HOWTO wireless please.

Marwan Sultan

Jul 20, 2006, 12:34:11 PM7/20/06
to freebsd-...@freebsd.org
Hello gurus,

Can someone help me setting up my wireless device on my laptop
im on 6.1R, I tried to do as instructed on handbook, but no luck.
My laptop suppose to be the client, and i have a netgear wireless modem
router up and running.
How to make the freebsd see the router have the ip, and make the device up?

from dmesg
ugen0: Broadcom Corp HP Integrated Module

The following is the output of ifconfig -a
# ifconfig -a

fwe0:
flags=108943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,NEEDSGIANT> mtu
1500
options=8<VLAN_MTU>
inet6 fe80::603f:2ff:fe6c:4184%fwe0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 255.255.255.255
ether 62:3f:02:6c:41:84
ch 1 dma 0
fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
options=8<VLAN_MTU>
inet6 fe80::216:d4ff:fe01:617e%fxp0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
inet 192.168.0.14 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
ether 00:16:d4:01:61:7e
status: active
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

the following is in /etc/rc.conf (i think there is something wrong)

ifconfig_fwe0="DHCP"
dhcp_program="/sbin/dhclient"
ddhcp_flags=""

the following is compiles in the kernel
wlan
an
awi
ral
wi
wlan_wep
wlan_ccmp
wlan_tkip
wl As i have been told that fwe0 is not the wireless device, then how to
show it up?
compiled the kernel to some modifications as i wrote here, but no luck,
Will kindly someone help me, as im new to wireless and bsd.

Marwan

Garrett Cooper

Jul 20, 2006, 1:06:30 PM7/20/06
to freebsd-...@freebsd.org
Marwan,
fwe0 is your ethernet over IEEE1394 (firewire) connection. According
to the information above you don't have your wireless interface even
present, ie ugen0 was not present in the ifconfig output you have listed
above.
-Garrett

Garrett Cooper

Jul 20, 2006, 1:12:40 PM7/20/06
to freebsd-...@freebsd.org
Here are some good relevant comments about your chipset:
<http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-27794.html>, and
you should refer to this page
(<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wireless.html>
: Chapter 27.3) instead of the chapter mentioned in the bsdforums thread
I gave earlier.
-Garrett

doug

Jul 20, 2006, 1:25:17 PM7/20/06
to Garrett Cooper, freebsd-...@freebsd.org

> -Garrette

Also the handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/advanced-networking.html

With no wep I think your rc.conf is ok, if you use wep:

ifconfig_ugen0="wepmode on deftxkey 1 wepkey 0x<key> DHCP

assuming you are using FreeBSD 5 or 6, you can dynamically load all the drivers
using /boot/loader.conf. For my laptop (a thinkpad T42p) I have:

snd_ich_load="YES"
if_ipw_load="YES"
wlan_load="YES"
wlan_wep_load="YES"
acpi_ibm_load="YES"

That saves rebuilding the kernel to add the ugen device, assuming it is not
there.

Marwan Sultan

Jul 20, 2006, 2:03:00 PM7/20/06
to yous...@u.washington.edu, freebsd-...@freebsd.org, do...@fledge.watson.org
Hello Garrett,
Hello doug,

In
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wireless.html
it doesnot explain how to setup ugen0 device or any wireless device for a
client, insted it says
"First, make sure your system can see the wireless card:"

However, in ifconfig -a
it doesnot show any wireless device as you wrote Garrett, but the firewire
and nic device,
then how come in the dmesg it can read the ugen0

However, anyone can give me a steps of how to showup my wireless device?
I tried to add the following in /boot/loader.conf
wlan_load="YES"
wlan_wep_load="YES"

but it doesnt load my device and ifconfig -a will show the same

Will you please, help me setting my wireless device up?
any configuration i should do?

regards
Marwan

doug

Jul 20, 2006, 2:41:01 PM7/20/06
to Marwan Sultan, freebsd-...@freebsd.org

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006, Marwan Sultan wrote:

> Hello Garrett,
> Hello doug,
>
> In
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wireless.html
> it doesnot explain how to setup ugen0 device or any wireless device for a
> client, insted it says
> "First, make sure your system can see the wireless card:"
>
> However, in ifconfig -a
> it doesnot show any wireless device as you wrote Garrett, but the firewire
> and nic device,
> then how come in the dmesg it can read the ugen0
>
> However, anyone can give me a steps of how to showup my wireless device?
> I tried to add the following in /boot/loader.conf
> wlan_load="YES"
> wlan_wep_load="YES"
>
> but it doesnt load my device and ifconfig -a will show the same
>
> Will you please, help me setting my wireless device up?
> any configuration i should do?

