Another CFImage bug

hans blix

Apr 17, 2008, 3:17:01 PM4/17/08
Second cfImage bug I've found in a week. Tried reporting it to Adobe, but their
bug report form throws a 404 (nice).

Basically, certain JPGs will cause CF (or more specifically, Java) to throw
this error after reading them to memory, then writing it to disk:
Missing Huffman code table entry
javax.imageio.IIOException: Missing Huffman code table entry at
com.sun.imageio.plugins.jpeg.JPEGImageWriter.writeImage(Native Method) at
com.sun.imageio.plugins.jpeg.JPEGImageWriter.write(JPEGImageWriter.java:996) at
coldfusion.image.ImageWriter.writeJPeg(ImageWriter.java:60) at
coldfusion.image.ImageWriter.writeImage(ImageWriter.java:119) at
coldfusion.image.Image.write(Image.java:578) at
coldfusion.tagext.io.ImageTag.performWrite(ImageTag.java:593) at
coldfusion.tagext.io.ImageTag.doStartTag(ImageTag.java:500)

Run the attached code with the image found here:
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/9549/testimagefk9.jpg

If you put the URL into the cfimage source (instead of downloading the image
and reading it locally) you get a different error:
coldfusion.image.Image$ReadImageMetadataException: Exception occured in JPG
processing.
segment size would extend beyond file stream length
at coldfusion.image.Image.initializeMetadata(Image.java:2403)
at coldfusion.image.Image.getExifMetadata(Image.java:2415)
at coldfusion.image.Image.write(Image.java:577)
at coldfusion.tagext.io.ImageTag.performWrite(ImageTag.java:593)
at coldfusion.tagext.io.ImageTag.doStartTag(ImageTag.java:500)

Verified on Win2K, Win2K3, and WinXP. CF version 8.0.1.

<cfimage action="read" source="testimagefk9.jpg" name="myImage"/>
<cfset newImageName = "#createUUID()#.jpg"/>
<cfimage action="write" destination="#newImageName#" source="#myImage#"/>

-==cfSearching==-

Apr 19, 2008, 4:16:15 PM4/19/08
Did you encounter this problem with 8.0.0? What JVM version are you using? I
tested the code using both the url and a local file and both work without error
under:

O/S: XP SP2
CF: 8,0,0,176276
JVM: 1.6.0_01

[i]Tried reporting it to Adobe, but their bug report form throws a 404
(nice).[/i]
On submit? The form displays correctly for me.
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Adam Cameron

Apr 19, 2008, 5:09:24 PM4/19/08
> Did you encounter this problem with 8.0.0? What JVM version are you using? I
> tested the code using both the url and a local file and both work without error
> under:
>
> O/S: XP SP2
> CF: 8,0,0,176276
> JVM: 1.6.0_01

Works fine for me too (same config as per yours above).

--
Adam

-==cfSearching==-

Apr 20, 2008, 7:43:28 PM4/20/08
After applying updater 1, I received the two errors you posted above.

O/S: XP SP2
CF: 8,0,1,195765
JVM: 1.6.0_04

Reverting to JVM 1.6.0_01-b06 had no effect on the error. I rolled back to CF
8.0.0 and the errors went away. That does seem to support the theory it is not
or not solely a jvm problem. Out of curiosity, is there anything special about
these images or do they all have something in common?

Using ImageIO to write the images, instead of cfimage, seems to work with
8.0.1.

<cfscript>
newImageName = createUUID() & ".jpg";
outFile = createObject("java", "java.io.File").init( ExpandPath(newImageName)
);
bi = ImageGetBufferedImage(myImage);
ImageIO = createObject("java", "javax.imageio.ImageIO");
ImageIO.write( bi, "jpeg", outFile );
</cfscript>

sand...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2008, 1:39:04 PM4/21/08
I am getting the same issue. Let me know if you have any lucking
finding a solution.

hans blix

Apr 22, 2008, 11:43:54 AM4/22/08
Nothing special about the image that I know of. It was uploaded by one of our
users. We get about one image a day that causes this error.

