Introductions thread

Cefiar

Feb 19, 2010, 9:53:44 PM2/19/10
to Lunar Numbat
After having a chat with Marco over a few emails, it's become apparent
that some of the people here haven't introduced themselves on list. So
to rectify that, we have this thread! Just something brief like
follows...

I'm Stuart (though everyone knows me as Cef), and I've been mucking
about with Linux since about '95 and computers since about '83. Help
out here and there with the odd fix and/or observation for some
projects (usually just ad-hoc 'scratch the itch' stuff), but have done
things like being the mailing list admin for an Victorian LUG called
LUV for +10 yrs, served on their committee, etc.

I've got background in electronics (previous work before computing),
and have some experience with radio (CB mainly, though one of these
days I'll get around to amateur radio). Also quite interested in
physics, though nothing useful has come out of that yet.

Not really a programmer, more of a problem solver. I will stick my
head into code to find a problem, or figure out a better way of doing
things (even if that code is the Linux kernel). I'll also go to the
effort of learning enough of a new language if I'm not familiar with
it so I can highlight an issue.

Why am I here? I just like helping, and if my skills are useful so
much the better. And hey, it's space, who here isn't inspired by that?

So, next? ;)

Benjamin Humphrey

Mar 8, 2010, 12:57:09 AM3/8/10
to lunar-...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone!

Introduction:

My name is Benjamin Humphrey. I'm 19 years old, I study Computer
Science at Otago University in Dunedin, New Zealand. My primary
interests are Flying, Photography, Programming, Linux and Music. I
listen to the Dave Matthews Band, I run Ubuntu on my laptop and my
server, and I'm the leader of the Ubuntu Manual Project. I've got my
Private Pilots Licence, play the drums, trumpet and guitar and I'm
also an amateur photographer.

Open Source Experience:

I'm a very active member of the Ubuntu Community as the leader of
the Ubuntu Manual project. We have over 350 team members who are
writing a manual for the Lucid Lynx 10.04 release and beyond.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-manual
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-manual

In terms of coding, I have mainly done web design throughout high
school but now I'm majoring in Computer Science, have done some java
and python papers.

I don't know how much help I can be with writing code at the moment as I
probably don't have enough experience, but I am a competent project
leader/coordinator and fairly good at other general things like web
design, site maintenance, wiki maintenance, bug tracking,
specification writing and advocation.

I'm a member of the NZ Open Source Society and my blog gets aggregated
to planet.nzoss.org

You can find out a tonne more at my website, http://www.interesting.co.nz

To see what I've been doing for Ubuntu, have a look at my Ubuntu wiki
[1] and Launchpad account.[2]

Why am I interested in this project? It's space, man! Space-based
projects are the coolest applications of Linux ever. Why would anyone
not want to be a part of this coolness!?

Anyway, I hope I can be of some assistance!

-- Benjamin

> --

Benjamin Humphrey

Ubuntu Manual Project Leader
Dunedin, New Zealand

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-manual
www.interesting.co.nz

Tomo

Mar 12, 2010, 4:21:44 PM3/12/10
to Lunar Numbat
Hi everyone!

I'm Tom Heard. I'm a 20 year old student at the University of Otago in
Dunedin, New Zealand. I am currently in my third year of my four year
BSc (Hons.) degree in Computer Science. My dad also graduated with a
MSc in Computer Science from the University of Otago in (if I remember
correctly) 1982, and so I pretty much grew up around computers and
have been using them for as long as I remember. Despite having an
interest from an early age in programming, I didn't really start doing
it until my last year in high school and even more when I got into
University. Despite this I must have picked it up quick because I got
asked by the Otago Computer Science department to do honours after my
first year, which at Otago the first year is all mainly programming
papers.

My computing experience includes programming in C# (in my last year at
high school in which my computing teacher claimed will be the only
compiled language used in the next year), Java, C, a little C++,
Python, HTML, and PHP. I've also done University papers on Computer
Architecture and Operating Systems, Data Networking, Databases, and am
currently doing AI, Computer Graphics, Computer Theory, a 4th year
Databases paper, and a Software Engineering paper. I have also got
some intern experience working at eServ Global in the summer of
'08-'09 working with grid computing and I wrote a python script to set
up RSA password-less login on remote machines for auto-testing. In the
summer of '09-'10 I worked writing a website and a billing system
(which is still currently not on the web as the CEO is still waiting
for some other things (not related to my website) to get sorted before
he puts my website up) for a startup in Wellington.

I haven't really got any Open Source experience, but hey you have to
start somewhere.

Outside of computing I have dabbled in a little Psychology, and first
year Philosophy.

Outside of schooling my interests include movies, gaming, Swimming,
Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, and playing and watching any sport that is
currently on at the time.

