What will happen to Fireworks?

sebz2005

Feb 5, 2006, 2:16:07 AM2/5/06
As the title says, what will happen to fireworks? Will Adobe (eugh! :disgust; ) get rid of it eventualy?

Linda Rathgeber

Feb 5, 2006, 8:35:53 AM2/5/06
sebz2005 wrote:
> As the title says, what will happen to fireworks? Will Adobe (eugh! :disgust; ) get rid of it eventualy?

They'd better not. :-) Truthfully, nobody knows.

--
Linda Rathgeber-Stewart ::: PVII
http://www.projectseven.com

Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
Team MM Fireworks Volunteer | www.macromedia.com/go/team
Design Aid Kits:http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm

FatCat

Feb 5, 2006, 1:57:37 PM2/5/06
Hi Linda,

Man, I hope not! I like Photoshop for processing large pictures, etc. but
I'd sure hate having to use it for web work! We NEED those FW live effects!
I WOULD, however, love to see the Photoshop Bridge and its much better Hue
and Saturation control added to Fireworks.

Aloha,

Jerry
--
http://MauiWebDesigns.com

Linda Rathgeber

Feb 5, 2006, 2:09:52 PM2/5/06
FatCat wrote:
> Hi Linda,
>
> Man, I hope not! I like Photoshop for processing large pictures, etc. but
> I'd sure hate having to use it for web work!

Same here. :-)

abeall

Feb 5, 2006, 8:15:30 PM2/5/06
I use PS on a daily basis for web design. I dislike it more every day.

Waiting for FireShop. One can only hope!

sebz2005

Feb 5, 2006, 11:56:44 PM2/5/06
Yeah, well I use FW full stop. I was watching a french tutorial on how to make a CD. Quite nice!
I just hope Macromedia buys its self out! Ah... Good old times! :D

Alex Mariño

Feb 6, 2006, 12:00:47 AM2/6/06
Worse case scenario (in my opinion) - they get rid of it.
Does that mean I have to delete it from my computer? No.
Does that mean I have to quit using it for web design? No.

alex

sebz2005

Feb 6, 2006, 12:27:01 AM2/6/06
that sums it up for me!!! :D

Joe Makowiec

Feb 6, 2006, 6:49:58 AM2/6/06
On 06 Feb 2006 in macromedia.fireworks, Alex Mariño wrote:

> Worse case scenario (in my opinion) - they get rid of it.
> Does that mean I have to delete it from my computer? No.
> Does that mean I have to quit using it for web design? No.

But what happens to the 'phone home' versions[1] - MX 2004 and FW 8 -
when Macradobe decides to end support for them? They'll work as long as
they stay on the same machine (I think?), but won't necessarily be
transferrable to a new one.

Joe "I'm still using MX" Makowiec

[1] Well, the authorization versions, anyway
[2] Just for entertainment, do a web search for 'abandonware'

--
http://makowiec.net/
Email: http://makowiec.net/email.php

Lanny Chambers

Feb 6, 2006, 1:11:32 AM2/6/06
In article <ds6l3m$fc9$2...@forums.macromedia.com>,
Alex Mariño <aSlex...@mMt.net> wrote:

> Worse case scenario (in my opinion) - they get rid of it.
> Does that mean I have to delete it from my computer? No.
> Does that mean I have to quit using it for web design? No.

I'm happy as a clam using FW4, which does everything I need, except for
a rare trip to Photoshop 3.0. I also own MX2004, but find no compelling
reason to put up with its sluggishness, bugs, and awkward interface.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, USA

danielle_beaumont

Feb 7, 2006, 11:01:18 AM2/7/06
To the Forum ?

Thank you for all the support and praise you?ve expressed for Fireworks.

Fireworks continues to be an important product to the combined
Macromedia/Adobe portfolio and is actively under product development for a
yet-to-be announced product release. I?m incredibly excited to lead that front
as the Product Manager.

