T Shirt slogan contest

TimH

Mar 17, 2010, 5:09:55 PM3/17/10
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
I am willing to work on a t shirt design, but would like to invoke the
collective creative juices of the group. Post any ideas you have for a
slogan. The author of the winning slogan will get an autographed
original of the final design plus t-shirt number 1. The decision of
the designer (me) is final. The final design, if any, will be
submitted so club meeting for acceptance.

Strothman

Mar 17, 2010, 5:27:58 PM3/17/10
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
I was thinking about these kinds of things while I was at work today.
Things such as T-shirts, and business cards and the like. Maybe it's
just a matter of throwing up suggestions for wording to be a good
collaborative effort. But if you have any ideas whatsoever, then you
should feel free to share them. Even if your grand master Microsoft
Paint/Adobe Photoshop/GIMP skills aren't top notch, feel free to post
a photo.

I was messing around with "Google Wave" last night a little bit. And
as Jenny told me, "Google Wave" doesn't seem like it's all that hot,
but then again I'm not sure that any of us have ever tried to
collaborate a group project using GW. Considering we are currently
only seeing each other once every 2 weeks, maybe toying with something
like GW might not be a terrible idea, to keep the above mentioned
creative juices flowing.

Same for the business card. What is relevant information? What is the
information that will get you a Double Take, and make people
interested in telling their friends, co-workers, etc.

If no one wants to try GW, that's cool. But I'm PEER PRESSURING some
intense PAINT drafts to kill your time.

Rob Kelley

Mar 17, 2010, 6:35:22 PM3/17/10
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
Brainstormin' here - be gentle:

"Official Warranty Voider"
"Maker's Nirvana"
"A risk we take when first we make. . ." GRAPHIC of something smoking
(circuit board, power amp, etc.)
"Oops - did I do that?" GRAPHIC of something smoking (circuit board,
power amp, etc.)
"Because everything should have an eleven" (obligatory reference to
This Is Spinal Tap)
"Equations - we don't need no stinkin' equations"
"Theory: Measure twice, cut once. Reality: Measure once, cut twice,
try to re-glue it."
"It ain't pretty - but it works (well sort of)" GRAPHIC of some hacked
together contraption.
"Will work for microcontrollers. . ."
"But its got LEDS. . ." GRAPHIC of broken down car or some other
piece of equipment that doesn't need LEDS
"Testing the published limitations of . . . everything! GRAPHIC of
assorted items (circuit board, wood working project, welding project,
etc.)
"The man, the myth, the maker. . . ." GRAPHIC of Santa Claus.
"What is this warranty thing of which you speak???"
"Do not void the warranty - 'I'm sorry, did you say something"
GRAPHIC of a person in a suit talking to a maker. . .
"If it ain't broken, we can break it!!

Christopher Cprek

Mar 17, 2010, 7:00:01 PM3/17/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I liked Mark's "Talk Nerdy To Me." slogan.

I'd like "Louisville, KY" on there somewhere- just so we can all
remember where we live.

Thanks for stepping up on this Tim.

/Chris
CTotCW LVL1

Brian Wagner

Mar 17, 2010, 7:46:55 PM3/17/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
[ ] Hackerspace
[ ] Makerspace

Place your vote

Brian Wagner

Mar 17, 2010, 7:47:27 PM3/17/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Or how 'bout  "I make stuff, do you?"

Machine ArtGirl

Mar 17, 2010, 8:16:05 PM3/17/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
How about "hack this"
in a girlie-t

MAG

Christopher Cprek

Mar 17, 2010, 8:20:09 PM3/17/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Just put the whole hackerspace/makerspace thread on the back...

/Chris
CTotCW LVL1

Christopher Cprek

Mar 17, 2010, 8:21:11 PM3/17/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
+1 on "hack this" w/ maybe a "hack me" variation.

/Chris
CTotCW LVL1

Machine ArtGirl

Mar 17, 2010, 9:19:33 PM3/17/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
of course we need font type in the old dos hello world atari style...

