

Jul 15, 2008, 9:07:26 AM7/15/08
Hi Heather

Do you have another author there? Any way to open this project on a different
PC? My thinking here is as follows.

If you are hesitant to edit the registry, this might show up on a different
PC.

If you want to try and edit the registry (it's not really that bad) take a
look at fellow Adobe Community Expert Peter Grainge's site at the link below
and explore Snippet 13.

http://www.grainge.org/pages/snippets/snippets.htm

What is this output type?

Cheers... Rick :smile;

TechWriterHeather

Jul 15, 2008, 9:07:09 AM7/15/08
It's both. We publish in both CHM and WebHelp. I do a batch generate usually,
but in this case, I've just been doing the CHM file and it's still having the
issues.

FYI- when you use terms like "backup the current folder"... I'm not sure many
people really get that. To me, it means "make a copy of it" and that's what I
do. So right now in my documents tree, I've got the regular folder and then the
"Copy of regular folder" etc. If you mean something different, please elaborate.

Thanks for continuing on the case.

TechWriterHeather

Jul 15, 2008, 9:09:01 AM7/15/08
No other authors, no other RH users. Just me. No way to open it on any other
computer. I am SURE this has SOMETHING to do with the move from RH 6 to RH 7,
even though it didn't affect the other files. I'm going to pass on anything to
do with the Registry.

Output type is CHM and WebHelp. The multiple search results occur in both
formats.

MergeThis

Jul 15, 2008, 1:11:09 PM7/15/08
Not only do .cpd files get munged (yes, that's the technical term), but so do
SSL (Single Source Layout) configurations. The RH help might not clearly state
it, but you can create multiple layouts for CHMs, WebHelp, Printed Doc, etc.,
as long as they have different names. So, give this a try. (You could try the
following in WebHelp instead, if you prefer.)

In Project Manager, right click [b]Single Source Layouts[/b] and select [b]New
Layout[/b]. In the New Layout dialog, type [i]Test CHM[/i] (or whatever) in the
[b]Layout Name[/b] box and select [i]Microsoft HTML Help[/i] in the [b]Output
Type[/b] pull-down. Then step through the HTML Help Options wizard (change the
path in the very first box on the first page). See what happens in that CHM
file.

Good luck,
Leon

TechWriterHeather

Jul 15, 2008, 1:22:04 PM7/15/08
THAT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow. It's always something. Now my last (??) question is, do I go in and
delete the RH-supplied Single Source Layouts (the ones that were problematic)
and leave mine? Can I then change their names back to what the RH ones were? (I
don't like seeing "TestWebHelp" and "TestCHM" in my list. I know, it's nutty,
but that's me. I want the regular names. Do I just delete the old/erroring ones
and replace them with my new ones?

THANKS!

MergeThis

Jul 15, 2008, 3:59:21 PM7/15/08