We know that for many years Fireworks has been an integral part of your
workflow with Dreamweaver and Flash. It will be our goal in the Product
Development team to preserve all of the features you value in Fireworks 8 while
developing a more cohesive solution with the Adobe Creative product line.

We will be relying on you in the Fireworks Design and Development community to
help us shape the direction of those product enhancements by way of end user
customer visits and pre-release testing.

Stay tuned and thanks again for the support.

Danielle Beaumont
Product Manager, Fireworks
Adobe Systems
dbea...@adobe.com

Linda Rathgeber

Feb 7, 2006, 11:39:28 AM2/7/06
Thanks very much, Danielle. It's great to have that confirmed!

Linda Rathgeber

Feb 7, 2006, 11:51:00 AM2/7/06
Donna Casey wrote:

> Thanks for that information and good news. If you need alpha/beta test
> participants, I'll volunteer. I have lots of experience and would love
> to participate.

Raising hand and jumping up and down, "Me too! Me too!"

Donna Casey

Feb 7, 2006, 11:45:32 AM2/7/06
danielle_beaumont wrote:
> We will be relying on you in the Fireworks Design and Development community to
> help us shape the direction of those product enhancements by way of end user
> customer visits and pre-release testing.

Thanks for that information and good news. If you need alpha/beta test

participants, I'll volunteer. I have lots of experience and would love
to participate.

Donna

A l e x M a r i ñ o

Feb 7, 2006, 12:00:07 PM2/7/06
me three ?

Stéphane Bergeron

Feb 7, 2006, 12:22:04 PM2/7/06
A l e x M a r i ń o wrote:
> me three ?

Me four!!

I've been a beta tester for the last 3 or 4 releases and would not want
to miss participating in the new version's development.

Btw... don't miss my new article on my pixelyzed.com site called "Why
Choose Fireworks"... Written from the perspective of a long time
Fireworks power user that's tired of the misconceptions about Fireworks
being circulated in various blogs and forums... It's also aimed at
people that may be looking for a Web graphics design app and would like
to know more about FW or for existing users who *only* use it as a
"replacement" for ImageReady...

http://www.pixelyzed.com/pixelforge/whychoosefireworks/

;-)

--
Stéphane Bergeron
reach : connect : communicate

Linda Rathgeber

Feb 7, 2006, 12:34:39 PM2/7/06
Stéphane Bergeron wrote:

> Btw... don't miss my new article on my pixelyzed.com site called "Why
> Choose Fireworks"...

Nice article, Stéphane.

Stéphane Bergeron

Feb 7, 2006, 1:16:40 PM2/7/06
Linda Rathgeber wrote:
> Nice article, Stéphane.

Thanks very much Linda... I though you'd appreciate ;-)

FatCat

Feb 7, 2006, 1:09:07 PM2/7/06
Hi Danielle,

Excellent news - I'm also available for beta testing!

PJR

Feb 7, 2006, 1:23:28 PM2/7/06
That is great news Danielle,

Please add my name to the list of Beta testers.

flash at fasterthanu dot com

Peter
________________________
"danielle_beaumont" <webfor...@macromedia.com> wrote in message

Lanny Chambers

Feb 7, 2006, 2:20:48 PM2/7/06
In article <dsag8e$nrt$1...@forums.macromedia.com>,
"danielle_beaumont" <webfor...@macromedia.com> wrote:

> We will be relying on you in the Fireworks Design and Development community
> to help us shape the direction of those product enhancements

Fix existing bugs first, then think about new features. Make FW's vector
tools as good as Illustrator's. Don't ever forget that FW is a vector
application, with incidental support for bitmaps and HTML.

Al Sparber- PVII

Feb 7, 2006, 1:43:40 PM2/7/06
"Stéphane Bergeron" <ne...@webfocusdesign.com> wrote in message

Great article.

Stéphane Bergeron

Feb 7, 2006, 2:20:23 PM2/7/06
Al Sparber- PVII wrote:
> Great article.

