Nmake error

tstrokes

Jul 18, 2008, 2:41:37 PM7/18/08
to Mack Framework
Does mack work on windows or a windows gem version?.
My app is going to run on a linux server but I'm developing it on
windows.
I haven't been able to install the mack on my XP box. I always get an
nmake error.
nmake
'nmake' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
I even try downloading nmake and it just gives me another string of
errors.
This is a fresh install of windows, ruby, and rubygems.
Thanks
--tstrokes

Mark Bates

Jul 18, 2008, 3:02:12 PM7/18/08
to mack-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Mack itself should run on a Windows box, as it doesn't contain any
native extensions. With that, it does require some gems that have
native extensions. Having taken a quick look through my gems, it
appears that the following gems use nmake:

thin
facets
hpricot

Would you mind trying to do a gem install on each of those
individually and see what happens? Thanks.

Mark Bates
ma...@mackframework.com
http://www.mackframework.com
http://api.mackframework.com/
http://github.com/markbates/mack

Mark Bates

Jul 18, 2008, 3:17:32 PM7/18/08
to mack-fr...@googlegroups.com
Having just setup a Parallels instance of XP, I can see that it's the
utf8proc gem causing the nmake error. Let me see if I can figure out
how to get nmake to run. I'm not a Windows guy, so please bear with
me. Of course, if someone else on this list knows the answer to this,
please feel free and shout it out. :)

Mark Bates
ma...@mackframework.com
http://www.mackframework.com
http://api.mackframework.com/
http://github.com/markbates/mack

Mark Bates

Jul 18, 2008, 4:59:32 PM7/18/08
to mack-fr...@googlegroups.com
Ok, tstrokes, here's what we've figured out today. utf8proc, does not
compile nicely on Windows. Because of this we've just released version
0.6.0.1, which doesn't require this gem. So that problem is solved.

You do have a more general problem on windows that it appears you
really need to install some sort of Microsoft compiler to compile gems
with native extensions. I think you can get one from the Visual Studio
stuff, but not being a Windows developer, I'm unsure about that.

I found that by placing nmake.exe in my c:\windows\system32 path,
things seemed to work better. Some gems though seem to need a cl.exe
file, which is the compiler, seen my note above. :)

As for running/installing Mack on Windows, it should now be only a few
steps:

1. install mack (0.6.0.1, it might take a bit for the gem mirrors to
pick up the new files.)
2. install json_pure (if using data_mapper, data_mapper appears to
need json, but the json native gem didn't install for me, but this one
did.)
3. install proper db drivers for active record or data mapper (I'll
leave this one as an exercise for you, the reader)

I hope all this helps. Please let us know if you have any more
problems. Thanks!