I tried upgrading to JVM 1.6.0_06 but still have the problem.

Interesting that imageIO works when you invoke it directly. The error being
generated comes from that class when using the cfimage tag:

javax.imageio.IIOException: Missing Huffman code table entry at
com.sun.imageio.plugins.jpeg.JPEGImageWriter.writeImage(Native Method) at
com.sun.imageio.plugins.jpeg.JPEGImageWriter.write(JPEGImageWriter.java:996) at
coldfusion.image.ImageWriter.writeJPeg(ImageWriter.java:60) at
coldfusion.image.ImageWriter.writeImage(ImageWriter.java:119) at
coldfusion.image.Image.write(Image.java:578) at
coldfusion.tagext.io.ImageTag.performWrite(ImageTag.java:593)

It seems to point to a bug in the implementation of CFImage.

DefconRhall

Apr 23, 2008, 3:01:57 AM4/23/08
Now that I have worked around the image lock issue I am running into this issue
now as well.

Is there anyway to fix it and perform a resize.

Our customer is in a shared hosted environment and as a result we cannot
change any CF settings to override how CFImage works.

hans blix

Apr 23, 2008, 6:51:40 AM4/23/08
Try the method that cfSearching proposed above. Let us know if it fixes the problem for you.

Also, report the bug to Adobe. The more reports the better.

-==cfSearching==-

Apr 23, 2008, 9:40:57 PM4/23/08
@hans blix,

Yes I did notice the error is from the same package. However, the calling
method is from com.sun.imageio.plugins. While I do not know about the internals
of either class, since one works for me and the other does not I can only
assume cfimage's method of writing out images is different than ImageIO.write.

My guess is the resize/write problem mentioned your other thread is a bug.
This exception may be a bug as well. However, I am not familiar with image
compression and decoding. So it may still be a problem with the image files
themselves. Though I suspect not.

@DefconRhall,

Try the code snippet above. It should work with 8.0.1. You could use it to
replace the cfimage call, or call it if a: "javax.imageio.IIOException: Missing
Huffman code table entry" exception is thrown.

DefconRhall

Apr 24, 2008, 1:36:07 AM4/24/08
I always like to try and understand code a bit before I implement it..

If I understand that snipet of code I basically want to use it to load up the
file I just uploaded, have it save the image on top of itself, and then run the
cfimage to do the resize?

Thanks,

PS: Looks like the locking bug with CFImage has been addressed by Adobe

-==cfSearching==-

Apr 24, 2008, 8:35:41 AM4/24/08
@DefconRhall,

Thanks for mentioning the patch for the CF8 image resizing issue.

This error seems to be caused by <cfimage action="write" ..>. So the code
snippet above would only replace the write action. You would first resize your
image as usual, then use the snippet above to save the resized image to disk.

<cfscript>
newImageName = createUUID() & ".jpg";

// create a file object representing the path to the saved image

outFile = createObject("java", "java.io.File").init( ExpandPath(newImageName)
);

// extract the underlying BufferedImage from your CF image object
bi = ImageGetBufferedImage(myImage);

ImageIO = createObject("java", "javax.imageio.ImageIO");

// use ImageIO (instead of cfimage) to physically save the image to disk

DefconRhall

Apr 27, 2008, 9:41:24 PM4/27/08
What is odd is it seems to work perfectly fine when I resize the image to like
100x100, however the next line afterwards I resize to like 640x480 and it
bombs...

I'll try re-reading the image file before doing the second resize and post the
result.

Also by image object I take it you mean the return variable from the cfimage
tag.

DefconRhall

Apr 27, 2008, 9:57:21 PM4/27/08
Well... that just made me look like an idiot, it failed this time on the first try...

I'll try the image object thing it seems I don't have a choice.

-==cfSearching==-

Apr 27, 2008, 10:01:21 PM4/27/08
DefconRhall wrote:
[i]Also by image object I take it you mean the return variable from the cfimage tag.[/i]

Yes.