Thanks very much Al, much appreciated. As a long time Fireworks user
yourself I'm sure you didn't need my article to convince you of
Fireworks' greatness... ;-)

senocular

Feb 7, 2006, 2:30:28 PM2/7/06
Welcome to the Fireworks team Danielle!!!

senocular

Feb 7, 2006, 2:33:51 PM2/7/06
St?phane, are you on MXNA? I had to fight to get Fireworks listed as a
category only to have a handfull of feeds be added under it. You'd be a great
addition :)

http://weblogs.macromedia.com/mxna/SubmitFeed.cfm?init=true

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User

Al Sparber- PVII wrote:
> Great article.

Thanks very much Al, much appreciated. As a long time Fireworks user
yourself I'm sure you didn't need my article to convince you of
Fireworks' greatness... ;-)

--
St?phane Bergeron

Stéphane Bergeron

Feb 7, 2006, 3:13:57 PM2/7/06
senocular wrote:
> Stéphane, are you on MXNA? I had to fight to get Fireworks listed as a
> category only to have a handfull of feeds be added under it. You'd be a great
> addition :)
>
> http://weblogs.macromedia.com/mxna/SubmitFeed.cfm?init=true

Thanks Trevor! I just submitted it. Don't know if they'll add me as it
is a personal site that's about a lot more than Fireworks or
Macromedia/Adobe technologies but we'll see ;-)

--
Stéphane Bergeron

Robert E Boughner

Feb 7, 2006, 4:59:57 PM2/7/06

Danielle,

Thank you for this positive feedback on the direction that Adobe plans
to take Fireworks. It is a welcome relief to those of us that use
Fireworks in our daily lives. Who can be contacted about Dreamweaver
and its future?

Bob

hexplor

Feb 8, 2006, 3:34:37 AM2/8/06
Originally posted by: danielle_beaumont
To the Forum ?

That's a fantastic and great news. I can't wait for more fantastic news :)

Stéphane Bergeron

Feb 8, 2006, 12:20:45 PM2/8/06
senocular wrote:
> St?phane, are you on MXNA?

Hey Trevor,

I just got a suprise whn opening FeedDemon and checking my new feeds
this morning... ;-) Thank you very much for kindly posting about my
article on your site. It is very much appreciated!

Maybe if we all push hard enough, not only will Fireworks keep living as
a stand alone mature graphics application but it will be properly
marketed at last...

Thanks again!

--
Stéphane Bergeron

abeall

Feb 8, 2006, 8:42:59 PM2/8/06
Danielle -

Thank-you for the feedback on the public forums! That is a real treat.

I realize you didn't actually ask for volunteers, but I would love to be a
beta tester if possible.

We'll see how things go(eternal pessimist!), but I'm excited!

Dave Story

Feb 9, 2006, 1:00:36 PM2/9/06
Glad to see all the passion around this product. I think Fireworks is a great
addition to the Adobe product line, and plays an important part in many
workflows for our customers.

It turns out many of the doomsayers were wrong when they forecast the end of
Fireworks.

At Adobe, we try really hard to do the right thing by all of our constituents:
customers, employees, shareholders, and the communities we work in. I'm sure
you can appreciate how hard that is at times. But it gets simplified when we
follow one of our key values, which is simply "Treat each constituent the way
you would like to be treated yourself." It's not a new value, by any means,
but it's amazing how much new-ness it brings to your decision making when you
use it.

So thanks for the passion, the commitment, and the patience. There's a lot of
passion and excitement inside our company about the combined strengths we now
have.

If you'll have a bit more patience -- or a lot more, depending on your
perspective :) -- we hope to do some cool things for you during the next
release cycle.

SKB

Feb 9, 2006, 1:10:27 PM2/9/06

Danielle,
The users in the Freehand forum could use this same kind of contact from
Adobe.

