No sound, video stops playing after few seconds

jjpijpker

Jan 16, 2008, 2:15:17 PM1/16/08
Hey,

I have a problem with my Flashplayer. When i watch videos on websites like
Youtube of so, sometimes it happens that my Flashplayer doesn't play the sound.
The video will play for about two seconds (the whole video is loaded) and than,
just stops playing. I can just drag to another part of the video, from which
two seconds wil be played again. After i refresh Firefox, the problem usualy is
gone. Does anyone else have this problem and more important, who can tell me
the solution...?

mike95060

Jan 20, 2008, 12:29:19 PM1/20/08
Hi jjpijpker,

Thanks for posting. I?m having the same/similar problem and so are some of
these folks:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=617400&postdays=0&postorder=asc&po
stsperpage=15&start=0

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6384201#6384201

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=173889

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=44&catid=18
4&threadid=1325732&enterthread=y

Almost all people mention: 2 seconds, no sound, works for some time after
Flashplayer uninstalled and re-installed, seems to have started less than two
month ago, most browsers/operating systems but not usually IE.

No solution so far for me. Some of my data:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Card name: RADEON X300 SE 128MB HyperMemory
Driver Date: 3/29/2005
Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6525 (English)

Maybe an Adobe Senior Member has some suggestions which we could try. This
might suggest an answer:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=44&catid=18
4&threadid=1328078&enterthread=y#4819910

jjpijpker

Jan 23, 2008, 5:09:49 AM1/23/08
I found a solution for this problem. The first time it appeared, was after
installing Realplayer. I thought it was not possible that such a videoplayer
could be the cause, but apparently it did. Some other people had this problem
too and it was solved by deinstalling Realplayer. Of course it would be nice to
find a way to keep them both, but for now, this is a solution. I hope it works
for you too Mike!

mike95060

Jan 25, 2008, 1:38:09 PM1/25/08
Thanks, jjpijpker.

I use RealPlayer all the time so I am hoping someone can figure how to make
Flashplayer work, because I will have to give up using Flashplayer on Firefox
and keep RealPlayer (even if RealPlayer IS causing Flashplayer to misbehave on
my computer). I'm glad that at this point I can use Flashplayer on IE.

woostie

Jan 25, 2008, 9:15:11 PM1/25/08
This problem started just the other day for me. I do NOT have real player
installed (I use Real Alternative).

Happens in Firefox-- apparently it's ok in IE but I don't try repeated

Video (youtube, other flash videos) and games will appear to load, status bar
says "done." VIdeo loads, plays (without sound) for a few seconds, then seizes
and will play no more. I can drag the scroll bar through the time of the video
and see images from the rest of the video but it will not play. And there
remains no sound.

Closing an instance of Firefox and restarting it will allow me go play one
youtube video. Then it starts with this trick again.

XP Pro (current with service packs), 2 Gb memory, nvidia geforce 7300 GT,
current firefox and current Flash versions (I've removed and reinstalled Flash
several times but still get the same problem).

This just started happening a day or so ago, perhaps some Windows XP update
caused it because I haven't changed Firefox or Flash during the time this began
to go south.

Hope this can be fixed quickly, it's rather infuriating.

Steekbaard

Jan 27, 2008, 5:34:11 AM1/27/08
I wonder whether this is the same cause as with my problem? have invested in
an expensive online course which uses videos. But if I hit any control - pause,
back etc, the video will not go beyond that point of intervention. Yesterday I
had no sooner begun when we suffered a power failure - now that video won't
play beyond the start. Am I being dumb? Please help

Steekbaard

goof3

Jan 28, 2008, 1:15:10 PM1/28/08
We recently rebuilt our home computer and after reinstalling Firefox and Flash
(using the latest versions from their respective download sites), I also had
this problem. It used to work before the reinstall so I grabbed the backup
copy of my old Firefox Plugins folder from before the rebuild and replaced the
Plugins folder in my current Firefox directory. That seems to have fixed the
problem. I noticed that the version of Flash in the old plugin folder is
9.0.28, the current version is 9.0.115. Maybe this will help someone else.

shancan

Jan 28, 2008, 8:39:41 PM1/28/08
FlashPlayer 9.0.115.0 is causing all sorts of playback problems; doesn't matter
which browser or platform. Try an earlier version of Flashplayer like 9.0.47.0.
and see if that helps. I don't know why Adobe still has the latest FlashPlayer
9.0.115.0 up there...it's like Free Gas that causes your car to choke and not
run right.

