CFCHART Image Expired CF7

t0ad 99

Feb 17, 2005, 5:18:57 PM2/17/05
I have a script that will generate 7 Charts. If I run 10 days worth of data
all the charts appear fine.(usually) 10 days of data proc time =21157 ms If i
run 31 days of data, generally the first few charts will not appear, an error
will take there place 'Image Expired Please Refresh the page to view the image'
sometimes a couple charts will come out okay (the charts closer to the end of
the script. I've looked online to find some extra info, But i only see this
instance with clustered instances of CF. I set the charting options in CF
admin to 100 images and 5 charting threads. I don't understand why i'm getting
this image expired. thanks todd

t0ad 99

Feb 18, 2005, 11:13:53 AM2/18/05
-bump-

does anyone over at macromedia know why this is happening?

t0ad 99

Feb 18, 2005, 3:14:37 PM2/18/05
I'm wondering if this maybe a resource issue on the cpu I installed CF7 on. So
i'm attempting to install CF& trial on another server to see if this is any
better. I'll post an update as soon as i find some more info. thanks

t0ad 99

Feb 18, 2005, 4:12:13 PM2/18/05
same thing on a different server... i'm stumped... why would these Chart images expire? :frown;

soonersak

Feb 18, 2005, 11:56:08 PM2/18/05
I don't think this is a CF7 issue. This also happens in CF6.1

kyle969

May 16, 2005, 9:34:12 AM5/16/05
BUMP ..... I am having the same issue

Greg Campbell

May 17, 2005, 3:54:43 PM5/17/05
For me this is a serious issue.
While CF6 sometime would expire the charts, I sometimes could print 8 or 10
charts in 10 pages.
Now with the the new CF7 charting engine, whoop-te-doo, I don't get my
charts, if the report is more than a single chart or two in a total of a couple
of pages.

I have explored the CF Admin settings for Charting and Cache and Memory
variables, to no avail.

Really, this appears to me to be a serious product weakness.

:|

t0ad 99

May 18, 2005, 10:12:26 AM5/18/05
I was able to get in contact with someone from macromedia about this.

There is an XML file called webcharts3d located in the \CFusionMX7\lib folder.
back it up and replace it with the one found on this link.

http://swimmingturtle.com/cfdev/webcharts3d.xml

I'm hosting this file on my personal server. fixed the problem for me on the
developers version of CF7 I have been working on.

Thanks,

todd

Greg Campbell

May 18, 2005, 11:54:08 AM5/18/05
Thanks Todd,
It makes my day to find a solution.

I noticed I pulled this webcharts3D.xml from swimmingturtle.com.
I found in the Advanced techniques for a link to
chart.ziphttp://www.macromedia.com/go/e6a6dd7a
It contains the macromedia published update of webcharts3D.xml. Do you know if
it is the same or has someone made a custom xml to address the problem.

kyle969

May 18, 2005, 5:02:14 PM5/18/05
Thanks t0ad, that helped solve the current issue, but it seems somewhat of a
hack.

I am trying to convince the 'powers that be' that we should upgrade to CF7
and stick with Macromedia/Adobe, but we have many applications that use charts
and this has become an issue against my goal. There needs to be a setting,
either in administrator or preferrably in the cfchart tag that determines when
the chart expires.

t0ad 99

May 18, 2005, 5:26:59 PM5/18/05
There are options in the admin that determine chart time out. But for whatever
reason it wasn't working until this xml file was replaced.

We were going to go w/ Corda's Popchart application - But Ben Forta dropped by
our Company to go over CF7 a few weeks before it was in production. There
graphing capabilites had improved dramatically since mx 6. I'm happy w/ the CF7
charting in comparison to Corda's product. So I urged our group to upgrade our
CF server instead..

I'm pleased with the product now that most of my buggs have been worked out.

My next bug fix is for CF7's cfgrid Flash function to have hyperlinks on a by
cell/row basis not by row.. oh yeah and to get a job over at macromedia/adobe..
that would be fun ;) hint hint!!

thanks,

todd

Greg Campbell

May 18, 2005, 6:08:21 PM5/18/05
It looks like there are a number of issues around charts. I scanned the
webcharts3D.xml for differences and decided to implement the version from
chart.zip at http://www.macromedia.com/go/e6a6dd7a and in the webcharts3D.xml.
Once I extracted files from the zip, I just bumped the minTimeout and
MaxTimeout to 50000 and 300000 respectively on the opening server tag.

I do not see any parameter that effectively manipulate the chart cache timeout
in CF Administrator or on the tags.

Magnus_The_Great

Jun 20, 2005, 5:16:27 PM6/20/05
~bump~ This updated webcharts3D.xml has been updated, however, I am having the same issue as abovce and it still did not correct it. Any other options?

prayank

Jul 7, 2005, 7:46:26 AM7/7/05
hey guys have a look at the solution for this problem here:
http://cfchart.blogspot.com/2005/06/image-expired-trouble.html

Magnus_The_Great

Jul 7, 2005, 10:05:21 AM7/7/05
that did work for me, however, I had to change it much higher to 500000, 30000000

ksynergy

Sep 19, 2005, 11:08:04 AM9/19/05
I am having problems with cfchart displaying the message "Image expired" on
pages that use cfchart for display of bar charts. While the chart may appear on
the web page itself, attempts to print the page (required as the pages are
reports that need to be mailed), produce the image expired message. The CF
hosting service I use says they have tried the various fixes suggested here.
None have solved the problem completely. Strangely, the problem appears to
occur for only some. While that suggests it's not a CF problem, those who have
the problem are often using systems and browsers no different from those who
don't report the problem.

I'm at the end of the rope here trying to figure out why this is happening and
how to fix it. I can get rid of the problem if I use the old cfgraph tag, but
it produces very bad looking charts compared with cfchart when running CFMX 7.

Are there any new solutions or new explanations for why this happens? I need
to fix the problem for those who experience it since the reports are crucial to
their business and mine.

t0ad 99

Sep 19, 2005, 11:52:27 AM9/19/05
You may have already tried this, But other than replacing the XML I posted
earlier, I did the following.

Use only PNG Format for graphs.
Server Settings -> Charting ->
- Cache Type = Memory
- Maximum # of cached images = 250
- Maximum number of charting threads = 5

I Have a report that generates 37 graphs at 1024x768 - The Browser uses it
about 350+megs of mem to generate the Report, then I convert the document into
a 3.4meg PDF. I have foud problems using IE to convert the report to PDF, so I
use firefox w/ no problems when I excute the script via a webbrowser.

I also simplified my Datasource, so the queries I run are against tables have
absoulte Answers, rather than querying the raw data tables for various data
outputs per report.

good luck,

todd