SKB

Linda Rathgeber

Feb 9, 2006, 2:20:01 PM2/9/06
Thanks for the additional info, Dave. I'm looking forward an interesting
future for Fireworks!

DoohanOK

Feb 14, 2006, 12:41:13 AM2/14/06
Woo hoo! I have Fireworks 8, Photoshop CS2 and ImageReady CS2.

I rarely use the latter too and love Fireworks!!!

designdog

Feb 14, 2006, 2:11:41 PM2/14/06
Here is one opinion of a route Adobe should take. Don't dump Fireworks, dump
ImageReady, which was developed solely as a competitor to Fireworks! You have
been slowly incorporating IR into Photoshop anyway - the result being unsightly
bloat.

No, take all of the web stuff out of PS and put in FW. Take all of the best
from IR and put it in FW. Take all of the image stuff out of FW and dump IR.

Here is your new lineup (ex video, which I don't do):
vectors - Illustrator
pixels - Photoshop
print - InDesign
web graphics: Fireworks
web layout: Dreamweaver
motion - Flash
distribution - Acrobat

There you have it.

-ddog

Linda Rathgeber

Feb 14, 2006, 3:00:25 PM2/14/06
designdog wrote:

> No, take all of the web stuff out of PS and put in FW. Take all of the best
> from IR and put it in FW. Take all of the image stuff out of FW and dump IR.

There's nothing in IR that Fireworks would benefit from, IMHO. :-)

designdog

Feb 14, 2006, 3:37:02 PM2/14/06
Linda:

Soooo right!!! You know, you guys are just about the only people out there who
have put forth tutorials on Fireworks (albiet you have to buy the product to
get them!)

I just received "Fireworks 8 Training from the Source" which is a pretty thin
"update" of the previous issue. There is very little documentation on FW...

-ddog

senocular

Feb 14, 2006, 3:35:43 PM2/14/06
For me the separation of frames and states is a big one :D

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User

A l e x M a r i ñ o

Feb 14, 2006, 3:47:06 PM2/14/06
File > Exit ?

:)

Jim Babbage

Feb 14, 2006, 4:59:34 PM2/14/06
Excellent article, Stéphane!

--
Jim Babbage - .:CMX:. & .:TMM:.
Extending Knowledge, Daily

Jim Babbage

Feb 14, 2006, 4:58:56 PM2/14/06
Linda Rathgeber wrote:

> Donna Casey wrote:
>
>> Thanks for that information and good news. If you need alpha/beta test
>> participants, I'll volunteer. I have lots of experience and would love
>> to participate.
>

> Raising hand and jumping up and down, "Me too! Me too!"

Me three!

Alan Musselman

Feb 14, 2006, 5:15:46 PM2/14/06
Hey all,

Concerning the Fireworks Beta Program, please send me an email at
amuss...@adobe.com in case you are interested in actively participating in
the Beta to make Fireworks the best it can be going forward.

I believe everyone here is aware of my opinions about the future of Fireworks.
:D

Stéphane Bergeron

Feb 14, 2006, 8:41:41 PM2/14/06

Pick me!! Pick me!!

;-)

--
Stéphane Bergeron
reach:connect:communicate

www.webfocusdesign.com
blog:tutorials:articles:gallery
www.pixelyzed.com

sebz2005

Feb 16, 2006, 4:36:12 AM2/16/06
Concerning the Fireworks Beta Program, please send me an email at ...
I've sent you an email. :)

Thanks in advance.

soa...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2006, 3:33:17 PM2/16/06
Me four.
When are the beta testings to start?

soa...@yahoo.com

men...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2006, 11:08:58 PM2/23/06

Marje

Mar 12, 2006, 5:55:56 AM3/12/06
:cool; I am a HUGE fan of PhotoShop ... have been using it daily for 10 or more
years. Could not make it through a day without PhotoShop.

However, for web work Fireworks is far far superior. And had Adobe dropped FW,
I would have continued to use it. FW is simply too valuable a tool for us web
developers. I an THRILLED to know that FW will go on.