Mark Endicott

Mar 17, 2010, 10:31:11 PM3/17/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
"My robot can be up your robot"

Brian Wagner

Mar 18, 2010, 8:36:36 AM3/18/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Protecting YOU from the zombie robots since 2009!

jason p

Mar 18, 2010, 9:01:50 AM3/18/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com

" What? This isn't Mary Kay? "

" I deleted all of kindergarden to learn to solder "

if (!understand () )
  system.out,printin ("dont ask") ;

" i void warranties "

" its not hacked , WTF ?  "

"Voltage (V) = Current (I)* Resistance(R). "

Machine ArtGirl

Mar 18, 2010, 9:02:50 AM3/18/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
rock on mark!
bumper sticker.... my robot can beat up your honor student - LVL1.org
oh and Kate says sorry for missing meeting and wants to set up a time for you to visit her machine shop !

MAG

Mark Endicott

Mar 18, 2010, 10:29:37 AM3/18/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
"V/I is futile, you will be assimilated"

Brian Wagner

Mar 18, 2010, 10:35:36 AM3/18/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Nice.  That one took a few cycles to compute.

TimH

Mar 19, 2010, 9:45:24 AM3/19/10
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
OK... here is v.01

http://facultyzoo.com/hardin/testing/LVL1_shrt.htm

Comments welcome. criticism doubtful.

Tim

Christopher Cprek

Mar 19, 2010, 12:10:48 PM3/19/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Looks awesome! Great work Tim! My only suggestion is that I prefer
LVL1 over LVL(one) simply because it matches our URL and paperwork
filings.

/Chris
CTotCW LVL1

> --
>

> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to lvl1+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words "REMOVE ME" as the subject.

na

Mar 19, 2010, 2:42:06 PM3/19/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
TimH wrote:
> OK... here is v.01
>
> http://facultyzoo.com/hardin/testing/LVL1_shrt.htm
>
> Comments welcome. criticism doubtful.

me like.

Creighton

jason p

Mar 19, 2010, 3:35:10 PM3/19/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com

id buy one , awesome man !  :)

Rob Kelley

Mar 19, 2010, 5:59:39 PM3/19/10
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
I like it!!!

> > submitted so club meeting for acceptance.- Hide quoted text -

Glenn Barrett

Mar 19, 2010, 6:09:37 PM3/19/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Looks good :)  Should try it on something other than black as well.

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to lvl1+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words "REMOVE ME" as the subject.

--
.::Glenn Barrett
.::hype...@gmail.com

Camron

Mar 19, 2010, 6:19:05 PM3/19/10
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
I see hackerspace was used on the shirt design, was this ever
officially declared?

TimH

Mar 19, 2010, 10:15:42 PM3/19/10
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
I can easily change it to makerspace. Someone make a decision and let
me know.

Tim

Glenn Barrett

Mar 19, 2010, 10:35:20 PM3/19/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Seems like it would be best to stick with makerspace for the shirt since that is how the actual group is referring to itself.  Just my opinion.

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to lvl1+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words "REMOVE ME" as the subject.

Mark Endicott

Mar 19, 2010, 11:06:49 PM3/19/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Not to throw a wrench in the works, but we still haven't decided this issue. I am still firmly on the side of hackerspace. Perhaps a debate with final vote at the next meeting?

Mark

Brian Wagner

Mar 19, 2010, 11:24:43 PM3/19/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Leaning toward hackerspace...  Maybe we leave that section in white and then write it in with a sharpie?  Awesome work on the shirt.  Chris, can you get Jamie to get a quote, then we could take paypal orders or something.

Frank Vuckovich

Mar 20, 2010, 4:46:22 AM3/20/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
There's even a debate about this? I'm surprised anyone would question
hackerspace. Is the fear we'll been considered a group of crackers by
real people if hackerspace is used?

Joe

Mar 20, 2010, 5:33:49 AM3/20/10
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
*kerspace for playing around with *nix systems. OK OK so throwing a
wild card in there may not make it easy to say. Even more so if a
layperson tries to read it as starkerspace(and you thought hackerspace
could come across wrong) or asteriskerspace.