Anyway thats a little about myself, and in my free time outside of Uni
work I am happy to help where I am needed.

--
Tom Heard

Benjamin Humphrey

Mar 12, 2010, 6:01:02 PM3/12/10
to lunar-...@googlegroups.com
Sweet! Another Otago CS student. Welcome to the party :)

Did you hear about LN from the email I sent to all the CS staff and 2
yr + students?

> --

Benjamin Humphrey

Ubuntu Manual Team Lead
Dunedin, New Zealand

http://www.ubuntu-manual.org
www.interesting.co.nz

Tom Heard

Mar 13, 2010, 6:26:01 PM3/13/10
to lunar-...@googlegroups.com
Yep that is exactly where I heard it from, and I thought it sounded cool, so I decided to join in.
--
Tom Heard

Loquacity

Mar 26, 2010, 1:54:42 AM3/26/10
to Lunar Numbat
Hi everyone,

By day, I'm a technical writer for Red Hat. Otherwise, I blog (in
several places, but if you're looking for info about me then
http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com is the place to look), I run the Girl
Geek Dinners in Canberra, I speak about writing and about open source
and about women (all at once, if I can), I write all sorts of
generally trashy fiction, and I spend a lot of time pulling things
apart and attempting to put them back together again. Sometimes it
works. Sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't is usually when the fun
bit starts ;)

I met come of the Lunar Numbat team at linux.conf.au in Wellington in
January, and I'm rather excited about getting involved in this
project. It's not often that a project comes along that really makes
my spine tingle like this one has.

Lana

Luke Weston

Mar 31, 2010, 1:44:05 PM3/31/10
to Lunar Numbat
Pulling things apart and attempting to put them back together again is
great fun :)

On Mar 26, 4:54 pm, Loquacity <rangersta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> By day, I'm a technical writer for Red Hat. Otherwise, I blog (in

> several places, but if you're looking for info about me thenhttp://lanabrindley.blogspot.comis the place to look), I run the Girl

Lana Brindley

Mar 31, 2010, 3:43:33 PM3/31/10
to lunar-...@googlegroups.com
I pulled my Roomba apart not so long ago. It was touch and go for a while there, but it's working again now.

One day, I'll figure out how my daughter works too :\

Cheers! Lana

I do not want people to be agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them.
 - Jane Austen

http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for more information.

Daniel Harmsworth

Apr 5, 2010, 12:55:40 AM4/5/10
to lunar-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

My name is Daniel Harmsworth, i am a TAFE lecturer, Perl Programmer and general geek from Perth, Western Australia. I am heavily involved with the hackerspace over here and have access to all our computer-aided manufacturing goodies (we have just finished commissioning our CNC router which can mill anything up to aerospace grade aluminium to within an accuracy of 0.01mm).

I am unsure of how helpful i can be but anything i can do to help, i will do.

Why am i interested, well, i wholeheartedly believe that Open Source is the best way of doing things and if a team powered by Open Source can put a rover on the moon that would somewhat prove the point. Also its space and is therefore awesome.
Daniel Harmsworth
Lecturer, Information Technology
Challenger TAFE eTech Centre

V C

Apr 13, 2010, 12:15:58 PM4/13/10
to Lunar Numbat
Hey guys,

I'm Vince, a Melbournian but studying in Canberra as a 1st year at
ANU.
I'm an Engineering(R&D)/Science student (thinking of majoring in
mechatronics and mathematical physics) and have used Ubuntu on my
secondary desktop for a few (3ish) years.
Once I get a proper rig in Canberra, I'll be running linux, but for
now, I'll probably be stuck in the ANU CSIT computer labs which run
Ubuntu. My programming class makes us use linux (with haskell and
java), which in my opinion is good =) - I don't see many linux/open
source advocates around.
Although inexperienced an not so knowledgeable right now, I'm quite
passionate about open source and linux, and most of all, SPACE =D

Some other stuff: graduated from MHS, mostly programmed for games (not
much though),
plays violin and piano (badly) and started guitar
loves xkcd ever since some guys from my school wallpapered the school
with printouts of xkcd for muck up day.
also likes red vs blue, and One Piece (a manga).
Dreams: to invent stuff that goes into space, develop near/pass speed
of light travel and nuclear fusion. I like dreaming =P

If there's anything I can do, I'll be glad to help out =)
My main priority is study but I should have enough time amidst my
membership of many clubs and societies (orchestra, caving, languages -
japanese, german, black hole society, just to name a few).

Thanks guys, nice to meet you,
Vince

V C

Apr 22, 2010, 10:14:10 AM4/22/10
to Lunar Numbat
Hello all,

So how many of us are in Canberra? And did I see anyone at CLUG
tonight?

