capturing a desktop demonstration as a movie

gu...@sisis.de

Feb 28, 2006, 6:42:19 AM2/28/06
to freebsd-...@freebsd.org

Hi,

Is there somehow a tool (in the ports) to capture a (KDE-) desktop of
FreeBSD while doing a presentation of some kind of software to create
a movie of this, for example as a *.avi file?

I've looked through /usr/ports/multimedia but did not see any tool
which could do this.

Thx

matthias
--
Matthias Apitz / Sisis Informationssysteme GmbH
ein Tochterunternehmen der OCLC PICA B.V. Leiden (NL)

freebsd

Feb 28, 2006, 6:49:18 AM2/28/06
to Matthia...@sisis.de, freebsd-...@freebsd.org
gu...@Sisis.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there somehow a tool (in the ports) to capture a (KDE-) desktop of
> FreeBSD while doing a presentation of some kind of software to create
> a movie of this, for example as a *.avi file?
>
> I've looked through /usr/ports/multimedia but did not see any tool
> which could do this.
>
> Thx
>
> matthias

There is an application called wink:
http://www.debugmode.com/wink/download.php
But it doesnt look like it has made it to the ports yet. The download
site has links for linux versions, perhaps there may be someone working
on a port?

ivan...@free.fr

Feb 28, 2006, 6:57:17 AM2/28/06
to freebsd-...@freebsd.org
Sorry, I forgot to cc this mail to the list and only send the answer to
Matthias.

> Hi,
>
> Is there somehow a tool (in the ports) to capture a (KDE-) desktop of
> FreeBSD while doing a presentation of some kind of software to create
> a movie of this, for example as a *.avi file?
>
> I've looked through /usr/ports/multimedia but did not see any tool
> which could do this.
>
> Thx
>
> matthias

> --
> Matthias Apitz / Sisis Informationssysteme GmbH
> ein Tochterunternehmen der OCLC PICA B.V. Leiden (NL)
> D-82041 Oberhaching, Gruenwalder Weg 28g
> Fon: +49 89 / 61308-351, Fax: -399, Mobile +49 170 4527211
> http://www.sisis.de/~guru/

For sure it exists! :)

Look in sysutils for xvidcap

http://www.freebsdsoftware.org/sysutils/xvidcap.html

--
Regards, Ivan.

----- Fin du message transféré -----

Igor Robul

Feb 28, 2006, 7:21:02 AM2/28/06
to freebsd-...@freebsd.org
On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 12:42:19PM +0100, gu...@Sisis.de wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there somehow a tool (in the ports) to capture a (KDE-) desktop of
> FreeBSD while doing a presentation of some kind of software to create
> a movie of this, for example as a *.avi file?
>
> I've looked through /usr/ports/multimedia but did not see any tool
> which could do this.
For example this:

net/vnc2swf
Vnc2swf is a recording tool for VNC. It records VNC sessions and
generates a Flash movie file (SWF). It can be used as an X11 recorder
or a Windows desktop recorder.

I remember, that I have seen other applications in ports, when I
"surfed" ports tree.

Ow Mun Heng

Feb 28, 2006, 10:13:19 PM2/28/06
to freebsd-...@freebsd.org
On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 11:49 +0000, freebsd wrote:
> gu...@Sisis.de wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there somehow a tool (in the ports) to capture a (KDE-) desktop of
> > FreeBSD while doing a presentation of some kind of software to create
> > a movie of this, for example as a *.avi file?

