Re: megacli and PERC5 (PowerEdge 1950) on 6.2

Mike

Jun 1, 2007, 3:19:53 AM6/1/07
to freebsd-...@freebsd.org, lava...@spiritual-machines.org
Hi,

The following patch have been applied to my FreeBSD 6.2 system (amd64, PowerEdge 2950 box):

http://patch.zabbadoz.net/freebsd/patchset/EXPERIMENTAL/20070319-01-mfi-MFC.diff

Now, I call 'megacli -AdpAllInfo -aALL' and I get working output like:

Adapter #0

Versions
================
Product Name : PERC 5/i Integrated
Serial No : 12345
FW Package Build: 5.1.1-0040
FW Version : 1.03.10-0216
BIOS Version : MT28
Ctrl-R Version :1.04-017A

Pending Images In Flash
================
None

PCI Info
================
Vendor Id : 1028
Device Id : 0015
SubVendorId : 1028
SubDeviceId : 1f03

Host Interface : PCIE

Number of Frontend Port: 0
Device Interface : PCIE

Number of Backend Port: 8
Port : Address
0 5000c50001fe8535
1 5000c50001fd1fd9
2 5000c50001fe7879
3 5000c50001fe37fd
4 0000000000000000
5 5000c50001fe76d9
6 0000000000000000
7 0000000000000000

HW Configuration
================
SAS Address : 500188b04f104a00
BBU : Present
Alarm : Absent
NVRAM : Present
Serial Debugger : Present
Memory : Present
Flash : Present

Settings
================
Current Time : 10:8:55 6/1, 2007
Predictive Fail Poll Interval : 300sec
Interrupt Throttle Active Count : 16
Interrupt Throttle Completion : 50us
Rebuild Rate : 30%
PR Rate : 30%
Resynch Rate : 30%
Check Consistency Rate : 30%
Reconstruction Rate : 30%
Cache flush interval : 4s
Max drives to spinup at one time : 2
Delay among spinup groups : 12s
Physical drive coercion mode : 128MB
Cluster mode : Disabled
Alarm : Disabled
Auto Rebuild : Enabled
Battery Warning : Enabled

Ecc Bucket Size : 15
Ecc Bucket Leak Rate : 1440 Minutes
Restore HotSpare On Insertion : Disabled
Expose Enclosure Devices : Disabled
Maintain PD Fail History : Disabled
Host Request Reordering : Enabled

Capabilities
================
RAID Level Supported : RAID0, RAID1, RAID5, RAID10, RAID50
Supported Drives : SAS, SATA

Allowed Mixing:
Mix In Enclosure Allowed

Status
================
ECC Bucket Count : 0

Limitations
================
Max Arms Per VD : 32
Max Spans Per VD : 8
Max Arrays : 128
Max Number of VDs : 64
Max Parallel Commands : 1008
Max SGE Count : 80
Max Data Transfer Size : 8192 sectors
Max Strips PerIO : 84
Min Stripe Size : 8kB
Max Stripe Size : 128kB

Device Present
================
Virtual Drives : 1
Degraded : 0
Offline : 0
Physical Devices : 6
Disks : 5
Critical Disks : 0
Failed Disks : 0

Supported Adapter Operations
================
Rebuild Rate : Yes
CC Rate : Yes
BGI Rate : Yes
Reconstruct Rate : Yes
Patrol Read Rate : Yes
Alarm Control : Yes
Cluster Support : No
BBU : Yes
Spanning : Yes
Dedicated Hot Spare : Yes
revertible Hot Spares : No
Foreign Config Import : Yes
Self Diagnostic : Yes
Allow Mixed Redundancy On Array : No
Global Hot Spares : Yes
Deny SCSI Passthrough : No
Deny SMP Passthrough : No
Deny STP Passthrough : No

Supported VD Operations
================
Read Policy : Yes
Write Policy : Yes
IO Policy : Yes
Access Policy : Yes
Disk Cache Policy : Yes
Reconstruction : Yes
Deny Locate : No
Deny CC : No

Supported PD Operations
================
Force Online : Yes
Force Offline : Yes
Force Rebuild : Yes
Deny Force Failed : No
Deny Force Good/Bad : No
Deny Missing Replace : No
Deny Clear : No
Deny Locate : No

Error Counters
================
Memory Correctable Errors : 0
Memory Uncorrectable Errors : 0

Cluster Information
================
Cluster Permitted : No
Cluster Active : No

Default Settings
================
Phy Polarity : 0
Phy PolaritySplit : 0
Backgroud Rate : 30
Stripe Size : 64kB
Flush Time : 4 seconds
Write Policy : WB
Read Policy : None
Cache When BBU Bad : Disabled
Cached IO : No
SMART Mode : Mode 6
Alarm Disable : No
Coercion Mode : 128MB
ZCR Config : IDSEL
Dirty LED Shows Drive Activity : No
BIOS Continue On Error : No
Spin Down Mode : None
Allowed Device Type : SAS/SATA Mix
Allow Mix In Enclosure : Yes
Allow Mix In VD : No
Allow SATA In Cluster : No
Max Chained Enclosures : 1
Disable Ctrl-R : No
Enable Web BIOS : No
Direct PD Mapping : No
BIOS Enumerate VDs : No
Restore Hot Spare On Insertion : No
Expose Enclosure Devices : No
Maintain PD Fail History : No

