{LVL1} Space Hunt - 814 E. Broadway (Okinawa "Health Club")

Todd Chandler

Apr 23, 2010, 11:16:40 PM4/23/10
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Who: Property owner for 814 E. Broadway. I know the guy and his family

What:
Used to be Okinawa Health Club on Broadway next to ORI. The place has
been gutted. Has tin or faux tin ceiling with skylights. We would be
in the back area underneath the loft. Has access to alley and rear
access with garage door. Floors wavy because floors were installed
incorrectly but sturdy and can be fixed. The space is rough and not
finished but owner will run plumbing and electric where needed and is
flexible with accommodating our needs.

Where:
814 E. Broadway about 2 blocks down from Skull Alley towards town on
Broadway.

When:
Units are available now, but would require build-out of walls as well
as running new electrical conduit.

Why:
It's a good location with a parking lot. It's a cool old building that
used to be "massage parlor". Everyone in Louisville who has been down
Broadway knows it as a landmark. The owner is very flexible and we can
use the whole building until he finds renters for the front section.
He is looking to fill it with offices or a restaurant.

Access would be 24x7 but we would have to work something out like a
keypad entry system. It currently only has keyed entry.

Currently no bathrooms but we can there is an area where it could
easily go and I think the owner will install that but we would be
responsible for upkeep.

I don't think utilities are included but I'll check on that. I'm not
sure what power is currently available but owner will upgrade service
to provide what we need.

Todd Chandler

Apr 24, 2010, 12:06:55 AM4/24/10
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Here is a link to pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49590204@N04/

Check it out.

Christopher Cprek

Apr 24, 2010, 7:53:14 AM4/24/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Looks cool! Ex-massage parlor jokes will be an endless stream of
comedy. What's the square footage / rent?

/Chris
CTotCW LVL1

Todd Chandler

Apr 24, 2010, 2:56:07 PM4/24/10
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
We didn't have a good measurement on the space but it looked to be
about 30'x50' and would run about 500/mo or ~$0.33/sq. ft. I put that
info in the wiki page but not here I guess. Whoops.

There was another space in the OK Storage building at the corner of
Barret and Broadway but the owner would have to replace a $10,000 roof
(which he would probably do) but it had no heating and air. It would
also be much harder to have a clean space for classes. It was probably
twice the square footage but even rougher. My friend is part owner of
several buildings in the area. We can discuss it at the meeting but OK
Storage probably wouldn't be a good option.

JT

Christopher

Apr 28, 2010, 11:30:00 AM4/28/10
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I'm definitely more intrigued by this spot after hearing JT talk it
up. Here are my questions:

1) Can we can start to occupy the spot ASAP even without build-out
completed? I.e. move in some equipment, hold meetings, hold workshops,
etc.

2) Can we get a list of all the build-out details included in the
lease with a conditional half-price rent until items are finished?
This is not meant to be punitive, but an incentive to make sure build-
out details don't languish while we are occupying. If we are occupying
the space at full rent with no build-out options completed the
incentive to have them completed disappears.

3) Can bathroom build-out be made an ASAP priority? How soon could we
expect that to happen? Can a separate mens and womens room be built?
This is a major hurdle that would make workshops impossible until
completed.

4) Is that exact square footage and price solid? Just checking to make
sure it doesn't change as we're feeling it out.

5) Is electric / water already on a separate meter for this space? If
not, how would we determine out distinct utilities cost for ourselves?
I imagine that since spots in here are being used for band practice,
electric is on and being provided by the building owner.

I believe JT is figuring out a time for a showing so I'll watch for
that.

/Chris
> For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/lvl1?hl=en

Christopher Cprek

Apr 28, 2010, 11:39:56 AM4/28/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Oh and whoever's idea it was to institute a 'no black lights' policy;
I support this idea. It will provide me with much relief.

/Chris
CTotCW LVL1

Brian Wagner

Apr 28, 2010, 12:23:42 PM4/28/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I am free to go space shopping friday morning. Any chance you could
show us the spot JT?

Jeff Johnson

Apr 28, 2010, 2:06:28 PM4/28/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Thats not very politically correct, dude. ;)

Brian Wagner

Apr 28, 2010, 4:28:22 PM4/28/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Oops, my bad. I usually do not have too many chances to get out
during the week. This whole space hunt is exciting. I meant to say I
am available to go space hunting on Friday. Anyone else?

On Wednesday, April 28, 2010, Jeff Johnson

Todd Chandler

Apr 29, 2010, 8:48:33 AM4/29/10
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I can go Friday morning. Let me know when you want to meet. Send me an
email with your phone number so we can coordinate.

JT
> For more info about LVL1 visitwww.lvl1.org- Hide quoted text -

Mark Endicott

Apr 29, 2010, 9:47:32 AM4/29/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to go as well. I have to take my dog to the vet at 9:30. I'll be free by 10:15 at the latest.

Mark

Glenn Barrett

Apr 29, 2010, 12:21:17 PM4/29/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to tag along as well.  Any time Friday is fine for me.

- Glenn

Christopher Cprek

Apr 29, 2010, 1:41:36 PM4/29/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Same here. I can make time for whenever on Friday.

/Chris
CTotCW LVL1

na

Apr 29, 2010, 2:14:40 PM4/29/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Let me know the time as well, I actually might be able to go in the morning.

Creighton

Todd Welsh

Apr 29, 2010, 2:49:43 PM4/29/10
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I can go too. Set a time. I'll sneak out of work. If we could see
Skull Alley right afterward, that would be even better! Any chance of
that, Chris?
> > For more info about LVL1 visitwww.lvl1.org-Hide quoted text -

Christopher Cprek

Apr 29, 2010, 3:29:58 PM4/29/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
No I don't think so. The morning isn't so great when Jamie is up until
very late with music shows.

But if someone can give me an exact time *really soon* I'll try and
get in touch with the property owner to arrange something.

/Chris
CTotCW LVL1

Brian Wagner

Apr 29, 2010, 6:25:51 PM4/29/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Just talked to JT, we are going to meet in front of the 'health club'
space at noon. Everyone is welcome to check out this space.
See ya.

Christopher Cprek

Apr 29, 2010, 7:10:04 PM4/29/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
The spot behind Skull Alley may no longer be available anymore. I'll
need to check with the property manager tomorrow morning, but Jamie
thinks it might have just been taken by someone else.

/Chris
CTotCW LVL1

Brad Luyster

Apr 30, 2010, 11:05:40 AM4/30/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I have to run by school anyway, so I'll stop by on my way.

Mark Endicott

Apr 30, 2010, 1:11:27 PM4/30/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I meant to come today but my schedule had suddenly changed so I wasn't free. I look forward to hearing your impressions.

Mark

Brian Wagner

Apr 30, 2010, 2:02:18 PM4/30/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com