> There is an application called wink:
> http://www.debugmode.com/wink/download.php

There's also one called xvidcap. captures screenshots and then uses
ffmpeg to put them as a movie.

gu...@sisis.de

Mar 1, 2006, 1:29:44 AM3/1/06
to Ow Mun Heng, freebsd-...@freebsd.org

Thanks for all hints. I gave xvidcap (from the ports) a try and in
general it is able to capture the desktop and make a mpeg (...) movie
on the fly. But even for capturing 800x600 with only 5 frames per
second it runs in 'missing frames' sometimes and my notebook is
*very* fast. :-((

Ow Mun Heng

Mar 1, 2006, 2:24:31 AM3/1/06
to freebsd-...@freebsd.org
On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 07:29 +0100, gu...@Sisis.de wrote:
> El día Wednesday, March 01, 2006 a las 11:13:19AM +0800, Ow Mun Heng escribió:
> > There's also one called xvidcap. captures screenshots and then uses
> > ffmpeg to put them as a movie.
>
> Thanks for all hints. I gave xvidcap (from the ports) a try and in
> general it is able to capture the desktop and make a mpeg (...) movie
> on the fly. But even for capturing 800x600 with only 5 frames per
> second it runs in 'missing frames' sometimes and my notebook is
> *very* fast. :-((

That's odd. I gave it try previously, it ran fine on mine. Granted I
only tried it on a very small screen size. (~320x240??) It was a capture
of a SWF file which I wanted to show as an avi. It generated tons of
files though and it really gave my HD a running around.

PS : why is it that this list To's the replies directly to the person
answering and cc's the list instead of To'ing the list only??

gu...@sisis.de

Mar 1, 2006, 3:11:40 AM3/1/06
El día Wednesday, March 01, 2006 a las 03:24:31PM +0800, Ow Mun Heng escribió:

> On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 07:29 +0100, gu...@Sisis.de wrote:
> > El día Wednesday, March 01, 2006 a las 11:13:19AM +0800, Ow Mun Heng escribió:
> > > There's also one called xvidcap. captures screenshots and then uses
> > > ffmpeg to put them as a movie.
> >
> > Thanks for all hints. I gave xvidcap (from the ports) a try and in
> > general it is able to capture the desktop and make a mpeg (...) movie
> > on the fly. But even for capturing 800x600 with only 5 frames per
> > second it runs in 'missing frames' sometimes and my notebook is
> > *very* fast. :-((
>
> That's odd. I gave it try previously, it ran fine on mine. Granted I
> only tried it on a very small screen size. (~320x240??) It was a capture
> of a SWF file which I wanted to show as an avi. It generated tons of
> files though and it really gave my HD a running around.

I've looked around in the faq's and forums and they all have that
problem. They only hints are:
- compile ffmpeg with -O5 (per default it is -O2); this does not
helped much;
- lower the screen size
- lower the bits per pixel to 8
- lower the frames per second
someone claimed that it should work fine with 1024x768, 8bpp, 10fps;
when I have more time I will try 8bpp too;

> PS : why is it that this list To's the replies directly to the person
> answering and cc's the list instead of To'ing the list only??

I use 'mutt' and a r)eply would send the answer to you only, while
a g)roup-reply send a Cc: to the list;

Parv

Mar 1, 2006, 3:33:32 AM3/1/06
to Ow Mun Heng, freebsd-...@freebsd.org
in message <1141197872.2...@neuromancer.home.net>, wrote Ow
Mun Heng thusly...

> PS : why is it that this list To's the replies directly to the
> person answering and cc's the list instead of To'ing the list
> only??

I notice the same query in one of your previous messages; thought
that by now you would have got a response. It seems that is not
the case, so ...

The guideline is to copy both the OP and the list as not everybody
who posts a message is subscribed.

See also point 6 ...

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/freebsd-questions/article.html#AEN218

I personally would delete an address if the owner of that address
explicitly requests not to send him/her a copy.

Personal judgment about the recipient list & behaviour of mail
clients also affect the mail headers. For an example of (modifying)
mail client (behaviour wrt mailing lists), see mutt manual and read
the sections containing "mail-followup" ...

http://www.mutt.org/doc/devel/manual.txt

- Parv

Ow Mun Heng

Mar 1, 2006, 3:50:56 AM3/1/06
to f-q
On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 03:33 -0500, Parv wrote:
> in message <1141197872.2...@neuromancer.home.net>, wrote Ow
> Mun Heng thusly...
> >
> > PS : why is it that this list To's the replies directly to the
> > person answering and cc's the list instead of To'ing the list
> > only??

