You can't export non-ffs filesystems with NFS, and it isn't documented

1 view

Han Boetes

Jan 21, 2005, 1:04:34 AM1/21/05

I just noticed once again you can't export non-ffs filesystems
with NFS. Well you can export them, but after mounting the
partition on the client you won't see any files.

It assume this is not a bug but expected behaviour. But on the
other hand this isn't mentioned in the documentation.

Perhaps it would also be nice if mountd would complain while you
attempt to export a non-ffs filesystem.

# Han

Julian Leyh

Jan 23, 2005, 10:18:05 AM1/23/05
Han Boetes <h...@mijncomputer.nl> wrote:

> I just noticed once again you can't export non-ffs filesystems
> with NFS. Well you can export them, but after mounting the
> partition on the client you won't see any files.

I can't verify this behavior... mounted a msdos filesystem (usb stick)
and exported it via nfs. i could mount and view all files on target nfs
client. (server and client both -current).

cu
JRL

--
If you don't remember something, it never existed...
If you aren't remembered, you never existed...

Han Boetes

Jan 23, 2005, 4:37:42 PM1/23/05
Julian Leyh wrote:
> Han Boetes <h...@mijncomputer.nl> wrote:
> > I just noticed once again you can't export non-ffs filesystems
> > with NFS. Well you can export them, but after mounting the
> > partition on the client you won't see any files.
>
> I can't verify this behavior... mounted a msdos filesystem (usb
> stick) and exported it via nfs. i could mount and view all files
> on target nfs client. (server and client both -current).

Odd...

Could you be so kind to show me the lines of the msdos partition
in /etc/fstab and in exports?

I have:

~% grep msdos /etc/fstab
/dev/sd0a /mnt/usb msdos rw,nodev,nosuid,noatime,noauto 0 0

~% grep usb /etc/exports
/mnt/usb/ -mapall=han:nfs marsupilami

# Han

John Wright

Jan 23, 2005, 6:31:29 PM1/23/05
On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 10:36:36PM +0100, Han Boetes wrote:
> ~% grep usb /etc/exports
> /mnt/usb/ -mapall=han:nfs marsupilami

I haven't been following this thread but trailing slashes can sometimes mean
things. Have you tryed removing it?

ie.

/mnt/usb -mapall=han:nfs marsupilami

Han Boetes

Jan 23, 2005, 10:21:29 PM1/23/05
John Wright wrote:
> Han Boetes wrote:
> > ~% grep usb /etc/exports
> > /mnt/usb/ -mapall=han:nfs marsupilami
>
> I haven't been following this thread but trailing slashes can
> sometimes mean things. Have you tried removing it?
>
> /mnt/usb -mapall=han:nfs marsupilami

Yes I have tried that as well. I have tried all sorts of logical
and illogical things. It didn't change the outcome though.

# Han

Julian Leyh

Jan 24, 2005, 9:12:37 AM1/24/05
Han Boetes <h...@mijncomputer.nl> wrote:

> Odd...
>
> Could you be so kind to show me the lines of the msdos partition
> in /etc/fstab and in exports?
>
> I have:
>
> ~% grep msdos /etc/fstab
> /dev/sd0a /mnt/usb msdos rw,nodev,nosuid,noatime,noauto 0 0

/dev/sd1i /umass msdos rw,noauto,nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0

> ~% grep usb /etc/exports
> /mnt/usb/ -mapall=han:nfs marsupilami

/umass -maproot=root dual

(dual is the hostname of the nfs-client)

Alexander Hall

Jan 24, 2005, 1:19:08 PM1/24/05
From: "Han Boetes" <h...@mijncomputer.nl>

> I have:
>
> ~% grep msdos /etc/fstab
> /dev/sd0a /mnt/usb msdos rw,nodev,nosuid,noatime,noauto 0 0

Have you successfully mounted this? Shouldn't it be /dev/sd0i?

/alexander

Han Boetes

Jan 24, 2005, 4:59:06 PM1/24/05
Julian Leyh wrote:
> /dev/sd1i /umass msdos rw,noauto,nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0
> /umass -maproot=root dual

Odd... It still doesn't work.

# Han