KDE won't allow me to logout and restart kdm after upgrade to xorg 7.3

Andrew Falanga

Jan 18, 2008, 10:51:28 PM1/18/08
to FreeBSD Questions
Hi,

About two months ago (yes, I'm only now getting around to fixing this), I
decided it was time to upgrade my Xorg install from 6.9 to the current. I
followed the instructions in /usr/ports/UPDATING from 20070519. After the
upgrade, everything was going ok, until I logged out of KDE. I ended the
session and was redirected to ttyv0. The following was on the system
console:

Jan 18 20:22:36 sniper kdm-bin[788]: X server for display :0 terminated
unexpectedly
Jan 18 20:22:36 sniper kdm-bin: :0[948]: IO Error in XOpenDisplay
Jan 18 20:22:36 sniper kdm-bin[788]: Display :0 cannot be opened
Jan 18 20:22:36 sniper kdm-bin[788]: Unable to fire up local display :0;
disabling.

I then went to another console and, as root, did:

sniper# sockstat | grep x
root kdm-bin 788 9 stream /var/run/xdmctl/dmctl/socket

Which cleared out whatever was wrong and restarted kdm-bin and allowed me to
start another session. What exactly is going on here? The reason it isn't
too big a deal, and took me until now to mention it is because I'm about the
only person who uses FreeBSD here at home and so when I logout, it's usually
to shut off the computer.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Andy

jba...@mcw.edu

Feb 20, 2008, 3:56:15 PM2/20/08

I'm having the same issue, but with a twist that might shed some
light:

I've installed 6.3-RELEASE with everything built from the latest ports
(as of about 2 weeks ago) on 4 different machines. Everything worked
fine until I added

kern.maxdsiz="800M"

to /boot/loader.conf. I tried several other values, such as "1G",
"768M", and "600M", with the same result. All 4 machines have 1G RAM,
and they all have the same problem. The machines are completely
different hardware, BTW. 1 Dell and 3 clones with various ASUS
motherboards. Some with nVidia cards, and some without. I also tried
changing nvidia driver version and completely disabling nvidia. No
luck. This is obviously not a hardware-specific issue.

In all cases, if I remove the maxdsiz alteration and reboot,
everything is fine again. This is a serious issue for us, since we
run memory intensive fMRI analysis programs that require up to 2G RAM
at times.

Thanks,

Jason

jba...@mcw.edu

Feb 22, 2008, 6:20:01 PM2/22/08

I found a workaround in PR

ports/117195: ix11/Xorg 7.3 dumps core at exit (sig 11)

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=117195&cat=

At least in my case, the kdm issue was caused by a HAL-related problem
in Xorg.

Regards,

Jason