> The guideline is to copy both the OP and the list as not everybody

> who posts a message is subscribed.

I see. So that's the rules of this mail-list. er.. does this also mean
that everyone can post to this list w/o registering?

Hmm.. didn't see that. (Actually, I didn't read/search for it when I
subscribed to the list)

> I personally would delete an address if the owner of that address
> explicitly requests not to send him/her a copy.

That would be hard to remember.

> Personal judgment about the recipient list & behaviour of mail

Various other mailing lists dictates that posters reply to the list and
not the list _and_ the OP.

Guess this is different.

I still prefer for messages to be sent to the list.

Many Thanks for the explanation.

--
Ow Mun Heng
98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!

Svein Halvor Halvorsen

Mar 1, 2006, 4:17:11 AM3/1/06
On 2/28/06, gu...@sisis.de <gu...@sisis.de> wrote:
> Is there somehow a tool (in the ports) to capture a (KDE-) desktop of
> FreeBSD while doing a presentation of some kind of software to create
> a movie of this, for example as a *.avi file?

You could go via vnc. It can save vnc-sessions to special vnc-files,
which you later could convert to an avi, mpg, swf, whatever using e.g
transcode. Both are in ports.

Svein Halvor

Jerry McAllister

Mar 1, 2006, 9:27:09 AM3/1/06
to Ow Mun Heng, f-q

> On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 03:33 -0500, Parv wrote:
> > in message <1141197872.2...@neuromancer.home.net>, wrote Ow
> > Mun Heng thusly...
> > >
> > > PS : why is it that this list To's the replies directly to the
> > > person answering and cc's the list instead of To'ing the list
> > > only??
>
> > The guideline is to copy both the OP and the list as not everybody
> > who posts a message is subscribed.
>
> I see. So that's the rules of this mail-list. er.. does this also mean
> that everyone can post to this list w/o registering?

This is the most general and public of the mailing lists for FreeBSD so
it is managed in that most open of ways. I beleive some spam blocking
is employed though.

////jerry

> > See also point 6 ...
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/freebsd-questions/article.html#AEN218
>
> Hmm.. didn't see that. (Actually, I didn't read/search for it when I
> subscribed to the list)
> >
> > I personally would delete an address if the owner of that address
> > explicitly requests not to send him/her a copy.
>
> That would be hard to remember.
>
> > Personal judgment about the recipient list & behaviour of mail
>
> Various other mailing lists dictates that posters reply to the list and
> not the list _and_ the OP.
>
> Guess this is different.
>
> I still prefer for messages to be sent to the list.
>
> Many Thanks for the explanation.
>
> --
> Ow Mun Heng
> Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz 1.5GB RAM
> 98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!
> Neuromancer 16:48:28 up 4:05, 3 users, load average: 0.29, 0.90, 0.82

Micah

Mar 1, 2006, 10:03:48 AM3/1/06
gu...@Sisis.de wrote:
> El día Wednesday, March 01, 2006 a las 11:13:19AM +0800, Ow Mun Heng escribió:

>>> There is an application called wink:
>>> http://www.debugmode.com/wink/download.php
>> There's also one called xvidcap. captures screenshots and then uses
>> ffmpeg to put them as a movie.
>
> Thanks for all hints. I gave xvidcap (from the ports) a try and in
> general it is able to capture the desktop and make a mpeg (...) movie
> on the fly. But even for capturing 800x600 with only 5 frames per
> second it runs in 'missing frames' sometimes and my notebook is
> *very* fast. :-((
>
> matthias

I had the same problem when recording a demonstration and ended up using
vnc2swf instead (records a swf animation). I couldn't get xvidcap to
work with anything but really small windows, which was useless since I
was trying to demo a web application.