Nikhil Jain

Jan 29, 2008, 6:46:39 AM1/29/08
[q][i]Originally posted by: [b][b]mike95060[/b][/b][/i]
Thanks, jjpijpker.

my computer). I'm glad that at this point I can use Flashplayer on IE.[/q]

good to hear that its atleast working with IE...

http://www.home-remedies.info | http://www.bodybuilding4u.com

woostie

Jan 29, 2008, 6:30:26 PM1/29/08
Shancan Wrote: "FlashPlayer 9.0.115.0 is causing all sorts of playback
problems; doesn't matter which browser or platform. Try an earlier version of
Flashplayer like 9.0.47.0. and see if that helps. "

Finally an answer that works. Runnin 9.0.47.0 now and it seems to be ok.

I got the version 9.0.47.0 at the "Archived Flash Players available for
testing purposes" page:
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14266&sliceId=2

Extracted the .47 version and (after uninstalling all flash) ran the windows
installer. Seems to work fine in Firefox now.

I've chaged settings to keep Flash from updating unless I okay it Change your
flash settings by means of the following page:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_man
ager02.html

Shancan wrote:
"I don't know why Adobe still has the latest FlashPlayer 9.0.115.0 up
there...it's like Free Gas that causes your car to choke and not run right."

Agreed, except it's only cause trouble for me with Firefox, which is about 1/5
of the market (about a third in Europe), so it seems like it would be
thoroughly tested in Firefox.

Anyway thanks ShanCan. I won't upgrade Flash until absolutely necessary unless
they explicitly say they've fixed this issue.

Oh, there is probably some security issue with version 9.0.47.0, so use it at
your own risk.

Steekbaard

Jan 29, 2008, 11:12:03 PM1/29/08
Thanks for the input Guys. i certainly will try an older version. BUT.. in the
meanwhil, I contacted the webmaster resposible for publishing the videos and he
found that he "used a cap F instead of lower case f "in his code. As a result
him correcting the error, those videos are now working properly

TheBorg[NL]

Feb 2, 2008, 9:15:18 AM2/2/08
I don't have Realplayer installed, but I experience the same problem in Firefox. Restarting the browser fixes the problem temporary.

Why is there no official response from Adobe in this thread???

tcolberg

Feb 3, 2008, 9:33:57 PM2/3/08
I have the exact same issue and haven't seen the problem addressed anywhere
else. It only started after I upgraded to the latest version a few days ago.
I have RealPlayer on the system, but do not use it. WinXP, Firefox 2.0.0.11.
I suppose I'll try downgrading.

Andy089

Feb 4, 2008, 7:52:00 AM2/4/08
[q][i]Originally posted by: [b][b]tcolberg[/b][/b][/i] I have the exact same
issue and haven't seen the problem addressed anywhere else. It only started
after I upgraded to the latest version a few days ago. I have RealPlayer on
the system, but do not use it. WinXP, Firefox 2.0.0.11. I suppose I'll try
downgrading.[/q] I would deinstall real player first.

Steekbaard

Feb 4, 2008, 9:44:41 AM2/4/08
The same problem. One video, after playing for about 20 secs cuts out and
redirects to a completely different site. It was suggested that downloading the
previous version would solve the problem. That link givesa corrupted file
message so its back to square 1. About a week ago I wrote to Adobe support,
received an acknowledgement and an assurance that I would have an answer in 24
hrs - 1 week ago. You are right! DESPITE ALL THE MESSAGES OF COMPLAINT, WHY
DOES'NT ADOBE DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT? Steekbaard

Orejano

Feb 5, 2008, 7:48:21 AM2/5/08
Same problem here. Started when last version was installed, a couple weeks ago.
I use Windows XP Professional, SP2, Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0.5730 and
Firefox 2.0.0.11. Flash Player fails in both browsers. I don't have Real Player
installed. Had to reinstall Flash Player to acess Youtube and other sites, but
troubles started over today. After reinstalling for the second time, Flash
Player seems to work properly but it will surely fail in the near future.

