Flash 10 hangs Internet Explorer 7 on Vista?

Morac

Oct 27, 2008, 10:22:05 PM10/27/08
I installed Flash 10 on my dad's computer last Saturday. He emailed me today
to tell me that Internet Explorer 7 had been a few times over the past few days
which he things started around Tuesday. Since the only change to IE7 made
recently was upgrading from Flash 9 to Flash 10, Flash 10 is my suspect.

Is there any reports of Flash 10 causing IE7 to hang in Vista?

BWolfe [ADOBE]

Oct 28, 2008, 9:06:30 PM10/28/08
There have been a few reports, but nothing really substantiated in-house so far. Obviously rolling back to FP9 (google "archived flash players") would get him around this for the time being.

Gary Goldblum

Oct 28, 2008, 9:58:03 PM10/28/08
Hi BWolfe-
There must be something to this. My Toshiba (Vista) laptop's IE7 hangs up
occasionally after updating to FP10.
I also updated the family HP (Vista) desktop (AOL dial-up only) and will check
it out later.
I have seen this issue on other forums, but no cure other than to roll back,
as you suggested.

BWolfe [ADOBE]

Oct 28, 2008, 10:11:54 PM10/28/08
Gary, if you've got some decent reproducibility then we'd be interested in doing some testing on your machine. Definitely open a web case.. (and post back the number so I can get a senior agent on it)

Morac

Oct 29, 2008, 9:37:14 AM10/29/08
I won't be back to make changes to his system until the end of November so I
guess he'll have to live with it for now. He told me it's semi-periodic in
that some days it will hang and other days it won't. When it hangs, he just
ends the process in Task Manager, starts up IE7 again and it seems fine after
that. I'm trying to have him keep track of when it hangs, but since it happens
some days and not others it's difficult to keep track.

The fact that Microsoft released patches on both October 14th and October 23rd
adds another variable to the mix, though the 23rd one shouldn't affect IE7 I
would think.

His machine is a HP laptop running Vista SP1 if that helps.

mush25

Oct 29, 2008, 1:19:53 PM10/29/08
I have had the same problem since installing Flash Player 10 on a Fujitsu
Siemens Amilo Pi2515 running Vista SP1. Uninstalling it or disabling the
ActiveX cures the problem which seems to rule out the Microsoft updates
installed around the same time. I'm going to try disabling the other IE addons
I've got running to see if there is a conflict with one of those. I've got
Yahoo toolbar and AVG and I've just had a hang on this site after coming to it
from a Microsoft site; so perhaps I should have a look at Silverlight as well.

Morac

Oct 29, 2008, 1:25:54 PM10/29/08
Hmm, I would hope that Flash 10 isn't incompatible with other IE add-ons. I'm
not sure why the Silverlight add-on and Flash 10 would be even interacting.
I'm not sure he even has Silverlight installed since he never installs
anything, though I might have done that a while back.

In any case, when I get a chance I'll go and clean up any add-ons that came
pre-installed on his HP and see if that helps. If not, I'll revert him back to
flash 9.

Gary Goldblum

Oct 31, 2008, 2:58:41 AM10/31/08
Hi Folks- Sorry I couldn't get back here sooner. Now I can't get this thing to
fail! Makes troubleshooting a bit more difficult! BWolfe- did you sneak in and
fix this? (Harr-harr)
Mush25 has some good ideas. I added them to my few and spent some more time on
this, using multiple computers, allowing me to compare settings, etc.. All are
Vista Premium SP1 32 bit.
My Toshiba laptop- (has/had the hang issue) (call it T1) AVG8 Free,
Silverlight w/update, fairly fresh Adobe Reader 9, fresh Flash Player 10
(manually installed 10/20, reinstalled 10/24), Windows Defender ON.
HP (Compaq) desktop- Norton IS 2009, Silverlight w/update, Adobe Reader 8.12,
fresh FP10 (manually installed and reinstalled same as above), Windows Defender
OFF.
Toshiba laptop (call it T2)- Norton IS 2009, Silverlight w/update, AR 8.12,
fresh FP10 (Adobe-prompted upgrade from FP9), installed 10/20, reinstalled
10/24 (as part of troubleshooting).
I am unsure of the previous FP version, as it was only listed as "Adobe Flash
Player Activex".
How about yours? Adobe-prompted yes/no update? Windows Defender? Other
relevant stuff?
Too many words- continued on next reply

Gary Goldblum

Oct 31, 2008, 3:26:04 AM10/31/08
Hi again-
I ruled out the Silverlight update, as I had installed FP10 and had the hang
issue prior to that update (KB957938). Also, HP and T2 didn't have the problem.
AVG? Which version? I haven't seen anything on their forum, (other than the
usual AVGF8 probs...).I actually caused(?) it to have yet another "Invalid CTF
Control File" problem. (Grrrr)
Microsoft sites? Could be! I usually had the hang problem after logging off
Hotmail and waiting for the MSN page. To/from other MS sites was OK, including
a forum. ALL was OK on HP and T2. MS logoff site problem?
Windows Defender caused faulty download/install? I don't think so. No warnings
and FP10 worked OK.
HP and T2 worked OK, no IE7 hangs at all. T1 worked OK as well- good, but how?
Rechecked/compared FP10 permission settings (again) in System 32 folder. HP
and T2 have always been the same, but T1 had been different- no "Everyone" and
"Anonymous Logon". Yet this time, All 3 are the same! HOW?
Next-

Gary Goldblum

Oct 31, 2008, 3:50:27 AM10/31/08
Hi yet again- continued from above.
I had tried to download and use Windows One-care scanner (beta) free scan, as
instructed from MS Support website, and it failed installation twice (wasted
time!). So, I went ahead a did a full cleaning: disk cleanup, IE7 cache/history
cookies, etc. (no reset), Ccleaner, AVG scan, Full Windows Defender scan. (No
reg issues or problems shown).
So now IE7 and FP10 both work OK. It can't be this simple, can it??
To get to the Flash Security Permissions: Windows/System 32/Macromed/Flash/rt
click on either FlashUtil10a or Flash10.ocx/Properties/Security to look at your
permissions. You should have the usual 5 entries.
You can re-install from FlashUtil10a, see "Flash Player and Windows Vista Fix"
thread in this forum.
I'll post again if something happens......have fun!
:beer;

mush25

Oct 31, 2008, 1:18:55 PM10/31/08
I installed the player manually from the web site. Subsequently I've run the
uninstall tool, downloaded the player again and run FlashUtil10a as
Adminstrator.
I've got AVG8 Free as well. I wouldn't have thought the Safe Search addon
would be doing enough to cause this problem. However I have been running with
the Yahoo toolbar disabled for about 24 hours without any hangs.
This machine has hardly any non-Microsoft software installed, i.e AVG, Adobe
Reader 9, Java 6.10 and printer software.
I'll update if any further developments.

drgncollector11

Oct 31, 2008, 2:03:24 PM10/31/08
I had the same problem you were talking about. I got a message from my PC that
said that IE was being restarted because it was bogged down when I only had CNN
open was because of flashplayer and to uninstall flashplayer and reinstall it
and maybe it would solve the problem. My problem is that now when I try to
download flashplayer it says my platform is not supported. Does anyone have any
clues as to how to help me? Sorry, I didn't know who else to ask, and as this
was how my problem started I thought you guys might know. It's a brand new
laptop, so I don't know what the problwm is. Thanks for listening.