DefconRhall

Apr 27, 2008, 10:41:35 PM4/27/08
Not sure why this doesn't work, so I'll post it here.

It gives me " The system has attempted to use an undefined value, which
usually indicates a programming error, either in your code or some system code."

In reference to the line: "ImageIO.write( bi, "jpeg", outFile );"

The bi is defined and so is outfile so what the heck doesn't it like?

<cfscript>

TestImg=ImageNew("#ProdTempPath & cffile.serverfile#");
ImageResize(TestImg,ThumbWidth,ThumbHeight);

outFile = createObject("java", "java.io.File").init(

ExpandPath(GetProduct.ThumbNailPhysPath) );

// extract the underlying BufferedImage from your CF image object

bi = ImageGetBufferedImage(TestImg);

-==cfSearching==-

Apr 27, 2008, 10:58:29 PM4/27/08
It works perfectly for me.

<cfscript>
// sample values for test script
ThumbWidth = 50;
ThumbHeight = 50;
GetProduct.ThumbNailPhysPath = "SavedFile.jpg";
TestImg=ImageNew(ExpandPath("MyTestImage.jpg"));

ImageResize(TestImg,ThumbWidth,ThumbHeight);
outFile = createObject("java", "java.io.File").init(
ExpandPath(GetProduct.ThumbNailPhysPath) );

// extract the underlying BufferedImage from your CF image object
bi = ImageGetBufferedImage(TestImg);

ImageIO = createObject("java", "javax.imageio.ImageIO");
// use ImageIO (instead of cfimage) to physically save the image to disk
ImageIO.write( bi, "jpeg", outFile );
</cfscript>

Dumb question, but are you sure the error is really on that line? If you
comment it out does the code work? Also I assume you did an IsDefined on both
variables: "bi" and "outFile"?

DefconRhall

Apr 27, 2008, 11:05:48 PM4/27/08
Yep, if I drop that line it works fine.

Both ImageIO and bi are defined

Maybe the host's servers are messed up and need a reboot?

-==cfSearching==-

Apr 27, 2008, 11:16:58 PM4/27/08
[i]Both ImageIO and bi are defined[/i]
What about "outFile"? Also what results do you get if you run this code
before the ImageIO.write?

<cfdump var="#bi.getClass().getName()#" label="Variable bi class name"><br>
<cfdump var="#outFile.getClass().getName()#" label="Variable outFile class
name"><br>
<cfdump var="#bi.getWidth()#x#bi.getHeight()#" label="BufferedImage width x
height"><br>
<cfdump var="#outFile.getAbsolutePath()#" label="OutFile Path">

Without seeing the full error, my guess would be the same as yours: one of the
two variables is not defined for some reason. Can you post the full error
message and stack trace?

DefconRhall

Apr 27, 2008, 11:44:00 PM4/27/08
AH HA!

It caught me! With crazy file pathing...

The expandpath was adding the current directory to my full qualified path,
thus resulting in "bad mojo".

Chalk this up to me forgetting about the ExpandPath in your example.

-==cfSearching==-

Apr 27, 2008, 11:58:04 PM4/27/08
DefconRhall wrote:
[i]The expandpath was adding the current directory to my full qualified path, thus resulting in "bad mojo".[/i]

Yes, that would do it ;-) Glad it is working now.

ThePiperDown

May 5, 2008, 5:05:33 PM5/5/08
We upgraded to 8.01 today (Windows 2003 server) and immediately started seeing
problems with the CFIMAGE routines. The hotfix hasn't worked for us, though it
seems to have made the frequency slightly less.

Our application log shows a few of these every few minutes:

An exception occured while trying to write the image. Ensure that the
destination directory exists and that Coldfusion has permission to write to the
given path or file. cause : coldfusion.image.ImageWriter$ImageWritingException:
An exception occured while trying to write the image.

Is work on this hotfix ongoing? Can we expect to see an update sometime soon?