PeaceNic

Feb 6, 2008, 10:22:47 AM2/6/08
This is RIDICULOUS!! Come on Adobe! It's VERY obvious that MANY people are
having issues with sound / playback w/ Flash Player 9. There is NO sound in
Firefox (Mac / PC) and playback issues as well. I cannot believe they have not
put out a fix, or coding suggestions that will fix this problems for the
numerous content providers that post .flv files? I CANNOT play content on CNN,
Comedy Central, You Tube and for ALL the resources Adobe has, there is not a
*fix* alert sent out to those who they KNOW are content managers? We've
started instructing our content viewers to UNINSTALL Flash Player 9 and
reinstall 8! C'MON PEOPLE!

mike073048

Feb 6, 2008, 12:02:09 PM2/6/08
[q][i]Originally posted by: [b][b]woostie[/b][/b][/i] Shancan Wrote:
'FlashPlayer 9.0.115.0 is causing all sorts of playback problems; doesn't
matter which browser or platform. Try an earlier version of Flashplayer like
9.0.47.0. and see if that helps. ' Finally an answer that works. Runnin
9.0.47.0 now and it seems to be ok. I got the version 9.0.47.0 at the
'Archived Flash Players available for testing purposes' page:
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14266&sliceId=2

Extracted the .47 version and (after uninstalling all flash) ran the windows
installer. Seems to work fine in Firefox now. I've chaged settings to keep
Flash from updating unless I okay it Change your flash settings by means of
the following page:
http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_man
ager02.html Shancan wrote: 'I don't know why Adobe still has the latest
FlashPlayer 9.0.115.0 up there...it's like Free Gas that causes your car to
choke and not run right.' Agreed, except it's only cause trouble for me with
Firefox, which is about 1/5 of the market (about a third in Europe), so it
seems like it would be thoroughly tested in Firefox. Anyway thanks ShanCan. I
won't upgrade Flash until absolutely necessary unless they explicitly say
they've fixed this issue. Oh, there is probably some security issue with
version 9.0.47.0, so use it at your own risk.[/q]

mike073048

Feb 6, 2008, 12:06:32 PM2/6/08
I got the version 9.0.47.0 at the 'Archived Flash Players available for testing
purposes' page:
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14266&sliceId=2

Extracted the .47 version and (after uninstalling all flash) ran the windows
installer. Seems to work fine in Firefox now. I tried to install version
9.0.47.0 from the 'Archived Flash Players available for testing purposes' but
it wouldn't let me because there was a new version available, how were you able
to install that version?

mazzolar

Feb 9, 2008, 1:42:50 PM2/9/08
This should fix the problem:
I have had the same problem for the past few weeks. It seems to have started
when firefox updated itself. I tried the troubleshooting instructions on the
adobe web site but had no success. I then tried mozilla's troubleshooting
instructions which led me to the folder: C:\Program Files\Mozilla
Firefox\plugins. I noticed that the dll for flash player(WPSWF32.dll) was not
in this folder. I did a search and found the file in
C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash. I copied and pasted the dll to the
"plugins" folder and my problem was fixed.

mike95060

Feb 9, 2008, 3:22:19 PM2/9/08
mazzolar, Perhaps you mean NPSWF32.dll? That dll has been in my Firefox
plugins folder and has not fixed my problem; I'm glad it fixed yours.

The problem for me (nd some other posters) is that simply restarting Firefox
sometimes fixes the problem for a few days, but not permanently.

I'd love to know if woostie's solution was permanent for him and I'd love to
have mike073048's question to Woostie answered.

karlk...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2008, 9:44:46 PM2/10/08
I tried the copy and pasted thing and that didn't work. I uninstalled
RealPlayer and that fixed the problem. It also fixed another problem I
was having with Comedy Central videos on my blogspot playing through,
but without sound. (Vista)

imbehind

Feb 27, 2008, 3:28:43 AM2/27/08
I have the same problem!

But, I'm not using ANY codecs such as real player's.

So...

tnke...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2008, 9:30:09 AM3/4/08

Me too on several computers, and it's even doing it in IE. I had to
unistall Flash, then install the .47 version. The first time I did
this I let Firefox install the Flash plugin and somehow it
reinstalled .115 - so I uninstalled again, reinstalled .47, and then
manually copied the NPSWF32.dll and flashplayer.xpt from the windows/
system32/macromed/flash folder to the mozilla firefox/plugins folder.
This seems to have worked.

Gary Block

Mar 4, 2008, 12:52:19 PM3/4/08
I'm having the problem on NFL.com. Funny, the commercial before the video plays
just fine but the video freezes. I installed the latest version of Flash but it
didn't help. Screw it, I'll watch ESPN on the tube.