HTH,
Micah

David Scheidt

Mar 2, 2006, 1:25:21 AM3/2/06
to Ow Mun Heng, f-q
On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 04:50:56PM +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 03:33 -0500, Parv wrote:
> > in message <1141197872.2...@neuromancer.home.net>, wrote Ow
> > Mun Heng thusly...
> > >
> > > PS : why is it that this list To's the replies directly to the
> > > person answering and cc's the list instead of To'ing the list
> > > only??
>
> > The guideline is to copy both the OP and the list as not everybody
> > who posts a message is subscribed.
>
> I see. So that's the rules of this mail-list. er.. does this also mean
> that everyone can post to this list w/o registering?

Yes. This is a support list; making people subscribe places a big
barrier to support...

> Various other mailing lists dictates that posters reply to the list and
> not the list _and_ the OP.
>
> Guess this is different.
>
> I still prefer for messages to be sent to the list.

Most people reading FreeBSD mailing lists are doing so in their spare
time, or are only following things they find interesting. I delete 99%
of -questions without reading it, because I know from the subject
lines that someone will already have answered the question before I
get around to reading -questions, which is maybe two or three times a
week. I expect that's typical. CC'ing the recipient helps insure
that they see the response.

David

Ow Mun Heng

Mar 2, 2006, 2:51:48 AM3/2/06
to David Scheidt, f-q

I get the idea. Okay then, I'll abide.

(anyway, it's easier for me now then, since I don't have to manually cut
the "cc" to the "to"

--
Ow Mun Heng
98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!

Neuromancer 15:50:45 up 1 day, 3:07, 3 users, load average: 2.44, 3.02,
2.82

Giorgos Keramidas

Mar 2, 2006, 9:31:04 AM3/2/06
On 2006-03-02 15:51, Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mu...@wdc.com> wrote:
> (anyway, it's easier for me now then, since I don't have to manually cut
> the "cc" to the "to"

Some level of attention *is* required, mind you. For instance,
if you see recipients like:

ques...@freebsd.org
freebsd-...@freebsd.org

It's good to know when these are duplicates (aliases for the same
list), and remove one of them. It certainly saves many hundreds
of duplicate posts that the FreeBSD.org mail server has to handle :)

- Giorgos

gu...@sisis.de

Mar 8, 2006, 8:26:00 AM3/8/06
to Svein Halvor Halvorsen, freebsd-...@freebsd.org

Hello,

Just to record this and maybe for the help of others looking for
the same in the future:

I followed the hints about 'vnc2swf' and installed from the ports:

/usr/ports/net/tightvnc
/usr/ports/net/vnc2swf

There is nearly nothing todo or to configure, just do (if you
want to have all on one system):

- launch your desktop (mine is KDE)
- create some other user which session you later want to capture
- open a xterm and 'su' to that user: 'su - joana'
- as 'joana' start now the VNC X-Server:

$ vncserver :1

it will ask your for a password which is later used to connect to this
X-Server and which is stored forever in a file;

- but for now kill the VNC X-Server again with:

$ vncserver -kill :1

- in the HOME of 'joana' you now have the file /home/joana/.vnc/xstartup
which was created by the 1st launch of 'vncserver' and which you want
to modify the same way like any .xinitrc file, mine says:

$ cat /home/joana/.vnc/xstartup
#!/bin/sh
exec startkde

- boot up the VNC X-Server again which now comes up with KDE desktop
as well (per default it comes up with 'twm' and 'xterm' which does
not look so nice :-))

- from your own KDE (or whatever) connect to 'joana' desktop with

$ vnc2swf joana.swf :1

type in the password stored with the VNC X-Server and you will get
'joana' desktop in a big window on your desktop; the tool 'vnc2swf'
acts like a normal VNC viewer, but pressing key F9 will start the
capturing into the file 'joana.swf'

move it later over to a webspace and play it with your browser Konqueror,
Firefox or whatever...

really nice tool!