Space Hunt: East Broadway (behind Skull Alley) 2000sq ft

Christopher Cprek

Apr 2, 2010, 5:41:48 PM4/2/10
to lvl1
Who:
Property manager for Skull Alley and this space. I've met the guy when
viewing the space.

What:
2000 square feet for ~$575 a month. It was stated that this was
negotiable depending on how much build out we need him to do. Utility
cost average is unknown, but depending on AC usage I'd guess between
$100-$150.

Where:
1019 E. Broadway behind and abutting Skull Alley. Access is from the
alley in the back.

When:
Available immediately in current condition, but real availability
dependent on repairs and necessary build out.

Why:
This is the opposite end of the spectrum from Mellwood. There is a lot
of square footage for fairly cheap, but it is in grimy condition. The
fact that it bumps up to Skull Alley where we've had 2 workshops
already means we have a friendly neighbor.

It is one big open spaced metal warehouse with a concrete floor. A
couple of beams break up the openness, but not to any noticeable
extent. The prior tenant ran machinery to bend wickets for political
yard signs, so there's 220V. Currently, the only door is the loading
door. The outside has some litter and there's graffiti. This was a
rougher area of town a decade ago, but not so much now imho. There is
a small functioning bathroom.

The owner plans on making repairs before renting. Some windows need to
be replaced. The other windows have metal grating, so these replaced
windows would get that as well. It has heating, but currently no AC.
He's willing to put in AC, but it's something we'd need to negotiate.

There is one parking space in the back that would technically be
available to us. Other than that, it's street parking or the
neighboring business lot that's open after 5pm.

My general impression is that it's a grimy shop that was being used
for industry, but would clean up well with the openness of the space.

A phone line would have to be pulled in from the Skull Alley building
in order to get internet. But AT&T would take care of that.

The fact that Skull Alley has late night shows would put some eyes on
the building at night.

The property manager was genuinely intrigued by what we want to do.
But he let me know that he will be renting to the first tenant that
wants the space and passes a financial check.

Video:
Outside
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vascpNIpxKk

Inside
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urk4ykHN5-k

/Chris
CTotCW LVL1

Christopher Cprek

Apr 5, 2010, 12:37:08 PM4/5/10
to lvl1
Update on this. The property manager had let me know that Jamie (SA
owner) has first option for renting, but I'm not sure if I mentioned
that below.

I talked with Jamie about the space and brought up something the
property manager had mentioned about being OK with sharing the space.
The idea for SA renting the space is to use some of the area for a
printing shop. He would not be using the whole thing, and estimated
maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of the space, depending. He's extremely open to the
idea of subleasing the space to us and dividing up the space/rent
accordingly. There will be logistics to work out for separating the
power meter, wall build out, etc. We discussed these briefly.

So I just want to throw that out there. Rent would be even cheaper. We
would be subleasing from SA, who's very enthusiastic and supportive of

what we want to do.

/Chris
CTotCW LVL1

Brian Wagner

Apr 6, 2010, 7:31:37 AM4/6/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I think this might be a good arrangement, especially when we are
starting. Do you know if we would have to put up walls to subdivide
the space, or could we leave it open and still accommodate Jamie's
equipment? Open would look nicer. Also, Did it look like we could
paint the walls and/or the floors. A fresh coat of paint can do
wonders. Finally, it looked like the bathroom could be spruced up
with some drywall and paint. Is that so? I like the idea of keeping
the cost of rent down. Then we would have more money for things like
makerbots and welding machines!

Good work Chris!

Christopher Cprek

Apr 6, 2010, 10:07:21 AM4/6/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
The idea is to partition off the print area so it can't be messed
with. It would be walled in, but maybe we can wall it in with view
windows. The print shop is part of how Jamie makes his living, so it's
understandable that he wouldn't want to take any chances of it being
messed with.

All of the walls could use some drywall and paint. The inside walls
are all exposed. It'd be up to us to determine how important that is.
Either we get the property manager to do that and have our rent
adjusted, or do it ourselves at our leisure. Both Jamie and the
property manager will be as hands off as we want, which means we'll be
able to make our own adjustments to the space more easily than other
potential spaces.

I too like the idea of keeping rent really cheap. Don't underestimate
the intangibles here either. Similar to Mellwood, being connected to
an existing community will be good for our visibility and enthusiasm.
Also SA sells beer!

/Chris
CTotCW LVL1

Jon Sabo

Apr 6, 2010, 6:01:47 PM4/6/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
6 pack, is Jamie not planning on moving into the space behind Skull Alley, just using it for printing? I remember talking it over with him a few weeks ago since it was only a little more than his rent now. I've been sick and out of the loop for a few weeks now though.

I'd also consider the downsides of being right next to skull alley. A lot of kids get trashed in that alley that connects to the warehouse, so you have all those broken irish rose bottles back there. A few lights would do wonders though, and there's definitely a lot more upsides than downsides with being connected to SA imo.

-Sabo

Christopher Cprek

Apr 6, 2010, 6:52:26 PM4/6/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
That information is not accurate. There was no mention of him moving
in during our discussion and he was wholly supportive of the
arrangement above.

Drunk teenagers are a consequence of nobody being back there in my
opinion. Nothing some flood lights and a garden hose can't fix.

/Chris
CTotCW LVL1

na

Apr 7, 2010, 4:45:10 PM4/7/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Jon Sabo wrote:
> 6 pack, is Jamie not planning on moving into the space behind Skull
> Alley, just using it for printing? I remember talking it over with him
> a few weeks ago since it was only a little more than his rent now.
> I've been sick and out of the loop for a few weeks now though.
>
> I'd also consider the downsides of being right next to skull alley. A
> lot of kids get trashed in that alley that connects to the warehouse,
> so you have all those broken irish rose bottles back there. A few
> lights would do wonders though, and there's definitely a lot more
> upsides than downsides with being connected to SA imo.

We could easily set up one of those high pitched tone devices to come on
every few minutes in the alley. The kind that some Brit invented that
can be heard by teens but not adults, and is annoying as hell.

Creighton

Jeff Johnson

Apr 7, 2010, 9:32:38 PM4/7/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I think its called the mosquito

jason p

Apr 7, 2010, 10:06:22 PM4/7/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
http://www.paintballsentry.com/    could just diy one of these an mount it out back  ,,   :devil_grin:

na

Apr 8, 2010, 12:22:54 AM4/8/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Jeff Johnson wrote:
> I think its called the mosquito

We could do that, too; but putting up rain barrels to promote pests
could backfire.

Creighton

Todd Welsh

Apr 13, 2010, 12:40:07 PM4/13/10
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I got an MP3 of that one time. Play it... can't hear it. Turn up the
volume on the computer, play it, can't hear it. Turn up the volume on
my earphones, play it... "hey, my phones are not plugged all the way
in"... ouch! ouch! ouch! Turns out I can hear it.

Todd W.