Mt Joy Photos, or "How not to run a race"

Linc Brookes

Jun 5, 2011, 5:29:06 PM6/5/11
to MABRA-USCF

I was lazy, so I only took a few shots of the finish of the Masters and 3 / 4 races, but unfortunate circumstances made this the most amazing clusterf*ck finish I’ve ever seen.

The story is: It’s a short race on a short 6 mile loop (12 -15 min laps). The 1/2/3 race goes off for 10 laps, The 3 /4’s go off a little late for 6 laps, then the Masters shortly after that for 5 laps. The first couple of laps, the 1/2/3 has a good break going. Because most of the teams in the break, especially Kelly, have people in the pack, the gap is growing and the break is going hard. Meanwhile, the 3 /4 has only one team (HPC)  that’s organized, so after their break doesn’t get away, the pack settles in to a “wait for the last lap” pace. In the third lap, the Masters, all broken up, catch the 3 /4’s who are neutralized, but have to wait 3 min. for the strung out Masters to go by.

With 2 ½ to go, the Moto tells the chief the 1/2/3 break is going to catch (lap) the 3 /4’s, so the decision is made to shorten the 3 /4 race(?). The 3 /4’s go by thinking it is 2 to go, but get the bell. Suddenly it’s “game on!”. Consequently, the 1/2/3 break doesn’t catch them until the midpoint climb, but they are not neutralized as this is their last lap. At this point, some of the 3 /4’s decide to chase the 1/2/3 lead group. Now it’s really “game on!”. With 1k to go the 3 /4 catches the 1/2/3 lead group, who, knowing the 3 /4’s are headed for the sprint, sits up and lets them go by. Just seconds ahead is the tail end of the Masters, also on the last lap. So now all three fields are coming to the line at the same time (which BTW, is a downhill sprint).

This sequence of pictures begins with some Masters sprinting for maybe 8th.. In the background you can see the 3 /4’s starting the sprint at the top of the hill. The lead rider (Justin Mauch) is looking around to find room to squeeze between the 1/2/3 lead car (straddling the yellow line) road and his lead Moto. Notice in the foreground that someone has decided that the finish area is too wide, so metal barriers (w/ 18 in feet) have been added to make things more interesting. At the end of the sequence you can see the two riders on the inside using the Moto as their leadout man to pass Justin, who is trying to avoid being sideswiped by his own lead car, whose occupants seem unaware that there is a race going on.

Gallery: http://linc.zenfolio.com/mtjoy2011

Slideshow: http://linc.zenfolio.com/mtjoy2011/slideshow

James R Wilson

Jun 5, 2011, 6:15:22 PM6/5/11
to li...@brookes.com, MABRA-USCF
How totally screwed-up and dangerous ... glad no one got hurt ... Justin deserves triple upgrade points ... get him out to Cascades ... !

-- Jim

Jim Wilson
jamesr...@gmail.com
http://images.jamesrwilson.com
703.532.0658 H
571.239.6772 C

Jeff Anderson

Jun 5, 2011, 6:28:26 PM6/5/11
to li...@brookes.com, MABRA-USCF
Wow....what a series of pictures.   I hope there is a big lessons (not plural)  learned discussion going on somewhere.......as some riders are lucky they didn't get seriously  hurt.

Regards
Jeff Anderson