Race Announcement: 2011 Greenbelt Park Training Series

Jeff Travis

Apr 21, 2011, 4:16:49 PM4/21/11
to MABRA...@googlegroups.com, Route...@yahoogroups.com
Greetings --

Route 1 Velo, Mt. Airy Bicycle Club, and Arrow Bicycle are pleased
to announce the Greenbelt Park Training Race Series, back for its
32nd season. Opening day is 5/4 -- hope to see you there!

New for 2011, on 3 dates (6/8, 7/13, and 8/10) we will be holding
a special Lance Armstrong Junior Race Series (LAJRS) event for
boys and girls ages 10-12. This race will start 1 minute behind
the C race, at 6:01PM, and will be 2 laps in length. We will
award medals to the top 3 boys and top 3 girls right after the
race. Parents, mark the dates on your calendar, and bring the
young'ns out and let them have a go at bike racing! As with any
USA Cycling sanctioned race, an Annual or 1-Day racing license is
required to enter.

Online registration is now open on BikeReg:

http://www.bikereg.com/events/Default.asp?pid=595

As always, we offer 4-Race and Season passes online at attractive
discounts compared to day-of single race prices. When you
register online, you get to skip the trip across the street to
T.G.I. Friday's that chews up so much time when you're already
behind schedule because of a traffic jam. We encourage all racers
to do the math, take advantage of these offerings, and save
yourselves money and all of us time on race day.

The Season pass is a particularly good deal that our regular
racers would do well to check out. Not counting the BikeReg
service charge, the per-race savings over day-of purchase is over
$4 for the C race, and almost $5 for the A/B races. As an extra
perk we will reserve start list slots for all Season Pass holders
until 10 minutes before start time.

Online registration closes at 6PM on Tuesdays. A new pair of
Greenbelt Park events will open on Thursdays at 8AM. The little
green button to the left of the road calendar will always take you
to the current listings.

The race flyer may be viewed online at:

http://www.route1velo.com/UserDataWeb/Greenbelt/Flyer_2011_RevB.pdf

As a hedge against the kind of excessively rainy weather that
plagued the series in 2009, we have added 7/6 as an optional
makeup date up front. If we have 3 or more cancellations before
7/6, and there is sufficient demand, we'll make use of the
"midseason break" week to try to get another race in.

Entry fees are held steady this year, at $13 day-of for the C race
and $18 for the A/B; in accordance with MABRA rules the entry fee
for Juniors (ages 10-18) is $10.

The series points leader jerseys will be offered again this year
for the A and B races, courtesy of race sponsor College Park Car
Wash. Each week the leaders will be given a special jersey to
wear in the race when they sign in, and we will collect it from
them at the end of the evening to take home & launder for the
following week. At the end of the season the overall points
winners will be awarded the jerseys.

Can the Harley boys take another podium sweep this year?! Come
see for yourself! While you're there, enjoy watching last year's
B series winner Timothy Shaffer suffer in the A field as new
talent battles for the B jersey.

We welcome back Special Events Medical Services as providers of
on-site EMT support. Also returning, Route 1 Velo's title sponsor
Arrow Bicycle will be providing neutral mechanical support right
next to the registration table prior to each race start. So if a
minor last-minute mechanical problem threatens to spoil your
evening, fear not -- Chris will take care of you!

Lastly, this year's series prize list is sponsored by Arrow
Bicycle. Thanks guys!

Release Policy: USA Cycling requires that every rider present a
completed release form on each date that they race. The form can
be downloaded at:

http://www.usacycling.org/forms/rider_release.pdf

We ask that all riders consider downloading the form, filling it
in on their own computers and printing before coming to the Park.
If everyone does this, the wait in line at registration will be
significantly shortened. Tip: leave the date blank, print 16
copies, and stick them in your race kit. When you get to the
Park, date and sign one copy.

Riders who elect to purchase their voucher day-of will be required
to present a completed release before they will be sold a voucher.
Riders who register online can have a signature-ready release
printed for them at the registration table if they don't preprint
their own. Juniors must have a parent or legal guardian present
at the race to co-sign their relese.

The race day on/off status 'hotline' number is 301.220.1253. This
gets you a recorded announcement that we will update by 4PM on
race days when the weather is sketchy. Status will also be posted
to this listserv and to www.route1velo.com .

Looking forward another great Greenbelt Park season,

Jeff Travis
Route 1 Velo