My Animated GIF Plays slow in IE, yet plays fine in Fireworks -Why?

jusplainwacky

Jan 30, 2006, 1:19:47 PM1/30/06
Hi...I'm fairly new to Fireworks....and I have created an Animated GIF in
Fireworks with about 250 frames with a 3/100 delay per frame. It plays at the
right speed in Fireworks, yet plays very slow in Internet Explorer.
I'm exporting it with the Optimize of "Exact" and have tired other settings,
but they all seem to play at the same speed.
Anyone have some suggestions on what is causing this?

Thanks to anyone that can suggest any ideas.

Jim Babbage

Feb 1, 2006, 12:30:44 PM2/1/06
jusplainwacky wrote:

My first thought is - that's a lot of frames! The number of frames will
affect the file size of the image. Internet traffic, bandwidth, and
connection speed will also affect the playback. Is there anyway to
reduce the number of frames? That should help a bit. What are the
dimensions of the animation?

The file will playback fine in FW because it's a) local and b) FW may
not accurately emulate the frame rate.

--
Jim Babbage - .:CMX:. & .:TMM:.
Extending Knowledge, Daily

jusplainwacky

Feb 1, 2006, 12:55:36 PM2/1/06
Hi...thank you for taking the time to respond. You are correct. I went online
and found that by reducing the number of frames it actually does speed it up. I
removed every other frame. Just seems weired that the amount of frames would
affect the speed, but it does. Works great now!

senocular

Feb 1, 2006, 2:08:38 PM2/1/06
I remember hearing that IE handles animated GIFs differently too. Apparently
there's a bit of diversity of how an animated GIF plays on different browsers
depending on who knows how many factors (not me).

Jim Babbage

Feb 1, 2006, 3:15:57 PM2/1/06
jusplainwacky wrote:

I'm glad that worked for you. Keep in mind that every *frame* of an
animated gif is basically another image file that is interleaved in the
one larger file. So, the more frames, the bigger file. Ihave no idea how
large your original file was in terms of dimensions or file size so it's
hard to say much more (and frankly, I don't want to pretend that I
*know* much more. lol

abeall

Feb 1, 2006, 4:03:29 PM2/1/06
"I went online and found that by reducing the number of frames it actually does
speed it up. I removed every other frame. Just seems weired that the amount of
frames would affect the speed, but it does."

If you think it about it, this is how frames-per-seconds works. The more
frames you have, the longer/slower the animation. The less frames, the faster.
If you have a 30fps animation, then 60 frames would take 2 seconds, and 30
frames would take 1 second, and 15 frames would take half a second. Making
every frame in the GIF display for 3/100 of a second is about 33fps