I would also like to point out that I value having a space over having
a shirt. I am not discouraging or complaining out the conversation at
all. I just want to make sure that we do not divert any of our
resources away from the goal.

Christopher Cprek

Mar 20, 2010, 10:40:55 AM3/20/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
A couple of things:

1) hackerspace/makerspace was discussed at length but never decided.
Frankly, I don't think there's any reason these can't be used
interchangably, depending on the audience you are talking to. But if a
member feels strongly about it one way or another, we have a process
codified in our bylaws that allows you to bring the issue to a vote.
This is how we definitively resolve disagreement. So if it really
sticks in your craw, please by aware that all members have the power
to do something about it. Until such time, let the flamewars rage!
Just please either resurrect the original thread or start a new one to
avoid collateral damage.

2) Design by committee is a drag, design by mob is even worse. Tim has
done an awesome job putting together a T-shirt design and he can make
any modifications he deems worthy. When the group feels entitled to
start modifying your hard work, it is incredibly discouraging.
Recognize that Tim has all the power on his design and no one is going
to dictate changes. He can do whatever he wants to do in his design.
Please offer polite suggestions. Perhaps you could convince him of
changes by offering homemade cookies or even cold hard cash. This
could lead Tim to become a power mad T-shirt designing despot... But
you could create a coup by offering your own T-shirt design.

3) I agree with Joe that our financial focus is obtaining a space
first and foremost. If we can make a net profit off a of T-shirt sales
I am for it. If we lose money in the short term, I am against it. I'll
defer to Brian on how that works with pre-orders and such. Skull Alley
has a special right now on 50 1-color t-shirts for $4 a piece, not
including KY sales tax. This includes the shirts, screening, ink etc.
50 is actually a very low bare minimum order to make the screening and
such worthwhile, so it's a good deal for us compared to places that
would require a much larger minimum order. If pre-order numbers can
work out, go for it. Otherwise let's consider T-shirts a prize for
getting a space.

/Chris
CTotCW LVL1

jason p

Mar 20, 2010, 1:34:17 PM3/20/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
this is a hard call for sure !

 hacker space is the most relevant way to discride a group like this i believe ,  we are all hackers / do it yourself / maker types or have interest in makeing things ,  hobby stuff ,,  etc,,,,,

     but haveing said that  most none hip people hear hacker and think of computers or criminals ,etc,,      i dunno how many times ive told someone hey you wanna go to a hacker meeting an its like they instantly think its over there head or they dont wanna break the law,,,

makerspace  a wider range of people will hear without thinking of computers or criminals ,
 ive asked folks that  i know didnt like computers or did any codeing if they know what make mag was ,  aah yeah they say thats a diy magazine ,  my wife gets craft mag , etc,,

    but makerspace is like calling the group a 2600 meeting , still not everyone will know wtf your talking about ,

      lvl1 is a great name i say leave it at that just lvl1  ,,
   any hackers that come across the site will say " oooh yeah they cool , they hack gibsons ,,,, "     then any maker that comes to the site sees an says "ooooh sweet they cnc flamethrowing cupcakes ,, wooot ! "      then  the average joe comes to the site an reads it an says " oooh look at them geeks , i dunno sounds dorky but they have classes an i wanna learn ! "

 tactically as in SEO  you want to use all terms that are relevant to the site an group ,   diy , hacker , make , crafters , hobbiest ,etc,,    used in the site that makes it hit on google with all those when searched ,  so dont drop any !
    just word the about and site as somthen like   "  lvl1  louisville metros  only  maker , diy, hacker an hobbiest coalition  "

  for tshirts again just put lvl1 on it then when an if somone asks about it you can explain ,  or they see it an wonder wtf is lvl1.org
 then google it later and find out its NON profit group for makeing , teaching , hacking an arts ,crafts ,etc,,,,,,,,

Mark Endicott

Mar 20, 2010, 3:55:23 PM3/20/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
+1 on Chris's post. Our hacker/maker-space debate shouldn't derail the t-shirt project. Tim has done a great job on the shirt and I don't care that it labels LVL1 as a makerspace. LVL1 will be defined by what we do, not what we call it. I'm happy using either label. I just don't want hackerspace to be made verboten. Tailor the label to your current audience.