My suggestions would be

1. Education: put out more tutorials, tech notes, seminars, online courses,
DVDs about Fireworks. People can easily access info about PhotoShop ... not so
easy for Fireworks.

2. Somehow, make the superb image-editing functionalities of PhotoShop
available through Fireworks.

3. Continue the close association of DW, FW, an Flash. That is the sweet spot.

Jim Babbage

Mar 12, 2006, 11:39:10 AM3/12/06
There are many places to find FW tutorials. The Macromedia (now Adobe)
site has many articles and tutorials, as does Communitymx.com,
Projectvii.com, Fireworkszone.com, playingwithfire.com, senocular.com
and many others.

--
Jim Babbage - .:CMX:. & .:ACE*:.

Extending Knowledge, Daily
http://www.communityMX.com/
CommunityMX - Free Resources:
http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm

---
.:*Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.

vijayant_pandit

Mar 12, 2006, 3:01:44 PM3/12/06
Hi Folks,
I'm new so let me introduce myself My name is vijayant Pandit
www.vijayantpandit.com and occupation is Information Architect(new media).. so
i wanna comment on this thread taht

:: Fireworks is NEVER gonna die in any and every case..in no case u ppl should
compare Fireworks to Macromedia Xres or Drumbeat which are now abondonware( yet
powerful tools) ,, once upon a time i loved working on photoshop but i still
remember it was fireworks 3 when i first encountered the beautiful tool
accidently installed on my pc .. eversince i knew this fact for sure that this
is going to be doom day generator for photoshop,,and blv me pals im no wrong
,,i admire fireworks and will kep on ..no matter how powerful photoshop grow
but i tell ya fireworks broke the ground on those levels where adobe never even
thought off.. remember macromedia rulez and its gonna be the very same in
future,, BTW im not at all happy by acuisition of macromedia by adobe.. i
hated this when i came to now ,, but i can only say i hated thrs nothin i can
do
Text:evil;:frown;:gift;:heart;:light;:lips;:|:moon;:music;:rose;:(:Q:):sun;:P:wi
ne;;):wine;:P:sun;:):Q:(:rose;:music;:moon;:|:lips;:light;:heart;:gift;:frown;:e
vil;:o:disgust;:cool;:confused;:clock;:camera;:brokenheart;:D

vijayant_pandit

Mar 12, 2006, 3:18:36 PM3/12/06
FORGET IT PPL.. I WONDER HOW YOU GUYS CAN EVEN SAY THAT,ITS NOT BCOZ I LOVE
FIREWORKS BUT ITS BCOZ FIREWORKS IS UNIQUE TOOL IN MANY RESPECTS THAT MAKES IT
ABOVE THE REST BE IT ULEAD TOOLS OR ADOBE TOOLS ..NOTHIN COMPARES FIREWORKS
FIREWORKS RULEZ PPL SO STOP THINKING NEGETIVE

Clyde66

Mar 22, 2006, 4:45:36 AM3/22/06
Whats the difference with Photoshop and fireworks???Coz i think photoshop is better???

http://submityourarticlesnow.com/article25870.html

hexplor

Mar 22, 2006, 5:17:59 AM3/22/06
Originally posted by: Clyde66

Whats the difference with Photoshop and fireworks???Coz i think photoshop is
better???

http://submityourarticlesnow.com/article25870.html

It's a such a dumb question...

Stéphane Bergeron

Mar 22, 2006, 7:33:45 AM3/22/06
Clyde66 wrote:
> Whats the difference with Photoshop and fireworks???Coz i think photoshop is better???

Not for Web design and layout work it's not...

Marje

Mar 22, 2006, 8:07:32 AM3/22/06
Photoshop was originally created for print work. It is a fantastic megatool
with unbelievable image editing capabilities. It is essential in my life when I
am editing photographs and creating montages/collages.