FlashFoxWolf

Oct 31, 2008, 3:44:01 PM10/31/08
audio interferance and video messes up 10 Sucks

not just a patch but 11 is needed and soon a smoothe program

why upgrade if its not as good

Gary Goldblum

Oct 31, 2008, 9:52:54 PM10/31/08
Hi Mush25-
I have Yahoo on the HP along with Google, and have the oe home page, and have
no issues. I read a thread in this forum from BWolfe regarding the Yahoo/FP10
issue, Yahoo is working on it and should have it fixed soon (unless that guy
was laid off (lol). As far as AVG, I uninstalled the Linkscanner because it was
just too annoying and further slowing down my exciting dial-up experience. Add
to that IE's "Phishing Filter" and AOL's spyware crap. Keep it if ya want. How
did ya get Java 6.10? I show v6.7 as the latest- Oh well.. Anyway, sounds like
your FP10 is working OK. Did ya clean up IE7 and check your System32 Folder
permissions?
Hopefully Morac is keeping up with us, he did start this thread after all.....

Gary Goldblum

Oct 31, 2008, 10:03:05 PM10/31/08
Hi Drgncollector11-
I will admit that I am just too stooopid to figure your issue out.
Since ya have a new computer, I will guess that your update/upgrade was via
Adobe prompt (yes/no panel) and that 9e was left, confusing your IE.
Check your Flash folder way down in the System32 folder to see if that's the
case. Try cleaning up your IE- cookies, history, add-ons, etc. (don't reset)
and see if that helps. A remnant of v9 may have remained as an Activex or
Add-on.
I suggest ya start a new thread as your issue will attract smart folks like
BWolfe (an Adobe Guy) to assist.
Good luck! :beer;

Gary Goldblum

Oct 31, 2008, 10:13:24 PM10/31/08
Hi FlashFoxWolf-
No offense, but you're not being very helpfull on this thread. I see from your
many other threads that you don't like v10, and that's OK, but no one is
forcing you to upgrade. Stay at v9 if ya want to!
We're trying to help out Morac, and ourselves in the process. :cool;

mush25

Nov 1, 2008, 1:28:27 PM11/1/08
Hi Gary
You can get Java 6.10 at www.java.com since last week. It seems a bit faster.
Apparently redesigned for better performance but no new features or security
updates.
I didn't clear out all my browsing history on the account where I disabled the
Yahoo toolbar since I didn't want to lose all my settings on various websites
but I have done on another account I don't use so much where I left the toolbar
on. No hangs for 2 days now.

mush25

Nov 1, 2008, 1:34:58 PM11/1/08
Drgncollector11
Have you tried using the uninstaller at www.adobe.com/go/tn_14157?
There are other suggestions at www.adobe.com/go/tn_19166.

Gary Goldblum

Nov 3, 2008, 4:18:17 AM11/3/08
Hi Mush25-
Thanks for the heads-up on the Java 6.10. I put it on HP and T1 today with no
problems.
I haven't read about any progress with the Yahoo issue.
Good ideas to drgncollector11. Hopefully it'll help him out.
I was just over at forums.techarena.in, more folks are reporting having
trouble with the FP10 upgrade.

Gary Goldblum

Nov 3, 2008, 4:33:04 AM11/3/08
Hi Drgncollector11-
I read a thread from last year (updated by a recent reply) on another forum
that you had to have Java installed to download and install Adobe Flash Player.
I haven't heard that before, but most newer computers do come with Java these
days. Just an idea.... anyway, if ya don't have it, it's free. They also have a
detection tool. www.java.com
Perhaps your Java got corrupted? :confused;

Gary Goldblum

Nov 3, 2008, 4:39:01 AM11/3/08
Hi Morac-
Did we lose ya? Didn't mean to take over your thread.
Hopefully some of the ideas we're throwing around will actually help you. :grin;

mush25

Nov 3, 2008, 6:44:03 AM11/3/08
Hi Gary
I thought I'd got this tied down to the Yahoo toolbar but, after 3 days
without it, I had another hang. So all I've got is:
1. Problem started after installing FP10
2. Only happens when loading pages with Flash content
3. Not reproducible. Pages load fine after restarting IE
4. Happens so infrequently it can't be something obvious that can be fixed by
an end user

I had a quick look at the IE threads and call stacks with WinDbg but nothing
stood out as an error. Although I don't know enough about IE to tell if there
was anything unusal and it was 11.30pm. I'll try to collect some evidence to
forward to Adobe. Microsoft should be getting lots of error reports!
I'm beginning to wonder about graphics drivers. This box has Intel 965GM
integrated graphics.

Morac

Nov 3, 2008, 9:22:39 AM11/3/08
I've been trying to filter through the noise, but unfortunately I don't have
access to the machine that was hanging so I can't do any diagnoses on it until
probably around Thanksgiving. My dad hasn't mentioned anything more about
hanging, but that doesn't necessarily mean they've stopped.

Morac

Nov 3, 2008, 9:26:11 AM11/3/08
[q][i]Originally posted by: [b][b]mush25[/b][/b][/i]

1. Problem started after installing FP10
2. Only happens when loading pages with Flash content
3. Not reproducible. Pages load fine after restarting IE
4. Happens so infrequently it can't be something obvious that can be fixed by
an end user

I had a quick look at the IE threads and call stacks with WinDbg but nothing
stood out as an error. Although I don't know enough about IE to tell if there
was anything unusal and it was 11.30pm. I'll try to collect some evidence to
forward to Adobe. Microsoft should be getting lots of error reports!
I'm beginning to wonder about graphics drivers. This box has Intel 965GM
integrated graphics.