There will be (hopefully) many more t-shirts in the future. One t-shirt doesn't define us.

Mark

na

Mar 20, 2010, 6:17:33 PM3/20/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Jason & Ornumar Dodd

Mar 20, 2010, 6:24:07 PM3/20/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
We can all have our own shows, why not our own TV commercials?
Awesome. Guess it'll have to be Makerspace for the commercial, though!

Machine ArtGirl

Mar 20, 2010, 8:52:28 PM3/20/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I love a marketing challenge
oooh pick me

MAG

Machine ArtGirl

Mar 19, 2010, 6:24:29 PM3/19/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Nice... can we print a few on girly tee's ?

MAG

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 2:35 PM, jason p <jasonpi...@gmail.com> wrote:

id buy one , awesome man !  :)

Machine ArtGirl

Mar 20, 2010, 6:27:55 AM3/20/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
What would be REALLY funny is it you put both hackerspace and makerspace on the shirt with an empty check box
then the wearer could check it off
...sort of cheeky?

MAG

Camron

Mar 19, 2010, 6:15:39 PM3/19/10
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
I see the logo uses hackerspace, was that ever officially declared?

On Mar 19, 6:09 pm, Glenn Barrett <hypet...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Looks good :)  Should try it on something other than black as well.
>

> On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 5:59 PM, Rob Kelley <rrkelley1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I like it!!!
>
> > On Mar 19, 9:45 am, TimH <cth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > OK... here is v.01
>
> > >http://facultyzoo.com/hardin/testing/LVL1_shrt.htm
>
> > > Comments welcome. criticism doubtful.
>
> > > Tim

> > --

> > lvl1+uns...@googlegroups.com <lvl1%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/lvl1?hl=en
> > For more info about LVL1 visitwww.lvl1.org
>

> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to lvl1+

> > unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words "REMOVE
> > ME" as the subject.
>
> --
> .::Glenn Barrett

> .::hypet...@gmail.com

Message has been deleted

Barton Chittenden

Mar 21, 2010, 1:33:03 AM3/21/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
How 'bout ".*kerspace", or "(hac|ma)kerspace"?

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 5:24 AM, Joe <joe....@gmail.com> wrote:
*kerspace for playing around with *nix systems.  OK OK so throwing a
wild card in there may not make it easy to say.  Even more so if a
layperson tries to read it as starkerspace or asteriskerspace.

On Mar 19, 11:24 pm, Brian Wagner <bpwag...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Leaning toward hackerspace...  Maybe we leave that section in white and then
> write it in with a sharpie?  Awesome work on the shirt.  Chris, can you get
> Jamie to get a quote, then we could take paypal orders or something.

> On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 11:06 PM, Mark Endicott <drpho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Not to throw a wrench in the works, but we still haven't decided this
> > issue. I am still firmly on the side of hackerspace. Perhaps a debate with
> > final vote at the next meeting?
>
> > Mark
>
> > On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 10:35 PM, Glenn Barrett <hypet...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Seems like it would be best to stick with makerspace for the shirt since
> >> that is how the actual group is referring to itself.  Just my opinion.

> >> --
> >> .::Glenn Barrett

> >> --
>

> >> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to lvl1+
> >> unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words "REMOVE
> >> ME" as the subject.
>
> >  --
>

> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to lvl1+
> > unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words "REMOVE
> > ME" as the subject.

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to lvl1+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words "REMOVE ME" as the subject.

--
Only one carry on? No electronics for the first hour of flight? I wish that, just once, some terrorist would try something that you can only foil by upgrading the passengers to first glass and giving them free drinks.  -- Bruce Schnier
"Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with." – Steven King

na

Mar 22, 2010, 1:30:02 PM3/22/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Machine ArtGirl wrote:
> I love a marketing challenge
> oooh pick me
>
> MAG

Go for it. Video editing isn't my thing.

Creighton

Machine ArtGirl

Mar 22, 2010, 2:24:47 PM3/22/10
to lv...@googlegroups.com