Fireworks 8 file association

GITCON

Sep 19, 2005, 11:11:40 AM9/19/05
I can't get my .gif and .jpg associated with Fireworks 8. Please Help

Geek Guy

Sep 19, 2005, 7:13:36 PM9/19/05
P.C.
"GITCON" <webfor...@macromedia.com> wrote in message

Alan Musselman

Sep 19, 2005, 7:24:14 PM9/19/05
If you want to change the application that can open them:

1. Right-click the GIF or JPG and click "Properties"
2. With the Properties open, click Change and select or find Fireworks 8 from
the list of programs.

Just to note for sanity sake, the document icons have stayed the same for
Studio 8 (just so you know). Maybe this might be the confusion?

Hope this helps!

Alan Musselman

Sep 19, 2005, 1:36:42 PM9/19/05
Are you on PC or MAC?

Geek Guy

Sep 19, 2005, 10:27:09 PM9/19/05
Actually the best way would be to do a re-install of Fireworks V8. There
are some computers out there that do not handle the new fill associations
very well, especially if you still have Fireworks 2004 MX installed.

creativechaos

Sep 20, 2005, 4:22:25 AM9/20/05
Just installed Studio 8 and I also have no file associations set up with
Fireworks - or Flash for that matter.
.swf's remain unassociated, as do jpgs and gif's...
According to the Fireworks 8 release notes:

The Fireworks installer allows you to set Fireworks as the default
editing/viewing application for several graphic file types
Unfortunately, by installing the entire Studio I was never presented with this
option. Is this the general case? BTW this is PC version of Studio 8

jnosal

Sep 20, 2005, 11:25:37 AM9/20/05
In the situation where the files are not associated to Fireworks 8, what application are these files associated to?

Linda Rathgeber-Stewart *TMM*

Sep 20, 2005, 11:42:56 AM9/20/05
jnosal wrote:
> In the situation where the files are not associated to Fireworks 8, what application are these files associated to?

Whichever program your computer recognizes as the defaults for opening
those file types.

--
Linda Rathgeber-Stewart ::: PVII
http://www.projectseven.com

Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
Team MM Fireworks Volunteer | www.macromedia.com/go/team

XSireX

Sep 20, 2005, 1:26:08 PM9/20/05
Same problem here.

jnosal

Sep 20, 2005, 1:45:43 PM9/20/05
I am specificly looking for a common thread for which application has ownership of the files. That is why I am asking for this information.

creativechaos

Sep 20, 2005, 8:25:49 PM9/20/05
actually... the file types I mentioned (jpg gif swf) had lost their
associations with all programs. previously I think the jpg's and gif's were
associated with microsoft fax and image viewer, and the swfs with
FlashPlayer... but since installing Studio 8 they dropped these associations.

temporalartistry

Oct 12, 2005, 10:48:24 AM10/12/05
I had the same problem with my Studio 8 upgrade install... all the file
associations were with MX programs, and when I uninstalled MX, 8 didn't pick
them up.

And... when I'm in the "File Types" dialogue in Windows 2000, Fireworks 8
doesn't show up as an option in the list. When I browse for it and choose it,
it doesn't "stick."

septicman

Oct 13, 2005, 5:40:38 PM10/13/05
We're a dev shop in New Zealand, and four of us here have installed Studio 8
for PC (Windows XP) and all of us are now having varying problems with file
associations.

We all installed Studio 8, then, after making sure our files could open up
correctly, de-installed one or more of the MX applications (in my case, I only
de-installed FireWorks MX 2004, but others removed all the MX stuff). Prior to
the de-install, PNGs (as an example) were still linked to FireWorks MX 2004
rather than FireWorks 8 (which is why I de-installed). Now, however, JPGs,
GIFs and PNGs have no association at all, and cannot be opened with FireWorks 8
by 'selecting a program from the list' etc. The ONLY way to get them to open
is to do so from within the app or to drag and drop into the open app window.

One of us has completely deinstalled MX 2004 and Studio 8 then reinstalled
Studio 8 and still the file associations haven't come right. As you can
imagine, quite frustrating. I might hazard a humble guess that the installer
isn't writing to the registry correctly?

Given that this has hit four of us in this one office, I suspect there will be
a great many more people that have this problem...

Will keep an eye on this thread for any answers!

split77

Oct 13, 2005, 7:29:22 PM10/13/05
Just to let you know, I'm also having this problem on Windows XP SP2. I've
managed to sort out the PNG associations by removing Fireworks MX and then
using the Repair option for Fireworks 8 (under add and remove programs), now
they open fine, but I can't associate JPEG's and GIF's with Fireworks 8 (I to
have browsed for the Fireworks8.exe, selected it only to have it mysteriously
not appear in the list, before removing Fireworks MX it always hopped back to
that!). I'm also lookin forward to the solution!!

septicman

Oct 13, 2005, 7:38:50 PM10/13/05
Brilliant -- the PNG issue was the real pain for me, and I did the repair and it's fixed that up. Thanks!

Alan Musselman

Oct 14, 2005, 12:42:33 PM10/14/05
Hey guys,

Glad the repair fixed the file assoication for PNGs as it should. If that
doesnt work for anyone else, you could verify and modify the Registry keys:

Here are the Reg keys that FW uses for Launch and Edit:

Key Name:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\Fireworks.exe
Class Name: <NO CLASS>
Last Write Time: 8/23/2005 - 10:44 AM

Value 0
Name: <NO NAME>
Type: REG_SZ
Data: C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Fireworks 8\Fireworks.exe

Value 1
Name: Path
Type: REG_SZ
Data: C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Fireworks 8\Fireworks.exe

Note: Dreamweaver and Flash also look at this key to determine what version to
use with Launch and Edit.

I hope no one has to go this route...and as always be careful when editing Reg
Keys.