[/q]

That sounds exactly like what my dad is reporting. Is this under Vista or XP?
For Flash, graphics drivers are always suspect. I wonder if disabling
hardware acceleration in the Flash options would help.

mush25

Nov 4, 2008, 4:58:56 AM11/4/08
It's Vista SP1. See my earlier posts for more information.
I'm running with Flash disabled except when I really want to watch a video. It
cuts down on the annoying moving ads and reduces my broadband usage. I'll try
turning off the hardware acceleration at some point. The Intel website has
updated drivers but they haven't made it through to Windows Update yet.

psyflamejockey

Nov 4, 2008, 10:28:48 AM11/4/08
i have the exact same problem, with my acer aspire 5920g laptop, using vista
hp, and the exlplorer get hung too often, bacause of the adobe flash player
v10, its automatically resuming again, but the hungs r really bothering.
i've tried all the mentioed above, clearing my cash, cookies stc. uninstalling
and re-installing, nothing seems to work ...
is there any adobe agent that monitors the forums can help me, and other like
me, define the exact problem and fix it? or myb its an adobe fault, and they
should release a new version clean of faults ...

peace and love
ohad

jack_stack

Nov 4, 2008, 3:45:02 PM11/4/08
IE 7, Vista SP1, Run regcure frequently.
Uninstall with dl'd program,
rebooted and install works when ran as administrator.
Did not work at first and had to reset IE under Advanced Options - of course,
this kills lots of stuff - but not bookmarks. Ok, this then allows Flash to
work - a few times as long as you don't boot. I booted - whoops.
I then did the same, running SubinACL as Admin (the only way) after
deinstalling and reset IE, then reinstalled from site.
This worked. For about 2 hours. I rebooted and then nope, dead again.
I've done everything - several times. Tired of this problem. I have
silverlight and Expression Design installed. Does this matter? I hope not.
Adobe folks, its time to talk to Microsoft - please.

Like2Flash

Nov 4, 2008, 9:09:48 PM11/4/08
I fixed my problem on my dual core 2 duo system running service pack 1. i think
the problem i had was because i had kaspersky set to guard the registry. it
asks for pernission to install everything. anyways what i did was turn that
option off in kaspersky and used the adobe support(bottom of this page), looked
for suport on flash player, Troubleshoot Adobe Flash Player installation for
Windows, looked at Windows Vista installation failure and finally ran 1st the
file for flash10. it updated it self just fine. and works like a charm. I think
that vista and registry guard software don??t mix too well.

Gary Goldblum

Nov 4, 2008, 10:18:22 PM11/4/08
Hi Mush25-
Holy Crap! I thought we just about had ya fixed! Grrrrr.
We're all ATI/AMD here. I'll have to ask around and try to borrow a non-ATI
PC. I finally got a web page hang, but not an IE7 hang. The web page was one of
these political things, lots of auto-running video, audio, bells and whistles
stuff (big $$). I dropped back to my oe homepage and then back to the same
site, and all was OK.
You had to Task Manager/shut down/restart IE7 again? Hmmm. I don't know why
your Graphics driver would be the problem as it worked fine with FP9. Could
this FP10 bug be that specific? But...odd things have happened before, such as
the HP patch for the AMD processors/XPSP3 update issue. I'll check around
s'more. :confused;

psyflamejockey

Nov 5, 2008, 6:18:07 AM11/5/08
hey like2flash, well among other things i've tried, i did exactly the same as u
did, looked in the adobe pages for help, and thus unistalled and re-installed
the flash v10, well to it didnt help so much ... about that asking b4 any
installations, i thing my windows defender is asking me the same thing b4
installing anything, but i dont think that's the problem ...

peace and love
ohad

campingmoon

Nov 6, 2008, 7:38:33 AM11/6/08
Hello All,
I have an HP Pavilion dv2910us laptop PC, It has Windows Vista SP1 preloaded,
everything works great! Now just because the adobe popup that wanted me to to
update I deceided to let it update. Bad mistake the version was Adobe 9 and
now its Adobe Flash Player version 10.0.12.36, Running Internet Explorer 7.
After the update at random times of loading pages, Internet explorer just Hangs
and I have to end task and then I can visit the website I need to. Adobe please
address this issue, I have used the the utility from your website to uninstall
adobe flash player, right now I have uninstalled and installed the old version
using the cd that came with my computer, and things are back to normal for the
moment except it wants to update adobe again.

Backup Expert

Nov 6, 2008, 8:41:48 AM11/6/08
i had the same problem as Like2Flash.. its fixed now.

Kind Regards,
Erdal
www.backupexpert.be

Online Backup | Automated Remote Backup | Backup Online |
Restore Online Data | Data Herstel | Automatische Backup | Online Data Storage

Davey84

Nov 7, 2008, 7:37:26 AM11/7/08
Oh good im not the only one!
I installed flash player 10 on my Vista64 PC and IE7 just started randomly
hanging sometimes loading webpages with flash content. I removed it and went
back to 9 and its working fine again. I decided to try it this morning on my
XP SP3 Work machine too and it has hung twice loading pages already.

psyflamejockey

Nov 7, 2008, 6:17:26 PM11/7/08
o.k so we can all go back to the previous version of the flash player, but then
what reason have the adobe team has to release a faulted new version and force
us to go back to the old one, when the task in hand is to repair the new one!
or either release a newer version that wont hang up now and then ...

i hope the adobe team is monitoring this forum, it will b nice to hear what
they have to say to all of us who have the same problem ... its not a problem
of a certain type of computer, but rather all of us having the same problem ...

if anybody from adobe is reading this, i would gladly like to receive a reply
from u ...

peace and love
ohad

p.s
that also goes to the adobe team, i've just downloaded a new version of the
adobe reader along with the new feature the adobe online editor ... that was
really nice feaure, but doesnt solve the current problem.

Gary Goldblum

Nov 8, 2008, 2:37:08 AM11/8/08
Hi Davey84-
Yep, there are problems with FP10 and Vista 64 bit. Stay at version 9. Adobe
is working on it. See: "32 bit browser on 64 bit Windows 2008 server" in this
forum. It also applies to Vista 64 bit, I have also read this in other forums.

Gary Goldblum

Nov 8, 2008, 3:12:32 AM11/8/08
Hi Mush25-
I had to step back from this and take a different approach. While tossin' down
some aspirins, I worked on my other niece's laptop to upgrade to FP10 and
troubleshoot. Identical to T2, but with more Yahoo stuff: homepage, toolbar,
chat, etc.. Turns out she had already done it via Adobe yes/no prompt. No
issues, everything works OK. She said it only took a few minutes. I checked it
out and checked the settings, it's OK. Go figure.....
So, I will approach this as a problem with Manual Downloading, which you and I
did (not sure about Morac).
The HP desktop? We don't normally use IE7 on it, as it is AOL Dial-up only, so
few/no cookie issues on IE7. I kicked in IE7 and FP10 worked OK. Well, as OK as
dial-up video can be....