Fireworks was designed only for the web. Its creators zoomed in on the
functionalities that web designers need. It is a powerful vector and raster
tool and as such an excellent web page layout program. It is far superior to
Photoshop in this regard ... it is easier, faster , more elegant, and geared
specifically to web page layout . It is essential in my life when I sit down to
create initial mockups of web sites.

We need both and they are equally valuable. I am thrilled that Fireworks will
go on!

Anyone who lays out pages ought to give Fireworks a try. I got an excellent
introduction to the program when I took the HWG.org course taught by Stephane
Richer. I can't recommend it highly enough. In fact, I'll likely be taking that
course again this year, to bring myself up to speed on Fireworks 8. And, for
anyone working in Flash, you already know how well the two program work
together.

Uncleclinto!

Jun 22, 2006, 10:50:39 AM6/22/06
amen

Marje

Sep 16, 2006, 8:28:10 AM9/16/06
They are saying now that the next release of Macromedia .... oooops Adobe ....
Contribute will be available in early October. That's just a month away.

Is there a date for the next release of Fireworks? even just "ballpark"

Linda Rathgeber **Adobe Community Expert**

Sep 16, 2006, 12:04:51 PM9/16/06

Anyone who knows can't tell you. Anyone who tells you, doesn't know. :-)

--
Linda Rathgeber [PVII] **Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks**

A l e x M a r i ñ o

Sep 16, 2006, 12:17:10 PM9/16/06
that sounds like the story of my life!

Linda Rathgeber **Adobe Community Expert**

Sep 16, 2006, 12:21:17 PM9/16/06
A l e x M a r i ń o wrote:
> that sounds like the story of my life!

I've always thought you were an interesting person, Alex. :-)

Murray *ACE*

Sep 16, 2006, 1:32:43 PM9/16/06
You don't know the half of it. He's only half interesting.

--
Murray --- ICQ 71997575
Adobe Community Expert

"Linda Rathgeber **Adobe Community Expert**" <lig...@sc.rr.com> wrote in
message news:eeh863$9ok$1...@forums.macromedia.com...

A l e x M a r i ñ o

Sep 16, 2006, 4:15:17 PM9/16/06
|-

Murray *ACE*

Sep 16, 2006, 4:36:39 PM9/16/06
?

--
Murray --- ICQ 71997575
Adobe Community Expert

"A l e x M a r i ñ o" <alSeP...@mt.net> wrote in message

A l e x M a r i ñ o

Sep 16, 2006, 5:24:07 PM9/16/06
my feeble attempt at half a smiley face ... :)

Murray *ACE* wrote:
> ?

Linda Rathgeber **Adobe Community Expert**

Sep 16, 2006, 6:20:30 PM9/16/06
Murray *ACE* wrote:
> You don't know the half of it. He's only half interesting.

Which half?

A l e x M a r i ñ o

Sep 16, 2006, 11:02:28 PM9/16/06
the eviel half

Murray *ACE*

Sep 17, 2006, 9:24:29 AM9/17/06
It was supposed to be something other than a question mark, but it doesn't
render properly.... 8)

--
Murray --- ICQ 71997575
Adobe Community Expert

"A l e x M a r i ñ o" <alSeP...@mt.net> wrote in message

Murray *ACE*

Sep 17, 2006, 9:24:43 AM9/17/06
This half here <pointing>.

--
Murray --- ICQ 71997575
Adobe Community Expert

"Linda Rathgeber **Adobe Community Expert**" <lig...@sc.rr.com> wrote in

message news:eeht7j$2r5$1...@forums.macromedia.com...

Katsuey

Sep 17, 2006, 12:57:16 PM9/17/06
> the eviel half

Both halves are evil!

joyguru

Jul 21, 2007, 4:44:13 PM7/21/07
I have installed Fireworks CS3 but as soon i strat the aplication ir crashes :(
I am using vista...
Anyone else facing the same problem?

deebs

Jul 22, 2007, 1:54:09 PM7/22/07