Anyway, I am really eager to help out with Lunar Numbat. I realise
that at the moment I probably can't help with any technical work, but
I'd like to in the future (possibly as part of the research projects I
will do in my Engineering degree), so I'd be happy to read the work
that we're doing. Could I get access to the wiki/password needed
resources please?

I'm also happy to help with anything I can do at the moment. (e.g. non-
technical)
**************** So please let me know what I can do to help! =D
**********************
As said below, I'll mainly work out of the CSIT labs for using linux.
I can use my hall's macs/windows as well, and also have an old 800MHz/
8GB HDD laptop which I just use for web-browsing (I got virused, so
only firefox and pdf reader works - left my Linux CDs at home and I
can't be bothered wasting time on it). I will get a new laptop next
semester, so expect me to be more on irc then. =)

By the way, thanks for wiki/posting the reference material =)
Thanks,
Vince

Nathan Britton

May 13, 2010, 7:50:51 AM5/13/10
to Lunar Numbat
Hello Everyone,

I'm a little late joining the group, and although I've heard of the
"Australian partners", I didn't know what Lunar Numbat was, so I'm
happy to finally get here and see some of what you're up to.

My name is Nathan Britton, I am currently gearing up to start my PhD
at Tohoku University in Japan under professor Yoshida. I will be the
systems engineer for the WLS rover. Most of my responsibilities begin
this Fall, but I have already done some preliminary phase 0 work on
the rover.

I have a double BA in Japanese and Computer Science from University of
Hawaii, doing work with AI and real-time simulations. As a computer
scientist, I'm happy to see some fellow programmers and linux fans;
for those who care, I have an Ubuntu machine at home and I've worked
with C++, Java, Python, LISP, and Prolog. I recently completed my MS
degree in Space Studies from the International Space University and I
am now going into Engineering to bridge into some more of the hardware
side of things.

So over the next few years we will be cooperating where your work
meets the rover itself. I look forward to working with you!

Nigel H-S

Feb 17, 2011, 8:12:27 PM2/17/11
to lunar-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm Nigel, 28 and based in Brisbane.

My relevant experience is:

Technical:
* Am familar with embedded Linux on AVR32s and ARM chipsets
* Familar with Atmel AVR 8 bit microncontrollers (including but not limited to Arduinos)
* Built many robots over the past 6 or so years (my latest rover leverages vision processing, Wifi, mapping etc)
* Have run a small network of Linux based clients and servers for several years (mostly Ubuntu) [With NAS, backup devices, using NFS, SSH remote mounts, wifi bridges on DD-WRT etc etc]
* Familar with OpenCV vision processing libraries and starting to get familiar with Willow Garage's ROS more generally ( www.ros.org )

* Familar with Blender (open source 3D art assest creation and video production software) [I used to produce and sell video tutorials for it]

* Program in C/C++ and related languages
* Getting familiar with Android devlopment with Java

Non-Technical relevant skills/experience

* Until recently was an ICT Lawyer with one of the big law firms, now in a more direct commercial IT related role
* Currently run an Embedded Linux/Robotics blog at adventuresinsilicon.blogspot.com detailing how to rebuild kernels, set up remote SSH access over the Internet etc.
* Previously operated the Australian Amateur Robotics website
* Assist with the operaton of the Brisbane based RobotSIG
* Document drafting and communcation skills
* Huge supporter of the Open Source approach and understand why and what it is

I am happy to assist with both technical and non-technical aspects of the project.

Nigel H-S (aka Dingo_aus)

Marco Ostini

Mar 8, 2011, 7:43:22 AM3/8/11
to lunar-...@googlegroups.com, Nigel H-S
Hi Nigel,

My humble apologies for the laggy response to your great post.

On 18 February 2011 11:12, Nigel H-S <nigel.hung...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm Nigel, 28 and based in Brisbane.
>
> My relevant experience is:

Your experience and skills look fantastic for supporting the Lunar
Numbat project.

I'd like to catch up via a phone/skype call, or for a coffee, and to
discuss a bit about Lunar Numbat / White Label Space and about
yourself and time you may have available to offer, and to get to know
you a bit.

Please respond off list. There is much work to be done, and I look
forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
Marco

Message has been deleted

Marco Ostini

Mar 29, 2011, 8:25:43 AM3/29/11
to lunar-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Liam,

On 28 March 2011 17:24, Liam McQuellin <liam.mc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I thought it was about time I introduced myself. I am Liam, 20 and
> based in Melbourne.

Welcome to Lunar Numbat!

> I have been reading up on the Lunar Numbat project for the last few
> months. I am
> currently an ASRI member assisting with the avionics for the AUSROC
> 2.5 program, as well
> as the SSRP program.