OK- a question for ya, this will tell me if I'm on the right track: On your
first FP10 upgrade, did you FIRST uninstall FP9, or download/install OVER FP9?
Please answer honestly....no judgements here...
I didn't uninstall first- I admit it! I never do for Adobe and Java, as I want
to make sure the new version/upgrade works OK before losing the old. I was on
the old dial-up for too long, I guess. There are exceptions, of course, like
AVG.
Let me know.
:grin;

Gary Goldblum

Nov 8, 2008, 3:22:07 AM11/8/08
Hi Morac-
A coupla questions for ya:
Was your (Dad's) FP10 upgrade via Adobe prompt yes/no window, or a Manual
download?
Did you FIRST uninstall FP9 or dl/install FP10 OVER FP9?
Be honest...no judgements here....
See post to Mush25 for details.
Thanks. :grin;

psyflamejockey

Nov 8, 2008, 11:17:18 AM11/8/08
hey garry,

u seen to know alot of our mutual problem.
how can i know if my vista is 32bit or 64bit? its vista home premium, sp1
installed.

i tried both ways, installing fp10, without uninstalling fs9, and also
unistalling fp9 and installing fp10. both doesnt solve it. i tried cleaning the
registry (cookies etc.), it doesnt seem to work.
i dont want to go back to fp9, as i c it, we should advance to better vesions
rather than downgrade.
anyway i'm still waiting for a moderator or another adobe team member, to
suplly better solution for our problem.

peace and love
ohad

Morac

Nov 8, 2008, 12:21:45 PM11/8/08
[q][i]Originally posted by: [b][b]Gary Goldblum[/b][/b][/i]
Antivirus or Internet Security suite? Brand?
Thanks. :grin;[/q]

I upgraded his machine manually by going to the Adobe Flash Player download
site. I did not uninstall Flash 9 first. He has Norton Internet Security 2009
on his machine and the Windows Defender that comes with Vista.

I spoke to him and he says that he hasn't been seeing it hang all that often.
It does it every now and then, but not daily like he was getting. I don't know
if that means he isn't going to sites with a lot of Flash content or there was
just a certain site he was going to that was causing problems.

mush25

Nov 8, 2008, 4:15:49 PM11/8/08
Hi Gary
I installed FP10 over FP9. As far as I can remember the installer deleted FP9.
The log file in the Macromedia folder has entries showing earlier version being
deleted.
I was surprised earlier today when I ran the Secunia PSI scanner. It reported
FP9 still installed but it turned out to be something it had picked up in Adobe
Air. So it could just be a false positive.
Still happily running without flash most of the time. Guess I'll stay like
this until someone has an idea about what might be happenning.

Gary Goldblum

Nov 9, 2008, 1:53:40 AM11/9/08
Hi psyflamejockey-
Start button, right click on Computer, Properties will bring up your computer
info. You'll see it there.
Nah- I don't know much. I just wish I knew less about our mutual problems and
MORE about a solution! :wink;

Gary Goldblum

Nov 9, 2008, 2:07:44 AM11/9/08
Hi mush25-
So you have AR9? That's good, I do too, and my FP10 works. So we can rule that
out. I was about to revert to AR8xx to run an experiment. I'm glad I read your
reply first. I'm not quite sure what AIR does, but I read in the Adobe page
that is does work in conjunction with FP for some functions. I did get a
Windows compatibility warning on the AIR installer, but it worked out.
Thanks for replying about your FP installation method. My thoughts were that
perhaps FP10 had a missing/corrupted file that FP9 could provide (if you
installed FP10 over it) or that FP10 had to build on FP9 (an update). That
would explain why the Adobe-prompted upgrades seem to be successfull and the
rest of us labor on.
But, a big thumbs-down on that one.... :brokenheart;

Gary Goldblum

Nov 9, 2008, 2:31:07 AM11/9/08
Hi Morac-
I can't believe we're on page 3 of this gig and haven't figured it out yet.
Thanks for your reply and info. I don't think Norton IS is an issue, as HP, T2
and T3 all have it and have no problems (I left the oe settings + MS document
scanning). WinDef is OFF on those 3. I have WD ON and my FP10 works OK-so rule
it out. Do you have AR9?
A big thumbs-down on my last idea/thought. See mush25 post for details.
This fix is gonna turn out to be something simple and I'm gonna feel
stoooopid! Hope it happens soon. :grin;

psyflamejockey

Nov 9, 2008, 7:12:24 PM11/9/08
hey garry, tnx for the info ... i was just looking at the exact page b4 i guess
i've just missed it ...
anyway my vista is 32bit so i ruled that incompabilty out.
whats that u said about a vesion tester? does it only tells u which version u
have installed, or does it recognizes problems as well?

by the way, do u know if the adobe team is really moderating these threads
here? i mean since the last answer that wasnt quite an answer at the beginning
of this thread from an adobe team member, no one else from that team has given
any answers ...

peace and love
ohad

Gary Goldblum

Nov 10, 2008, 1:46:18 AM11/10/08
Hi psyflamejockey-
It is called a "Version Tester", but it's actually a "version checker". Sorta
like Java's "Got Java?" tool. I mentioned it to mush25 so he could confirm that
his installed version is indeed 10. I haven't found a "Flash Player 10 Repair
Tool" like is available for Reader. That'd be handy.
I don't know if the Adobe Guys have the time to monitor all these threads- I
hope they're busy coming up with a solution! (Soon I hope- I'm about out of
ideas!) :wink;

Gary Goldblum

Nov 10, 2008, 2:17:13 AM11/10/08
Hi Like2flash-
I re-reread your reply. The Kapersky issue was interesting, first time I've
heard of Kapersky conflicting with Adobe, but I don't know much about their IS
product. I've written that one down for future use! The Vista Installation
Failure we've tried, but it was via "thetechangel.com" thread- I thought he had
come up with that one on his own! Still, he does have that cool dog
skateboarding video for the FP test....:wink;

Gary Goldblum

Nov 10, 2008, 3:04:17 PM11/10/08
Hi Campingmoon-
So ya updated via Adobe prompt (yes/no page) and FP10 didn't work? Did you try
any troubleshooting or fixes?
Did you manually uninstall v9 at any time (before or after FP10 update)? There
are some listed in this forum (thetechangel.com has a thread), and also the
Adobe Support link at the bottom of the page: then "download help", "Adobe
Flash Player Support". This will take you to a listing, there's a line about
Windows Vista, and the method to update via the FlashUtil10a. These work for
some, but not all (read some posts in this thread). You're the first
"auto-update" I've read with this failure, although folks don't seem to mention
their method in their initial posts. I've done 4 computers, with 2 each way.
All work OK, although mine (manual update) has started the occasional Hang
thing again, mostly on CNN (they download all videos at once) and the Adobe
site (probably 'cause they're so busy!). Some of us are flailing about trying
to troubleshoot this thing, but you're probably smarter than I for dropping
back to v9 and waiting it out! :wink;

drzeller

Nov 10, 2008, 7:59:12 PM11/10/08
Just adding my vote, so to speak: I am having the same frequent freezes in IE7
on a Toshiba Tablet with Vista and SP1. It happens about every fifth new
page/site I open. As with others, it started for me right after Flash was
updated.

