Can't work out which disk we are booting from.

1 view

Pedro Almeida

Feb 28, 2008, 7:18:45 AM2/28/08
to freebsd-...@freebsd.org
I upgraded my system from 6.2 to 7.0 using cvsup.
I'm using ULE and device polling. After doing make installworld and
reboot, the system
don't boot anymore. I have some variables in make.conf, but I don't know
if this the cause of the problem.
CPUTYPE?=p3
CFLAGS= -O2 -pipe -funroll-loops -ffast-math
COPTFLAGS= -O2 -pipe -funroll-loops -ffast-math
Any ideas of how to fix this? Thanks a lot

Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
Guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to disk0:
panic: free: guard1 fail @ 0x6c23c
from /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/loader/../../common/module.c:959
press any key to reboot

gzi...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2008, 1:35:02 PM2/28/08
Absolutely the same problem. Can somebody help?

esogs

Mar 5, 2008, 4:01:34 PM3/5/08
On Feb 28, 11:35 am, gzi...@gmail.com wrote:
> Absolutely the same problem. Can somebody help?

Had similar problem, here is what I found:

Something in the /boot/loader was wrong. If I either booted from fix-
it CD or got to a boot prompt by escaping before the error came up, I
could boot:

boot: /boot/loader.old

(or, from fix-it cd, check the drive, then mount read write, then go
to the /boot directory of the mount and

mv loader to loader.sav
cp loader.old loader

Then reboot).

This then allowed me to at least boot up, checking now for what might
have been different in the loaders.

My disk and raid card setup:

Adaptec RAID 2000s Mirror 1 (although this really didn't matter as far
as I can tell in the boot problem, just adding for info), Using scsi
drives.

mwill...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2008, 11:25:26 AM3/13/08
I have the same problem after upgrading to 7.0-STABLE from 6.3-
STABLE.
On another site I found a comment about "Bad CFLAGS in make.conf"

I haven't tested this because I only have ssh access, but I'll try
when I'm home.

Have you found a solution to this problem, yet ?

martin

esogs

Mar 14, 2008, 11:26:41 AM3/14/08
On Mar 13, 9:25 am, mwillem...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have the same problem after upgrading to 7.0-STABLE from 6.3-
> STABLE.
> On another site I found a comment about "Bad CFLAGS in make.conf"
>
> I haven't tested this because I only have ssh access, but I'll try
> when I'm home.
>
> Have you found a solution to this problem, yet ?

I haven't found the solution entirely, but:

1. After I rebooted from loader.old
2. Rebuild all my ports (to pick up the new libraries in 7.0) (take a
long time)
3. run make delete-old-libs. Note, this is kind of evil, any ports
you have built that look for these old libs will likely fail unless
you have rebuilt.
You CAN use /etc/libmap.conf to get around some problems by mapping
the old libraries to the new ones, but you risk running into problems
down the road,
so I would suggest only doing temporary mappings here.

Then, when I recompiled the kernel, loader started to work.

So, I think it must have been picking up a stale library from 6... I
don't have a direct fix, but this work-around worked for me.