Or.... my favorite and more typical situation, am I the only one still having
this issue? :-)

Many thanks,
- Piper

hans blix

May 5, 2008, 6:36:50 PM5/5/08
Piper,

The info in the logs isn't enough to determine which CFImage bug you are
experiencing. Your best bet would be to wrap your CFImage logic in
cftry/cfcatch and email yourself a dump of the cfcatch structure. Quick and
dirty example below.

So far, the workaround is to call the underlying Java methods to manipulate
and write images. See above for cfSearching's example.

<cftry>
<cfimage...../>
<cfcatch type="any">
<cfmail...>
<cfdump var="#cfcatch#/>
</cfmail>
<cfrethrow/>
</cfcatch>
</cftry>

-==cfSearching==-

May 6, 2008, 7:19:49 AM5/6/08
Update: According to Kiran Sakhare a hotfix for the locking and Huffman table
issues will be released soon. I do not know if it will also fix the
"Quantization table 0x02 was not defined" error.

In the mean time, the full method I am using as a work-around is:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=1&catid=7&t
hreadid=1358449

ksmith

May 7, 2008, 4:04:20 PM5/7/08
Updated hot fix was published today. Visit http://www.adobe.com/go/kb402604 for list of all CF8/8.01 hot fixes. Again, the CFImage hot fix was updated today (5/7/08).

hans blix

May 7, 2008, 10:44:12 PM5/7/08
This patch fixed the problem. Thanks for the quick response.

ThePiperDown

May 15, 2008, 10:51:50 AM5/15/08
Hey Guys,
We tried the latest/greatest CFImage hotfix (updated) yesterday but we started
finding the same errors again in the application.log:

An exception occured while trying to write the image. Ensure that the
destination directory exists and that Coldfusion has permission to write to the
given path or file. cause : coldfusion.image.ImageWriter$ImageWritingException:
An exception occured while trying to write the image.

We're still successfully using the java code workaround, but it is noticeably
slower than the CFImage writing function, so we had to increase timeouts on the
upload pages to deal with that.

Is anyone else still experiencing this issue?

Best,
- Piper

(This is a cross-post from:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=3&threadid=13
56442&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear)

hans blix

May 15, 2008, 5:53:55 PM5/15/08
Piper,

The patch has been working for us. Maybe you are seeing a new bug. Wrap your
cfimage code try/catch (see my previous post), and trap the actual error. What
you are seeing in the logs is a generic error and won't tell you what the true
problem is.

webfor...@macromedia.com

May 19, 2008, 4:15:10 PM5/19/08
Hello, I work with Piper. We've wrapped the CFIMAGE Write tags in catch / try
blocks as suggested. I'm attaching the resulting HTML (from cfdump
var="#cfcatch#") . Any thoughts? Is there anyway to paste RAW html in the
forums? If not, can you point me in the direction of what to look for in this
CFDUMP output? I'll paste some of what seems to be the more pertinent
information below.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Rob