D.

Gary Goldblum

Nov 10, 2008, 10:26:51 PM11/10/08
Hi drzeller-
Your fix is easy! Just only open 4 pages! (Harr-Harr!)
A few of us are working on this, or stalling until Adobe comes up with a fix,
I'm not sure anymore...
Feel free to bring in some ideas! I'm about out of ideas on this thing, so
some new angle would be appreciated.
:grin;

Gary Goldblum

Nov 11, 2008, 1:13:24 AM11/11/08
Hi Mush25-
Off-topic, non-FP.
Did you read about an AVG update causing the scanner to pick up the User32.dll
file and DELETE it on many XP computers? Holy Crap! I checked my virus vault
settings right then to ensure that I didn't have it set for "autodelete" even
though we have Vista. I better check my nephew's XP laptop!
When you upped to AR9 (or a coupla days after) did your AVG pick up a Trojan
Horse Generic11.BEOG virus in the AR Installer file? If so, do you know if it
was a False Positive? I just noticed it today and sent it off to AVG, but did
not delete it.
Thanks.

mush25

Nov 13, 2008, 5:01:17 AM11/13/08
Hi Gary,
Didn't have any problems with the Adobe Reader and AIR but I think I read
about false positives with AVG. Can't remember where.
The latest AVG problem's a good one. ' Get yourself another PC to download our
rescue disk and you might be able to get your PC running again'

psyflamejockey

Nov 14, 2008, 6:32:03 AM11/14/08
hey garry i was beginning to despair as the hangs r just too often for me (and
i still dont wanna go back a ver), i've contated the adobe support team
directly, the didnt supply an answer yet, but i'm sure some kinda answer will b
available soon (at least i hope so!)...

peace and love
ohad

Gary Goldblum

Nov 14, 2008, 1:00:42 PM11/14/08
Hi Mush25-
Yep, sometimes "free" costs too much!
Read an interesting thread at the AVGF forum: freeforum.avg.com in the
Linkscanner sub-forum. Check out "I think I found a solution to the Linkscanner
problems...." by "Kissbaby" dated 10/19/08. Yahoo page problems caused by the
"Safesearch" function.
I'm trying to borrow T3 laptop again to check out a coupla Yahoo Chat/FP10
things.
BTW, Congrats! Your's is the 50th post to this thread! Sorry, no prize or
solution (yet). :beer;

Gary Goldblum

Nov 14, 2008, 1:11:39 PM11/14/08
Hi Morac-
I am tshooting a NIS2009 issue (started after a NIS update) on T2 laptop and
came across an article in their Tech Support self-help about Phishing Filter
settings causing probs with some webpages, incl Yahoo. I left the oe settings
when I did the 3 NIS installations, as IE7 has its own filter. Might be worth
checking out?
No solutions so far. Will try to borrow T3 laptop to try some things.
:confused;

Ramoas

Nov 17, 2008, 5:02:53 PM11/17/08
Hi Bentley,

I opened a web case: 0180547678. I also captured some process hang dumps of
IE, and there looks to be some pretty damning evidence that Flash10.ocx is
waiting infinitely for some reason.

All the dumps have been uploaded to the FTP site already.

I opened the case this past Friday, and I'm still waiting for Adobe to respond.

The hang occurs on at least a daily basis, depending how much time I spend
browsing Yahoo, for example.

If I disable the Flash Add-In, I stop getting the hangs.

As you offered to Gary earlier, please get a senior agent on this case.

Regards.

tjdavid81561

Nov 18, 2008, 9:33:34 PM11/18/08
Sorry to join the fray so late, but I too am experiencing the IE 7 lockup since
upgrading to Flash 10. It is repeatable, and demonstrably caused by enabling
Flash 10. Disabling it fixes the problem. Unfortunately, rolling back to
version 9 isn't really an option, as many sites are already exclusively
requiring version 10 in order to view videos on their page. I tried rolling
back to 9, which definitely fixed the freeze up problem, but when I went to
YouTube it told me that I was running an older version of Flash and I needed a
newer version to view the videos.

Any luck with the cause of this one? Thanks for your help in advance.

Tim

tjdavid81561

Nov 18, 2008, 9:37:33 PM11/18/08
Sorry, left out some details - Windows Vista Ultimate, SP1 on the OS, IE 7 on the browser. Updated Java which appears to be fine. I can definitely reproduce the problem fairly reliably.

loganthekool

Nov 18, 2008, 11:05:10 PM11/18/08
ok soooo......i tried downloading adobe flash 10 onto my computer but nothing
happened/ popped-up or anything.
no little yellow bar at the top of my browser window or anything...what is
wrong?....anybody can answer...please!

Gary Goldblum

Nov 19, 2008, 3:59:57 AM11/19/08
Hi Morac-
I borrowed laptop T3 (Adobe-prompted download) and checked on the Norton
IS2009 settings. This one has Yahoo stuff and lots more junk on it with no
FP10/IE7 issues. Turns out, the Antispam setting was ON (default is OFF) during
the FP10 upgrade. Antiphishing was ON (default is ON). I played around with the
settings for both, increased/decreased, and noticed no difference in IE7. Note:
IE7's Phishing filter is OFF on the 3 (HP,T2,T3) installed with NIS2009, I
believe NIS turns it off. I turned it ON and noticed no difference.
I have noticed two things with FP10: 1) On some sites if you play a video, you
need to stop/pause prior to exiting the site or you'll get a page and/or IE7
hang. 2) The faster the connection speed, the better- I took my laptop (T1)
down to a friend's shop and mooched off his super-high speed (business version)
wireless. Item 1 was no longer an issue. No Hangs, stalls, or any other issues.
I guess we're just not fast enough for FP10. Oh well.
I hope some of the previous ideas will help you, or that Adobe figures it out
soon!

