NCD Xterms and XDMCP with OBSD.

Andrew Basterfield

May 14, 2002, 4:45:47 AM5/14/02
On Tue, 14 May 2002 03:03:14 -0500 (CDT)
Sean Cody <null-ob...@tinfoilhat.ca> wrote:

> 2) Other than the man pages (which are confusing) does anyone know how
> to setup or know where i can find some more friendly documentation for
> setting up XDMCP on OBSD? I'd even be happy just knowing how to get the
> damned XDM daemon running on a TCP port (doesn't seem to open any ports
> when I run it with the default configs).

I can certainly help you configure xdm network login. I have done this in
the past on OpenBSD but I'm working off a NetBSD machine at the mo so it
might be slightly different.

/etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess (allow external machines to connect)
uncomment the line '* Any host can get a login window'
of course only do this on a private/protected subnet.

/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers (control local Xserver)
comment out the last line if you don't want an xdm controlled X display on
the OpenBSD machine

/etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config
comment out 'DisplayManager.requestPort' with a '!' to open the TCP socket

Restart xdm.

I think that should be enough to get a login on the xterm, or a unix X
session started with 'X -query hostname'

The best way to learn about xdm is to read the comments in the contents of
/etc/X11/xdm

hope this helps

--Andrew

--