Director 6

oreolee

Jun 24, 2005, 6:53:04 PM6/24/05
Director 6 has worked smoothly when my op sys was win98. I have upgraded to
win XP pro and I am having the virtual memory problems at start up. At program
startup in Director 6, I am prompted for at least 10mb of virtual memory and
the program won't load. My thinkpad has 1gb of ram.

Sean Wilson

Jun 24, 2005, 11:10:48 PM6/24/05
Director 6 isn't supported under WinXP. Version 8.5.1 was the first
version to officially support Windows XP.
It *may* work if you select the executable, check its properties, go to
the Compatibility tab and check the "Compatibility mode" box. Try it and
see (or upgrade...)

JB

Jun 25, 2005, 4:38:31 AM6/25/05
Here's someone's note regarding running old projectors on window XP, may
not related to athoring environment

--------------

ou can change your global virtual memory settings, but you might not
want to
apply that kludge just just to fix one app.

Here is a solution that just fakes the virtual memory settings for the
affected application. Your global virtual memory settings will be
totally
unafected (which is desirable on a modern system with modern resource
hungry
apps)

1. Download and Install "Microsoft Windows Application Compatibility
Toolkit
3.0" or later from the downloads section of microsoft web site. (free
download)

2. Launch the "compatibility Administrator Tool". This program can be a
little
bit daunting to use at first, but after a quick browse through the help,
you
should find it quite simple to undersatnd.

3. Create a new custom database, and then right click on it, select
"create
new" -> "application fix". Type in a name for the fix then browse to
your copy
of the affected progam.

4. For the "Compatibility Modes" screen select "operating system modes"
=
"None", click next

5. On the "compatibility fixes" screen, scroll down and tick the option
"GlobalStatusMemoryLie" This will cause a fake small virtual memory size
to be
reported to the affected progam.

6. Click on "Test Run" Hopefully your program should now run

7. To permanently install the fix, install your custom database into
the
system registry by right clicking on it, and selecting "Install"

(I used this technique to run the 1997 title "Byron Preiss Scientific
American Library: Illusion CD-ROM" under win XP which was developed
using
director 6.5.
I originally had the 3MB virtual memory error problem, as my machine
has 1Gb
of physical RAM.) Now it is fixed.