Gary Goldblum

Nov 19, 2008, 4:25:28 AM11/19/08
Hi Mush25-
I borrowed laptop T3 (with the Yahoo stuff and lots more junk now). Disabled
almost all non-browser stuff (Yahoo chat, AIM, Limewire, etc.) and disabled
Yahoo and almost all other IE7 Add-ons. IE7 was a little bit faster. Started
re-enabling add-ons, no change. Started re-enabling non-browser stuff, Yahoo
Chat and AIM slowed IE7 down a little, as expected (it does use some
bandwidth). Yahoo Toolbar was not an issue, Norton IS2009 wasn't either.
No solution found here. (insert curse words).
I have found 2 things with FP10: 1) On some sites, after playing a video (or
part of) you must stop/pause video prior to exiting the site or a page/IE7 Hang
will result; 2) The faster connection speed, the better for FP10- I took T1
down to a friend's shop and mooched off his super highspeed (Business version)
wireless. Item #1 went away. No Hangs, stalls, or any other issues. I guess we
just can't get fast enough for FP10?
I had 2 IE7 Hangs today on Hotmail, but the site is currently being upgraded
to some overly fancy thing, so I can't blame FP10 for those. Well, I'm out of
ideas- hopefully Adobe will fix it soon.

lovemy4goldens

Nov 19, 2008, 5:01:04 AM11/19/08
I am so sick of trying to get this flashplayer downloaded right on my computer,
I could scream. I have read the replys to the flashplayer problem and quite
honestly, I haven't a clue what you all are talking about. I have a gateway pc
GT52426E with home version of vista. Everything was just peachy until around
the 6th when all of a sudden I was getting messages when going on a site to
download flashplayer 9.
I go to my control panel and it has FP10 there. I go to adobe site and get
their uninstall tool and unistall 10 and reinstall it. Doesn't work. I have
been on the phone with Adobe and nothing yet and called Gateway and have
restored my computer back so many times recently that I just don't know what to
do.
Can anyone tell me in plain and simple language how to get my flashplayer
running please? And if you could step by step please?? I have about had it
Thank you
Lanie

tjdavid81561

Nov 19, 2008, 5:29:16 AM11/19/08
Okay, for what it's worth, I have determined that, at least in my case, the
problem is something between Flash Player 10 and Vista. As I have stated
previously, I am running Vista Ultimate (32 bit) and just upgraded to Flash
Player 10 (active x, plugin). There's no maybe here, when the Flash Player
active x plugin is Enabled, via Manage Add-ons, IE 7 will not go from my home
page (MSN) to any other link. The browser freezes. With the plugin disabled,
the problem goes away.

A question here. Is Adobe even paying attention to this thread, or are we all
just sitting here talking to each other? I haven't seen a useful suggestion
from them in a long time.

Tim

Gary Goldblum

Nov 19, 2008, 5:27:30 AM11/19/08
Hi Lovemy4goldens-
Right now FP10 is a mutt in the kennels (harr-harr). It's new enough that some
websites haven't upgraded to recognize FP10 and will tell you that you need to
install Flashplayer. Some folks are having problems with either the
installation or operation (Internet Explorer 7 Hang) of FP10. Adobe knows of
this and hopefully will have a solution soon. You could go back to FP9 as some
others have. :wink;

psyflamejockey

Nov 19, 2008, 5:52:31 AM11/19/08
hi everyone, me and as i heard also ramoas, have contacted the adobe support
team. although they say in their site that answer will b emailed after 48 hr
tops, its been a weerk now and no answer yet! i hope those adobe folks r really
trying to solve the prob that we all have.

hey ramoas, did u get any kinda answer? anyone else did? i mean something from
the adobe team ...
i've heard here that they r trying to solve the prob, but nothing offcialy
from adobe, only from peeps having probs.

hope to a quick solution

peace and love
ohad

Gary Goldblum

Nov 19, 2008, 5:54:35 AM11/19/08
Hi Tjdavid81561-
XP users are having Hang issues as well. We're Vista on this thread. MS sites?
Read Mush25 on page 1 of this thread. There is/was a FP10/Yahoo problem, Yahoo
is/was working on it. Adobe is working on the Hang issue.
A few of us are trying to figure this out, or stall until Adobe fixes it
(don't remember which- harr-harr).
Join the fray! :grin;

lovemy4goldens

Nov 19, 2008, 2:50:29 PM11/19/08
Hi Gary and thanks for the info. I have restored my computer once again and
this time it was successful and now my Adobe is working again. Go figure!!!! I
am just tickled pink about it because I didn't have to call Adobe and sit on
the phone with a rep who didn't know what they were doing. I mean I should talk
but at least I got it going again and not Adobe, and I've been on the phone
with them for the last 3 days.
Thank you for replying and have a great day
Lanie
http://theblackmonfamily.sylera.com

creeker52

Nov 19, 2008, 9:46:22 PM11/19/08
I am new to this -so have patience with me please. I just bought a new Dell
Inspiron 530 64 bit browser, and am connected to Comcast high speed. I can
not view any videos due to the 32 bit problem...any ideas how I can get my
videos to work???

Gary Goldblum

Nov 21, 2008, 3:35:43 AM11/21/08
Hi Creeker52-
Adobe Flash Player doesn't support 64 bit, so ya have to run IE as 32 bit. I
don't know the details. Hopefully your new 'puter came with FP9. Don't upgrade
to FP10 yet due to IE7 Hang problems. See in this forum: "[Adobe FYI] Getting
Support for Flash Player 10 and Issue Tracking Post" by BWolfe (an Adobe guy)
dated 10/22/08. Scroll down to the section on 64 bit. Other than that, I don't
have an answer for ya. You have an ideal question for a new thread. :grin;

Gary Goldblum

Nov 21, 2008, 3:49:59 AM11/21/08
Hi Tjdavid81561-
Now MY Hotmail/MSN sites are causing IE7 Hangs!! What did you do to my
computer?! (Harr-harr). Windows Live is undergoing some fancification so maybe
that's the prob. Anyway, have check out the thread in this forum:
"Adobe Flash Player 10 Fix for Vista and XP" by thetechangel.com, it's
currently on page 1. There's also an earlier version way back down in the forum
which is closer to Adobe's Support version. Also, remnants of FP9 may have
remained in your IE7 cache, confusing IE7. We're mostly concerned with clearing
add-ons, so check/tick that box. I do all this + Ccleaner once a month or so,
and got my FP10 working OK (until now-Grrr). :grin;

Gary Goldblum

Nov 21, 2008, 3:58:59 AM11/21/08
Hi Folks-
I'm glad you guys opened IRs and sent info to Adobe. By the time I got around
to it the site was slammed! Then I forgot.
Say this mantra: "Ooohmmm-Adobe is working on this-ooohmmm" 3 times.

Ramoas

Nov 21, 2008, 7:09:54 PM11/21/08
Hi psyflamejockey,

Adobe's initial response was canned - they didn't understand what I said (or
didn't read it or both).

I shot back, and I've been told today that my case has been forwarded to a
Senior Support Engineer, who will supposedly analyze the process dumps.

So, still waiting for something substantive.

I'll post the problematic call stack into the forum for others to compare
against (I'm confident everyone will have same, but doesn't hurt to confirm).