Message: Metadata components != number of destination bands
StackTrace: javax.imageio.IIOException: Metadata components != number of
destination bands at
com.sun.imageio.plugins.jpeg.JPEGImageWriter.checkSOFBands(JPEGImageWriter.java:
1208) at
com.sun.imageio.plugins.jpeg.JPEGImageWriter.write(JPEGImageWriter.java:656) at
coldfusion.image.ImageWriter.writeJPeg(ImageWriter.java:70) at
coldfusion.image.ImageWriter.writeImage(ImageWriter.java:102) at
coldfusion.image.Image.write(Image.java:615) at
coldfusion.tagext.io.ImageTag.performWrite(ImageTag.java:593) at
coldfusion.tagext.io.ImageTag.doStartTag(ImageTag.java:500) at
coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage._emptyTcfTag(CfJspPage.java:2661) at
cfupload2ecfm1559718899._factor11(D:\Websites\LouisvilleMojoCom\Gallery\upload.c
fm:248) at
cfupload2ecfm1559718899._factor12(D:\Websites\LouisvilleMojoCom\Gallery\upload.c
fm:1) at
cfupload2ecfm1559718899.runPage(D:\Websites\LouisvilleMojoCom\Gallery\upload.cfm
:1) at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage.invoke(CfJspPage.java:196) at
coldfusion.tagext.lang.IncludeTag.doStartTag(IncludeTag.java:370) at
coldfusion.filter.CfincludeFilter.invoke(CfincludeFilter.java:65) at
coldfusion.filter.ApplicationFilter.invoke(ApplicationFilter.java:279) at
coldfusion.filter.RequestMonitorFilter.invoke(RequestMonitorFilter.java:48) at
coldfusion.filter.MonitoringFilter.invoke(MonitoringFilter.java:40) at
coldfusion.filter.PathFilter.invoke(PathFilter.java:86) at
coldfusion.filter.ExceptionFilter.invoke(ExceptionFilter.java:70) at
coldfusion.filter.ClientScopePersistenceFilter.invoke(ClientScopePersistenceFilt
er.java:28) at coldfusion.filter.BrowserFilter.invoke(BrowserFilter.java:38) at
coldfusion.filter.NoCacheFilter.invoke(NoCacheFilter.java:46) at
coldfusion.filter.GlobalsFilter.invoke(GlobalsFilter.java:38) at
coldfusion.filter.DatasourceFilter.invoke(DatasourceFilter.java:22) at
coldfusion.filter.RequestThrottleFilter.invoke(RequestThrottleFilter.java:126)
at coldfusion.CfmServlet.service(CfmServlet.java:175) at
coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapServlet.service(BootstrapServlet.java:89) at
jrun.servlet.FilterChain.doFilter(FilterChain.java:86) at
coldfusion.monitor.event.MonitoringServletFilter.doFilter(MonitoringServletFilte
r.java:42) at
coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapFilter.doFilter(BootstrapFilter.java:46) at
jrun.servlet.FilterChain.doFilter(FilterChain.java:94) at
jrun.servlet.FilterChain.service(FilterChain.java:101) at
jrun.servlet.ServletInvoker.invoke(ServletInvoker.java:106) at
jrun.servlet.JRunInvokerChain.invokeNext(JRunInvokerChain.java:42) at
jrun.servlet.JRunRequestDispatcher.invoke(JRunRequestDispatcher.java:286) at
jrun.servlet.ServletEngineService.dispatch(ServletEngineService.java:543) at
jrun.servlet.jrpp.JRunProxyService.invokeRunnable(JRunProxyService.java:203) at
jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$DownstreamMetrics.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:320)
at
jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$ThreadThrottle.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:428)
at
jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$UpstreamMetrics.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:266)
at jrunx.scheduler.WorkerThread.run(WorkerThread.java:66)

TagContext array
1 struct
COLUMN 0
ID CFIMAGE
LINE 248
RAW_TRACE at
cfupload2ecfm1559718899._factor11(D:\Websites\LouisvilleMojoCom\Gallery\upload.c
fm:248)
TEMPLATE D:\Websites\LouisvilleMojoCom\Gallery\upload.cfm
TYPE CFML

2 struct
COLUMN 0
ID CF_UPLOAD
LINE 1
RAW_TRACE at
cfupload2ecfm1559718899._factor12(D:\Websites\LouisvilleMojoCom\Gallery\upload.c
fm:1)
TEMPLATE D:\Websites\LouisvilleMojoCom\Gallery\upload.cfm
TYPE CFML

3 struct
COLUMN 0
ID CF_UPLOAD
LINE 1
RAW_TRACE at
cfupload2ecfm1559718899.runPage(D:\Websites\LouisvilleMojoCom\Gallery\upload.cfm
:1)
TEMPLATE D:\Websites\LouisvilleMojoCom\Gallery\upload.cfm
TYPE CFML

hans blix

May 19, 2008, 5:01:41 PM5/19/08
RE: Metadata components != number of destination bands

That looks like a new bug to me.

Just to keep this organized, start a new thread for this bug, post that dump
and give a link to the image causing the error (see my first post in this
thread for an example). Reply to this post with the new post URL and we'll all
try to replicate your error.

I haven't seen that error yet, so you may have discovered something new.