Fantastic! This will help our development of the throttle control
avionics for A2.5

> I have had no experience with Linux, but I have has experience with
> PIC's, PICAXE, Ardunino, MEGA, and
> ST microcontrollers. I have also done flight avionics for Med power
> model rockets. I have hundreds of hours experience with through
> hole soldering, as well as surface mount and rework.

> I have a large amout of experience with 3D CAD, previously doing
> suspension component drafting for
> an automotive design company.

Sounds like you have an excellent skill set, and I'm sure you'll
assist A2.5 and Lunar Numbat significantly.

> Im not sure how my skills will be helpful, but I hope to get involved
> any way I can. I

I'm certain that there will be heaps you'll be able to do, just
working together on A2.5 for starters.

May I encourage you to join the Connected Community Hackerspace in
Melbourne, as some of the most productive members of Lunar Numbat, are
also members of this Hackerspace:

http://www.hackmelbourne.org/

When we organise the next Lunar Numbat conference call, I'd love for
you to join us.

Cheers,
Marco

Andy Gelme

Mar 29, 2011, 1:30:54 PM3/29/11
to lunar-...@googlegroups.com
hi Liam,

On 2011-03-29 23:25 , Marco Ostini wrote:

> May I encourage you to join the Connected Community Hackerspace in Melbourne

Yes, you'd be quite welcome.

The CCHS currently meets at a location reasonably close to Swinburne
University / TAFE, every Tuesday evening and the last weekend of each month.

Please email me directly for more details, e.g. location address.

Joining the CCHS Google Group (see http://hackmelbourne.org for the
link) is a good way to keep in touch with the group activities.

> On 28 March 2011 17:24, Liam McQuellin <liam.mc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am currently an ASRI member assisting with the avionics for the AUSROC
>> 2.5 program, as well as the SSRP program.
> Fantastic! This will help our development of the throttle control
> avionics for A2.5

This project is being undertaken at the CCHS with the hardware
development being lead by Luke.

Jon, Stuart and myself are also based in Melbourne and are members of
the CCHS.

>> I have had no experience with Linux, but I have has experience with
>> PIC's, PICAXE, Ardunino, MEGA, and
>> ST microcontrollers. I have also done flight avionics for Med power
>> model rockets. I have hundreds of hours experience with through
>> hole soldering, as well as surface mount and rework.

Sounds like you'd fit right in.

>> Im not sure how my skills will be helpful, but I hope to get involved
>> any way I can.

I'm sure that Luke would be happy to work with you on-going hardware design.

There is plenty of firmware to develop as well.

And, we'll happily help you fill that gap in Linux expertise :)

--
-O- cheers = /\ /\/ /) `/ =
--O -- http://www.geekscape.org --

MIRV

Mar 12, 2012, 5:53:13 AM3/12/12
to lunar-...@googlegroups.com
My name is Jared.

I'm only 30, but I've been a space whacko since I was a little kid, although I'm a lot more pragmatic that I used to be. I love the technical challenges, but I don't shy away from thinking about the political and economic challenges of space.

I've attended a couple of ASDC and ASSC conferences in the past, but being married with kids makes it a bit more difficult to travel around nowadays.

My qualification and professional background is aero engineering, but for something different since mid 2010 I've been structural engineering. My aero experience is in FAR 23 aircraft manufacturing and certification. I particularly enjoyed flight test instrumentation and data logging (including software development to support it).

I've been programming Delphi for over 10 years, but for the past couple I've been web programming (php) on Debian systems (at home and at work). I'm more of an agile programmer, but I'm aware of the documented information system implementation aspects. Engineering software, and programs that interface between different software and/or hardware are of particular interest.

Apart from engineering, I also do mechanical and structural drafting occasionally, so if there are any parts that need manufacturing, assembly or arrangement drawings, I might be able to help (I use Autodesk AutoCAD and Inventor at work, but I have Dassault Systems DraftSight at home, which is dwg-compatible). I've also done some CAM, so while I don't have access to CAM software any more, I'm familiar with punch machine tooling and nesting and alclad bend allowances.

I also love the odd nailbiter engineering problem; you know the ones that bosses hate because they can chew up time like a dog chews up sqeaky toys. The harder the problem, the more attractive. One of my favourite problems is the rocket equation and SSTO. Another problem that I've been looking at for years is perpetual motion with permanent magnets. I'm not sure if I'll ever get anywhere with it, but I love coming up with ideas, drawing things out and tinkering with magnets. There's of course no shortage of nearsighted physicists and armchair experts alike that think the laws of thermodynamics dictate that perpetual motion is impossible, end of story; I guess they'll never get anywhere with it either. Anyway, if anyone has an engineering problem, I'll be happy to take a look.

jared.cr...@hotmail.com
http://space.info.tm/