Greenbelt 6/22 Results Posted

Jeff Travis

Jun 22, 2011, 11:58:17 PM6/22/11
to MABRA...@googlegroups.com, Route...@yahoogroups.com
https://www.usacycling.org/results/index.php?year=2011&id=1014&info_id=39130

http://www.route1velo.com/GreenbeltResults.asp

In the A's: Escobar takes the half-points win; Lumm ekes out
another 0.5 point over the absent Abbott to retain the jersey;
Abbott, Brew, Hoover, and Bodge all tightly spaced from 20-22
points.

In the B's: Ringer adds 7 points to move into 3rd behind the
absent Dougherty and Cheung; otherwise, some new faces in the top
5 on a weirdly light turnout night.

Total rider count was 66, with 17 in the A's, 32 in the B's, and
17 in the C's.

Enjoy!

Jeff

Gordan E. Van Hook

Jun 24, 2011, 6:43:59 AM6/24/11
to JeffT...@greenbelt.com, MABRA...@googlegroups.com, Route...@yahoogroups.com
First of all - thanks for putting on a great series that's a great venue for
area cyclists. You guys always do a g00d job, but I have a small whine -
seems like results are getting more and more abbreviated. Not so concerned
about getting my middle of the pack name in lights, but it would be nice to
at least get credit for a race we paid for... I know it's only a training
race, but I don't remember this from last year, and I did a half dozen of
them.

Thanks, GVH

https://www.usacycling.org/results/index.php?year=2011&id=1014&info_id=39130

http://www.route1velo.com/GreenbeltResults.asp

Enjoy!

Jeff

wcus...@aol.com

Jun 24, 2011, 9:08:38 AM6/24/11
to g_van...@comcast.net, JeffT...@greenbelt.com, MABRA...@googlegroups.com, Route...@yahoogroups.com
that's not the promoter's doing.  that's the officials, and, having attempted to help score a field once or twice, it's hard to do.  once your out of the money or the points, it's all gravy.  thank your officials for getting as much right as they do.

Steve

Jun 24, 2011, 2:05:55 PM6/24/11
to mabra...@googlegroups.com, MABRA...@googlegroups.com
It is indeed great that we have volunteer officials spending time in this sport doing things like scoring races for others.  But I don't think that means they should be given a pass when they don't do the job well or completely.  Because it is "hard to do" does not mean it should not be done.  The guys that don't get scored, even at Greenbelt, deserve to be.  If the officials are not able to get the placing right beyond "where it counts" then at least record the finishers as NP or something.  It means a lot to some to get results listed in the usacycling db and for a lot of guys that go out to that training race, it is all they ever do.  It could make the difference between encouraging someone to keep with the sport and turning them off of it.

Matt Ringer

Jun 24, 2011, 2:54:02 PM6/24/11
to MABRA-USCF
The officials don't always get it right, but if you care about your
scoring it's your responsibility to take appropriate and timely
action. There is a 15 minute protest period after every race, since
you two care enough to post an open letter complaining about the
officials not having your results recorded, you should have cared
enough to stick around and verify you were included in the results. If
you weren't included you should have asked NICELY for it to be
corrected, I've seen officials do just this in the past, when
possible.

The reality is it isn't always possible to score everyone in a
training race. Without a finish camera they aren't always able to get
full results, especially when the finishing order is close and/or with
more than one field on the same lap. On the plus side not having a
finish camera also keeps costs down and is a part of why Jeff and R1V
are able to continue to put on this awesome event, each week, for all
of us. Of course if you feel you can do a better job officiating, last
I heard USAC are always looking for people to step up and don the blue
button up.

opus...@aol.com

Jun 24, 2011, 2:56:03 PM6/24/11
to bicycl...@gmail.com, mabra...@googlegroups.com
I've been a licensed racer since 1986 and in that time, I've never known an official getting a "free pass" when it comes to scoring a race. I can't speak for your experience at races but for you to say that getting a race scored in error being tantamount to "encouraging someone to keep with the sport and turning them off of it" is shrill, non-sensical and un-becoming.

Suggest you spend a day with a referee crew for the day, starting at 7:00 on a rainy Sunday morning and put up with all of the crap - then tell us how many free passes you saw during the day.

Jesse

Jun 24, 2011, 4:23:13 PM6/24/11
to MABRA-USCF
While we're on the topic of Greenbelt...didn't they used to provide
Jelly with the Peanut Butter for pre/post race nourishment??
> For general MABRA information, go tohttp://www.mabra.org- Hide quoted text -

Alexander Meller

Jun 24, 2011, 4:29:28 PM6/24/11
to jessel...@gmail.com, MABRA-USCF
You mean they STOPPED!?

OUTRAGEOUS!

;-)

Sent from my shoe-phone

Eric Griffin

Jun 24, 2011, 4:50:23 PM6/24/11
to mabra...@googlegroups.com
Times are tough - just Nutella these days.

Daniel Meaurio

Jun 24, 2011, 4:59:23 PM6/24/11
to jessel...@gmail.com, MABRA-USCF
Did Greenbelt once, got dropped  twice, finished like 30something, glad I did not see my name on usacycling.org

Jeff Travis

Jun 24, 2011, 8:32:43 PM6/24/11
to MABRA-USCF
Thanks, Matt.

In case anyone is still interested in this topic I have updated the
Greenbelt FAQ to cover some of this material. See q.15-16:

http://www.route1velo.com/GreenbeltFaq.asp

Jeff