Gary Goldblum

Nov 21, 2008, 7:45:41 PM11/21/08
Hi Mush25-
Fire up yer FP10 and try this: Disable all Java (Sun Micro, not script)
Activexes (should be several of them) via the "manage add-ons". Restart IE7,
hit a coupla sites as a test. Then re-enable them, restart IE7, and hit a
coupla sites, maybe CNN.com and play a video. IE7 should be a bit faster and
video should be OK. This solved (for now) my Windows Live/Hotmail/MSN IE7 Hang
issue. I'm in day 2 of testing this.
RE: AVGF8- You probably know this already....Linkscanner can be disabled from
the user panel (and will "!"), but SafeSearch has to be disabled from the
IE7/Tools/Manage Add-ons (and Linkscanner won't "!"). This will enable you to
test the Hang issue. Some earlier LS/SS issues were IE7 Hang, mostly on IE7
pg2.
Let me know if the Java thing works for you, and we can add it to Morac's
list! :grin;

Gary Goldblum

Nov 21, 2008, 8:31:57 PM11/21/08
Hi Psyflamejockey and Tjdavid81561-
After you guys watch the cool skateboarding dog, read the first part of my latest post to Mush25. Try the Java thing and let me know if it worked for you. Thanks.

Papa Don

Nov 24, 2008, 1:06:43 AM11/24/08
I don't know if the problem I'm experiencing is related but it appears to be.
Whenever I access the WebCrosswords website, www.webcrosswords.com, the browser
fails with the plugin flash10.ocx. I have 32bit Vista with IE7. I never had any
problems until the recent update. The error msg is as follows:
Internet Explorer experienced a problem with a plugin and must shut down,
The following add-on was running when this problem occurred:
Add-on Name: Flash10a.ocx
Company Name: Adobe Systems Incorporated
This failure occurs every time I access this site. Hope this helps find a
solution.

Papa Don

Nov 24, 2008, 1:09:53 AM11/24/08

Gary Goldblum

Nov 24, 2008, 1:39:04 AM11/24/08
Hi Papa Don-
We're all IE7 Hang(s) here, we have to do the task manager/end task thing. I
checked out another thread listing your issue of IE7 shutdown but they don't
have a solution either! Was your update/upgrade to FP10 "Adobe-prompted"
(yes/no page) or done manually? Also, check out in this forum "Adobe Flash
Player 10 Fix for Vista & XP" by "thetechangel.com", it's now on page 2. It's
worked for many. I'm waiting for some replies back.
In this thread see line 4 in my post of 11/21. :grin;

psyflamejockey

Nov 24, 2008, 6:25:55 AM11/24/08
hey garry

i've deactivated the java add-ons, but the prob persists. so i think we can rule out that option also ...
i hope a solution can b found soon ...

peace and love
ohad

mush25

Nov 24, 2008, 11:47:30 AM11/24/08
Hi Gary,
I'll try your Java tip but it can take me up to three days to get a hang.
Having Flash disabled speeds up my browser - none of those animated adverts.
When I downloaded Adobe Air 1.5 I noticed that the Flash plugin in it was
version 10.0.12.37. So perhaps there's an update on the way.
Your suggestions about line speed are interesting. I get a maximum of 1Mbs
with quite a high error rate. Could be one of those nasty timing related
problems I remember from when I used to work in IT when dinosaurs ruled the
Earth.
Going away for a while. Hope there's a fix when I get back.

Gary Goldblum

Nov 24, 2008, 8:57:15 PM11/24/08
Hi Psyflamejockey-
So you disabled, restarted IE, tested; re-enabled, restarted IE, tested. It
still didn't help? I don't know why this stuff works for me and not you guys.
I'm not that special. Did you look at thetechangel.com's fix? Were you able to
watch the skateboarding dog? Other than your Kapersky thing your setup should
be similar to mine.
I'm out of ideas (again). :confused;

Gary Goldblum

Nov 24, 2008, 9:04:20 PM11/24/08
OK Mush25-
Have a good one. Hopefully there WILL be a fix for ya on your return!
:beer;

Gary Goldblum

Nov 24, 2008, 9:11:56 PM11/24/08
Hi Morac-
Still no fix for ya, just some things to try. Sorry about that.
Maybe Adobe will have it soon. :confused;
Have a good visit with your Dad.

easy...@zcloud.net

Nov 25, 2008, 2:53:02 AM11/25/08
I have posted a solution to this problem

Vista + Internet Explorer 7 + Flash Problem

@

http://www.easysurf.cc/shortct.htm#vista

psyflamejockey

Dec 9, 2008, 10:16:30 AM12/9/08
hey all

i received a msg from adobe that a new version of the fp is available.
unfortunatly there wasnt any new version, and the problem still persists.
anyone has a solution yet? adobe team?

peace and love
ohad

BinkFlash

Dec 12, 2008, 11:04:00 AM12/12/08
Flash has a long history of problems?and I highly recommend the use of the free
Toggle Flash, http://flash.melameth.com , to address them. It makes it easy to
use Flash only when absolutely necessary.

Gary Goldblum

Dec 16, 2008, 4:44:32 AM12/16/08
Hi psyflamejockey-
What new version? I haven't seen one for FP10. I did see an update for
Reader9's "Acrobat-on-Air" (now v1.5), but that was a security update from a
few weeks ago. Did they give you a new version #? :confused;

psyflamejockey

Dec 29, 2008, 10:11:45 PM12/29/08
hey garry

it was my mistak apparently ... my machine informed me its making an adobe fp
update, probably it was a re-instalation od the fp10. no other news on this
front ... still wating for a new version

peace and love
ohad

tapierce1

Jan 5, 2009, 10:29:11 AM1/5/09
Have you tried on IE8 Beta?

-----------------------------------
http://www.crownhillgarden.com

SkyAZ

Jan 6, 2009, 12:57:03 AM1/6/09
I have discovered that Adobe Flash 10 crashes IE 7 on Vista Home Premium SP1 if
I try to surf away from any web site containing a flash object that has not
finished running. If I wait to make sure the flash object has completed its
cycle, then I can surf away from that web site without IE freezing up. So...it
seems that Adobe needs to fix things such that it doesn't matter if you decide
to leave the page before the flash object has stopped running. ATTENTION ANYONE
FROM ADOBE: This is not rocket science, so it shouldn't take you 3 months to
figure out how to fix this error!

