ColdFusion 8 Install/Config Problems

Nordiam

Oct 25, 2007, 1:17:07 PM10/25/07
I would love to know if it is possible for a ColdFusion developer to speak with
Adobe tech support for free, I remember Sarge at a conference saying this was
possible? I'm no stranger to configuring JRun, but I'm totally lost.

After completely uninstalling CF7, I tried installing CF8 (single instance) to
run through IIS 7 on Vista Ultimate. At the end of the install, it fails to
configure the web connectors, stating that the port (51020) may be blocked by
firewall, etc.

I can get to the actual JRun web service in a browser (and .cfm files work),
but I couldn't get the connector working. In jrun.xml, I've tried setting
deactivated to false in jrun.xml for JRunProxyService, and changing the ports
for the proxy (and also the JRun Naming Service, and the JRun Web Server)...
numerous times... all to no avail.

I have verified through port scans that all the above ports are open and
listening (many port changes and CF service restarts). I have even tried
specifying the starting port and number of ports from the command line, as in
-DWSConfig.PortScanStartPort=startport -DWSConfig.PortScanCount=portrange, etc.

No matter what I do, the web server configuration tool tells me that it,
"Could not connect to any JRun/ColdFusion servers on host localhost"... but I
can connect through the JRun web server port.

I have tried all this by uninstalling and reinstalling CF8 without firewall or
anti-virus software as well.

I decided that I could live without IIS 7, but I would have to install
multi-instance, so I completely uninstalled and reinstalled ColdFusion 8 and
set it to run on the internal development server...

Almost there? Now when I try and create a new server instance, I get an error
that I've never seen before, and apparently Google and Yahoo haven't either...

Can't find resource key "AddTag.NoAdminServiceOnHost" in base name
jrunx/jmc/management/tags/resource.properties

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated? Can I call Adobe?

Nordiam

Oct 25, 2007, 1:33:17 PM10/25/07
It looks like my hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc) has a strange entry in it for localhost. doh. I'm going to clear it out and try reinstalling CF8.

ukb kumar

Oct 26, 2007, 2:34:26 AM10/26/07
Dont uninstall and try to check the hosts file for your windows. Check in that the entry given below:-
127.0.0.1 localhost
Put this entry and restart the windows and then try to access things.

Nordiam

Oct 26, 2007, 2:46:28 AM10/26/07
I tried everything in the hosts file, that wasn't the problem either.

I just wiped everything, reinstalled vista, cf8, etc. ... all is working fine.

ksmith

Oct 26, 2007, 3:45:22 PM10/26/07
A co-worker is about to publish a technote that discusses the webserver
connector issue with Vista. The solution is to install CF8 using the internal
webserver only, during the installation. Once installed configure IIS, or any
webserver using coldfusion8\runtime\bin\wsconfig.exe. But run wsconfig.exe by
right-mouse-button clicking and selecting "run as admin". This will do the
correct installation. This should work for a multi-server installation also.

Nordiam

Oct 26, 2007, 4:23:09 PM10/26/07
Ken,

Thanks for the post... I'd be interested to see if that works, and what others
experience. Everything I tried was either a right-click and, "run as
administrator" or at an elevated cmd prompt.

When you run the CF8 installer, even if run as administrator, it's still only
the file extractor. Perhaps parts of the CF8 installer don't have the correct
permissions? Just a thought.

Thanks again

Nordiam

Nov 29, 2007, 6:10:36 PM11/29/07
Is that technote on installing on Vista with IIS7 out yet. I'm installing CF8 on another machine, and I'm having the same problem. The advice in your last post is not working.

Thanks

tazzydemon2

Nov 29, 2007, 10:57:31 PM11/29/07
VISTA FIX!!! I hope...

I too tried to intall CF8 on Vista Business with IIS7. It failed many times,
unable to build the connectors. Many users have reported similar problems with
no real solutions. In my case I discovered the jrun server would never start
thus preventing the installation of connectors.

Fix: The c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file has a bizarre entry:

::1 localhost

Comment it out using notepad run as administrator like so.

#::1 localhost

Reinstall. Done.

Nordiam

Nov 30, 2007, 2:52:19 AM11/30/07
Tried commenting out the IPv6 address ( ::1 ) and reinstalling.... still can't connect to JRun and get IIS going.

All this is with User Account Control turned off.

getting desperate

ksmith

Nov 30, 2007, 8:04:01 AM11/30/07
Make sure you hosts file does have the IPv4 address, "127.0.0.1 localhost".
Make sure you run the installer as admin. Turn of security - virusscan and
firewall during the installation. Remove ethernet connection temporarilly if
you have security concerns.

If it continues to fail, give us the failure messages. What is in the install
log?

Licensed installations of ColdFusion have free installation support.

The technote http://www.adobe.com/go/kb402192 is published. But, it does not
give much information beyond what is in this thread.

ksmith

Nov 30, 2007, 8:08:07 AM11/30/07
Nordiam,
Is your Vista installation 64-bit? ColdFusion 8 does not support 64 bit
windows, currently. ColdFusion 8.1 will support it. CF8.1 is currently in
public alpha testing, with the beta expected to start in about a month.

Nordiam

Nov 30, 2007, 12:37:22 PM11/30/07
I do have the localhost IPv4 address in hosts (as the only entry), and I have
disabled all firewall and anti-virus software each time. I have tried with User
Account Control ON and OFF. I have also tried with a startup items disabled. I
have not tried going through and disabling services.

There are no other errors in the install log, other than the ones I listed
when starting this thread a month ago.

If I install with the option to configure IIS, I get:
...port (51020) may be blocked by firewall, etc....

If I use the internal web server and then try the connector tool, I get...

Could not connect to any JRun/ColdFusion servers on host localhost

What's strange is that when using NetStat, a browser, and the log files, I can
see that everything is there and listening.

On one system that was having the problem, I reformatted and reinstalled CF8
first thing, and it worked fine... which leads me to believe that it must be
some sort of 3rd party port/application conflict?

Could that be the case?

Nordiam

Nov 30, 2007, 12:40:21 PM11/30/07
32-bit Windows Vista Ultimate

rbe...@raincrossfinancial.com

Dec 5, 2007, 12:48:36 AM12/5/07

I too, just received the same error trying to install CF8 on Vista
Premium. I have disabled all firewalls (norton) including windows
generic firewall and I still get the same error that port 51020 is
blocked! I think this is an Adobe guess more than a certainty. I have
done three installs after uninstalling and doing a registry clean
sweep. and I just can't get past this error. I had better luck running
CF7 except for the RDO errors. I'm seriously thinking of just
partioning my hard drive and installing XP on it but I think I'll try
installing cf8 on my apache server and see if it works...had a similar
problem with PHP and once I put it on Apache I never had another
issue, open source...go figure? Gotta love Capitalism, never mind if
it works correctly just get it out on the store shelf. I'll let you
know what happens.