Gary Block

Mar 4, 2008, 1:00:27 PM3/4/08
Copying the mpswf32.dll file to the Firefox plugin folder didn't work for me either. Freezes in IE too.

tnke...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2008, 3:06:46 PM3/4/08
On Mar 4, 1:00 pm, "Gary Block" <webforumsu...@macromedia.com> wrote:
> Copying the mpswf32.dll file to the Firefox plugin folder didn't work for me either. Freezes in IE too.

make sure you have uninstalled the latest versions and gone back to an
older version (.47) the Npsw file should say version 9.0.47, not
9.0.115 - we do NOT want the latest version of flash, it doesn't work.

efnx

Apr 6, 2008, 1:28:16 PM4/6/08
Try installing the debug version of Flash 9, I haven't seen any problems with
any flash content [and that is the version I use]. It seems like the problem is
cross platform, just like the Flash VM, so maybe it will be solved with the
debug version. Good luck.

gent44

May 16, 2008, 4:17:54 PM5/16/08
Did you try to downgrade flash player?

srv90

May 29, 2008, 10:22:51 PM5/29/08
Those using firefox, exit Firefox, and just go to the following directory
"C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles", and delete the folder
in there (don't worry, it will be recreated when you next launch FF). THis
should rectify the issue for you.

CHeers

Ken-X2

Jun 5, 2008, 1:13:01 PM6/5/08
I just wanted to say THANKS to Mazzolar and Mike95060. Their help solved this
problem for me, after two months of trying to figure it out. So far I have
consistent sound for two hours!

Search this topic for their names or the date 02/09/2008 to learn to copy the
NPSWF32.dll into the proper folder.

Thanks!

WebmasterBlog

Jun 16, 2008, 6:05:52 AM6/16/08
If it's not working than, download an older wesion. For me it's wprking propertly.

Bober1987

Jun 16, 2008, 12:01:52 PM6/16/08
Works after reboot for maybe 2 pages or times. mp3's and flv's won't play. Even
when I add a flv inside a swf it won't play. Just stops after 2 frames or 2
seconds on streaming video. For mp3's it just won't start. Like myspace. So
it's not a browser issue. Please someone fix this. My computer doesn't work
right. Been like this for months.

drubtos

Jun 25, 2008, 7:23:19 AM6/25/08
Thank you for the informations, now working fine.

AlexTorch

Jul 15, 2008, 9:23:26 AM7/15/08
I found a solution for this problem. The first time it appeared, was after
installing Realplayer. I thought it was not possible that such a videoplayer
could be the cause, but apparently it did. Some other people had this problem
too and it was solved by deinstalling Realplayer. Of course it would be nice to
find a way to keep them both, but for now, this is a solution. I hope it works
for you too Mike!
[HR]

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=15&catid=57
8&threadid=1378318&enterthread=y

AlexTorch

Jul 15, 2008, 9:30:01 AM7/15/08

davefrade

Aug 28, 2008, 7:57:35 PM8/28/08
Yes, it's working for me in ie, and not in firefox since the (forced) upgrade. I'll stick with ie.

Phillipz

Sep 8, 2008, 6:32:07 PM9/8/08
mazzolar, i really like what you say about that.

LuckyNumberSleven

Sep 14, 2008, 6:15:04 PM9/14/08
davefrade,
Use Flash 10 beta in Firefox 3 and you'll be fine.

capn0jack

Oct 26, 2008, 4:11:52 AM10/26/08
Well, I was having this same 2-second video freeze issue. I'm running Ubuntu
8.04 64-bit so I have to run flash under firefox32. Detail:

Linux hostname-ubuntu 2.6.24-21-generic #1 SMP Mon Aug 25 16:57:51 UTC 2008
x86_64 GNU/Linux

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.13) Gecko/20080311
Firefox/2.0.0.13

Shockwave Flash

File name: libflashplayer.so
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r124

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf Yes
application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player spl Yes

What I found was that /tmp appeared to be full despite lots of disk space
(check bug here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/285096). After a
reboot, things were back to normal (that is, /tmp didn't appear to be a
separate filesystem).

capn0jack

Oct 26, 2008, 4:15:44 AM10/26/08
This is where I confirmed that the Flash player cared about /tmp: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-275947.html

TopLawyer

Mar 4, 2009, 9:04:38 AM3/4/09
"Yes I had a similar problem too, but thanks this solution worked for me."
However, I do know of a
http://www.giveawaylegalforms.com website which ended-up ditching their use of
flash components (mostly sound problems i think?) because they couldn't get it
to work with a majority of flashplayers.

nanat...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2014, 6:24:24 PM9/25/14
Same problem. Advertisements play with sound, perfect. Then the video (any video, even instructional) plays a few seconds, stops, I. Try over & over, videos won't play, or produce sound, even one from Pepperidge Farms instructing consumers how to use puff pastry. Very frustrating. I will just go use a real cookbook that WORKS BY TURNING PAGES!