Charbs09

Jan 6, 2009, 8:31:44 PM1/6/09
Hi Everyone,
Thanks to everyone's hard work looking into this issue I was able to reproduce
the hang fairly reliably. It seems to stem from an installation issue, here's
how I did it:
1.) Perform a clean uninstall of all Flash players
2.) Install Flash 9r124
3.) Visit any Flash content in IE 7, (I used www.webcrosswords.com as one
poster mentioned above)
4.) Close the browser, and manually install Flash 10_r12_036, without
uninstalling 9 first
reliably for 1-3 tries, but seemed to happen less regularly after that.

Using that method I replaced 10_r12_036 with our latest patch build and could
not reproduce the issue. It seems this has been corrected in preparation for
our latest patch release. Thank you everyone for your input on this, it truly
was a hard one to nail down.

SkyAZ

Jan 6, 2009, 11:39:17 PM1/6/09
Well, Charbs09... that doesn't explain much to me at all because I totally
uninstalled everything having to do with Adobe Flash off my system and made
sure there were no references to it in my registry or anywhere else on my
computer before I ever installed Flash Player 10.0.12.36...but anyway. So when
do we get your "latest patch release" that will fix the problem?

ThurstonLee

Jan 7, 2009, 1:13:44 AM1/7/09
I just built a new system with Vista 64 bit w/IE7 have also been experiencing
problems with the Flash player - almost every page I go to the Flash player
installation box pops up asking to install Flash. I say yes and it appears to
install, but it really doesn't, but it goes away and waits till I go to the
next web page with Flash and annoys me all over again, with the same results.
What a nuisance ! I came to this forum looking for solutions and found I am
not alone. I too am anxious for the updated Flash player which hopefully
resolves this problem.

Aigurs

Jan 8, 2009, 1:03:39 AM1/8/09
I am having [i]serious[/i] difficulties with Adobe Flash Player 10. In December
of '08, I upgraded from FP 9 and ever since I have been hanging and
occasionally even crashing in IE 7. It took a while to determine that it was FP
10, but I came to the realization that it was, as these problems didn't start
occuring until I downloaded FP 10 - and that the hangs and crashes only occur
with add-ons enabled and with only three add-ons running in my "manage add-ons"
tab.

I have used Adobe's uninstaller - following directions perfectly -
uninstalled, reinstalled repeatedly. Yet, I am still having the issues with IE
hanging and sometimes crashing. I notice it happens most frequently when I open
another tab and load another page, or when I navigate away from another page,
or when I try to close an existing tab. The page turns an opaque white and a
box will come up and tell me that "Internet Explorer Is Not Responding". It
will then give me the option of closing the program or restarting the program.
Occasionally I even have to use Task Manager to close windows (often losing
work in the process).

Unfortunately, I can't replicate the problem with any certainty. It happens on
and off, without warning. But, usually on pages that are loaded with Flash
images.

Is there a patch for this any time soon? I use many websites that require a
Flash player -- and this is just irritating and enormously frustrating. This is
happening up to five or six times daily now. I'm very disgruntled at this point
and have invested far too much time in initially figuring out what was causing
this. When will it be fixed?

:frown;

SkyAZ

Jan 8, 2009, 3:07:09 AM1/8/09
Just think... for every single posting here, there are probably 10,000 other
users of Adobe Flash Player 10 who either don't know why their Internet
Explorer keeps crashing or don't know there is a forum here to vent their
frustrations. It's truly sad that this has been a problem since mid-October and
Adobe seems to act like they could care less about fixing it. Perhaps we need
to start a worldwide movement encouraging web site developers to abandon Flash
in favor of Microsoft Silverlight.

petersunny

Jan 8, 2009, 9:55:51 AM1/8/09
[q][i]Originally posted by: [b][b]Aigurs[/b][/b][/i]
I am having [I]serious[/I] difficulties with Adobe Flash Player 10. In
December of '08, I upgraded from FP 9 and ever since I have been hanging and
occasionally even crashing in IE 7. I am using Windows Vista Home Premium SP 1,
32bit OS. It took a while to determine that it was FP 10, but I came to the
[...]

:frown;[/q]

same here! I got the same problem as you!! I dont know what the hell adobe
doing now????? a lots of complain already but they seems not planning to do
anything! maybe becasue its free so they have the right not to care us??? what
the hell!!!!???? Big company always dont mind small end user!!! Hoping and
waiting some other company can create new platform to replace adobe flash!!!!

Gary Goldblum

Jan 8, 2009, 7:32:47 PM1/8/09
Thanks Charbs09-
We look forward to Adobe's patch release, hopefully soon. :beer;

Zorrokat

Jan 10, 2009, 3:55:24 PM1/10/09
Hi
I am pretty computer illiterate and have been frustrated for about a month
over this issue. I have vista and internet 7. When I opened more than one
window the page would freeze and say not responding. It eventually got to the
point where it would just freeze and I would have to do the control alt delete.
I spent the last month searching the forums and help and support for windows.
I have spectorsoft and norton on my computer. I even did some of the
recommended steps to ensure no spyware and ran one of the programs windows has
on its website just to double check. I finally decided it was the flash..
Since I always do the updates I'm assuming it is the latest flash. i had
uninstalled and installed it again. When I uninstalled it i found out the
problem didnt happen or not as much (I think).

Last week I finally figure out how to use internet tools under add ons to
disable flash when i use other programs. And enable it when i need to see
stuff that needs flash.

I'm hoping the is the problem with my computer. I see a patch should be
released soon. Is there any thing else i should check or do? You need to be
specfic with your instructions as computer lingo hurts my head.

hexaae

Jan 21, 2009, 6:50:56 PM1/21/09

lanesharon

Jan 21, 2009, 11:17:36 PM1/21/09
I have been freezing (locking up) also. I have IE7, Adobe flashutil10a, and
Vista Home. I finally am realizing why this is happening.

If a website has mutliple flash items on it, Adobe loads multiple versions of
flashutil10a. Since many of the new website developers have gone flash crazy,
throwing images and ads at us, this can add up quickly.

If you are like I am and running lean (Athlon 1145 MHZ, 1G memory), then you
will freeze. At least, that is my suggestion for why this is happening.

hexaae

Jan 21, 2009, 11:34:19 PM1/21/09
[q][i]Originally posted by: [b][b]lanesharon[/b][/b][/i]

will freeze. At least, that is my suggestion for why this is happening.[/q]

No this problem has been reproduced on all kinds of PCs. For me I have a 4GB
ram, Core 2 Duo 2GHz... moreover, if it was a "too much flash" problem would be
always reproduceable on the same web page. If you reload the page where you've
been stuck before, you won't again. It happens randomly....

lanesharon

Jan 22, 2009, 11:56:13 PM1/22/09
Tried and experiment today. You can read about it on the forums here:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=44&catid=18
4&threadid=1419621

It is definitely Flash and I have proven it, beyond a shadow of a doubt. So
WHY are they not doing something about it?

It is loading more messages.