--
Sincerely,
Mike

Brian A. Seklecki

Jun 1, 2007, 1:08:24 PM6/1/07
to Mike, freebsd-...@freebsd.org

Trying this on a brand new PE2950 w/ the latest firmware... ~BAS

l8*
-lava (Brian A. Seklecki - Pittsburgh, PA, USA)
http://www.spiritual-machines.org/

"Guilty? Yeah. But he knows it. I mean, you're guilty.
You just don't know it. So who's really in jail?"
~James Maynard Keenan

Brian A. Seklecki

Jun 1, 2007, 2:29:32 PM6/1/07
to pa...@zabbadoz.net, freebsd-...@freebsd.org, lava...@spiritual-machines.org
I'm buying free beer in unsound quantities for the commiter of this
patch. And for the author, well... that's best discussed offline >:}

[seklecki@db06 ~]$ sudo megacli -AdpAllInfo -aALL
Password:

Adapter #0

Versions
================
Product Name : PERC 5/i Integrated
Serial No : 12345
FW Package Build: 5.1.1-0040
FW Version : 1.03.10-0216
BIOS Version : MT28
Ctrl-R Version :1.04-017A

Pending Images In Flash
================
None

PCI Info
================
Vendor Id : 1028
Device Id : 0015
SubVendorId : 1028
SubDeviceId : 1f03

Host Interface : PCIE

Number of Frontend Port: 0
Device Interface : PCIE

Number of Backend Port: 8
Port : Address

0 5000c500005dad19
1 5000c500005da6e9
2 5000c50001cf9301
3 5000c50001cfb2c1
4 5000c500049065cd
5 5000c50001cf9d61
6 0000000000000000
7 0000000000000000

HW Configuration
================
SAS Address : 50019b90cb771f00

BBU : Present
Alarm : Absent
NVRAM : Present
Serial Debugger : Present
Memory : Present
Flash : Present

Settings
================
Current Time : 14:26:27 6/1, 2007

Device Present
================
Virtual Drives : 2
Degraded : 0
Offline : 0
Physical Devices : 7
Disks : 6

--
Brian A. Seklecki <bsek...@collaborativefusion.com>
Collaborative Fusion, Inc.

IMPORTANT: This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If the reader of this message is not an intended recipient (or the individual responsible for the delivery of this message to an intended recipient), please be advised that any re-use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

Brian A. Seklecki

Jun 1, 2007, 3:15:28 PM6/1/07
to Brian A. Seklecki, pa...@zabbadoz.net, freebsd-...@freebsd.org

amd64/113232 opened

~BAS

Jonathan Delgado

Jun 7, 2007, 11:54:47 AM6/7/07
to freebsd-...@freebsd.org, Brian A. Seklecki
The patches seem to have made their way into 6_RELENG yesterday
(6/6/07).

I did a fresh rebuild on one of my 1950s with 6_RELENG and it seems
to now work as expected. Hopefully this makes it's way into the next
release. I don't follow things close enough to get a sense of if this
is the type of change that could get merged into 6.2 (it would be
nice though).

On a quasi-related note, I'm not how many people out there are using
MegaCli in order to do some Nagios-based monitoring, but I wrote my
own humble Nagios plugin for it and it is at http://www.techno-
obscura.com/~delgado/weblog/archives/2007/06/check_megaraid.html
(there is a check_perc5i plugin on Nagios Exchange, but I had issues
with it so I wrote my own). I have been using it with my Linux
systems so far, but look forwarding to being able to slap it on our
new FreeBSD boxes now.

-Jonathan

--
Jonathan Delgado, Systems Manager
Molecular Biology Labs, Massachusetts General Hospital

Brian A. Seklecki

Jun 12, 2007, 6:55:34 PM6/12/07
to Jonathan Delgado, nic...@cpan.org, freebsd-...@freebsd.org
On Thu, 2007-06-07 at 11:54 -0400, Jonathan Delgado wrote:
> The patches seem to have made their way into 6_RELENG yesterday
> (6/6/07).
>
> I did a fresh rebuild on one of my 1950s with 6_RELENG and it seems
> to now work as expected. Hopefully this makes it's way into the next
> release. I don't follow things close enough to get a sense of if this
> is the type of change that could get merged into 6.2 (it would be
> nice though).
>
> On a quasi-related note, I'm not how many people out there are using
> MegaCli in order to do some Nagios-based monitoring, but I wrote my
> own humble Nagios plugin for it and it is at http://www.techno-
> obscura.com/~delgado/weblog/archives/2007/06/check_megaraid.html
> (there is a check_perc5i plugin on Nagios Exchange, but I had issues

I actually updated Nicola's code to make it work on FreeBSD/amd64:

http://www.nagiosexchange.org/Hardware.56.0.html?&tx_netnagext_pi1[page]=10%3A10

I posted my changes back to nagiosexchange, as I encourage you
(Jonathan) to do so the same (hopefully the Apache license is okay with
this):

http://www.nagiosexchange.org/Hardware.56.0.html?&tx_netnagext_pi1[p_view]=1007&tx_netnagext_pi1[page]=10%3A10

~BAS

P.S. Nicola, nick Dick Cheney post on your blog. Also, be sure to check
out "Jose Chung’s From Outer Space". Season 3, Episode 20.

~BAS