You did not mention Garrett's reference:
http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-27794.html. If may be that
your card requires you to manually load the firmware as did the Intel card on my
laptop. At some point RTFM becomes a necessity. Here is the road map I
followed:

1) Make sure the hardware works. The easiest way to do this is to boot to
windows. If you make your system a FreeBSD only, thats a whole other thread.

2) Make sure your card is in the supported list. If it is and ugen is the
appropriate drive: man ugen.

3) google your card by name and chipset. The things you find for Linux and the
other BSDs will probably be helpful at the driver level.

4) The output from dmesg and pciconf -v may help. Turning on verbose mode in
boot may also help.

5) Search the archives on the freebsd mobile and hardware lists. Search
questions for ugen in the subject.

6) If all the above fails there is a drive that runs the native windows drivers.
Project evil I think on sourceforge.

I personally favor running the generic kernel and using kldload and kldstat to
figure out what drivers you really need, then loading them at boot time with
loader.conf.

As I do not have any laptops that use ugen I can not give you specific advise. I
hope the above is sorta what you were looking for and helps. You never mentioned
what laptop you have, I assume HP from the dmesg. The HP site might actually
help, they support FreeBSD, or so I have been told.

g'luck

Jonathan Fosburgh

Jul 20, 2006, 2:40:01 PM7/20/06
to freebsd-...@freebsd.org, yous...@u.washington.edu, do...@fledge.watson.org, Marwan Sultan
On Thursday 20 July 2006 13:03, Marwan Sultan wrote:
> Hello Garrett,
> Hello doug,
>
> In
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wireless.
>html it doesnot explain how to setup ugen0 device or any wireless device for

> a client, insted it says
> "First, make sure your system can see the wireless card:"
>
> However, in ifconfig -a
> it doesnot show any wireless device as you wrote Garrett, but the
> firewire and nic device,
> then how come in the dmesg it can read the ugen0

ugen0 is a generic USB device, not a NIC. Perhaps you want to load the ural
device. Try kldload ural and see if you get a new network device (ural0).
Since the NIC is being detected as ugen you might need to have the ural
device load before the ugen device (or remove ugen from your kernel config,
if you don't need it).

--
Jonathan Fosburgh
AIX and Storage Administrator

Bob Johnson

Jul 20, 2006, 3:30:13 PM7/20/06
On 7/20/06, Marwan Sultan <dead...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello gurus,
>
> Can someone help me setting up my wireless device on my laptop
> im on 6.1R, I tried to do as instructed on handbook, but no luck.
> My laptop suppose to be the client, and i have a netgear wireless modem
> router up and running.
> How to make the freebsd see the router have the ip, and make the device up?
>
> from dmesg
> ugen0: Broadcom Corp HP Integrated Module

ugen is the generic usb device driver that gets attached if a specific
driver for the device is not available. I don't think you will be able
to do anything useful with it (it seems to be intended more for
developers to use while experimenting with a device).

There is a tool called ndiscvt that will take a Windows NDIS device
driver and wrap it up in an interface that allows it to be used as a
FreeBSD driver. Most likely, you will need to do that to get your
interface working. Instructions are in section 27.3.3.6.3 of the
FreeBSD Handbook (buried in one of the sections someone has already
mentioned: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wireless.html

In 6.1 there is a script called ndisgen that automates the process
described in the Handbook. You will probably find it much easier to
read its man page and use it instead of using ndiscvt directly. The
instructions amount to "become root, run ndisgen, do what it says."

Once you have successfully built and loaded the NDIS driver, it will
by default show up as ndis0 when you do an ifconfig. Once that
happens, the rest should be easy.

- Bob

John Nielsen

Jul 20, 2006, 3:34:04 PM7/20/06
to freebsd-...@freebsd.org, Bob Johnson, Marwan Sultan
On Thursday 20 July 2006 15:30, Bob Johnson wrote:
> On 7/20/06, Marwan Sultan <dead...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello gurus,
> >
> > Can someone help me setting up my wireless device on my laptop
> > im on 6.1R, I tried to do as instructed on handbook, but no luck.
> > My laptop suppose to be the client, and i have a netgear wireless modem
> > router up and running.
> > How to make the freebsd see the router have the ip, and make the device
> > up?
> >
> > from dmesg
> > ugen0: Broadcom Corp HP Integrated Module
>
> ugen is the generic usb device driver that gets attached if a specific
> driver for the device is not available. I don't think you will be able
> to do anything useful with it (it seems to be intended more for
> developers to use while experimenting with a device).
>
> There is a tool called ndiscvt that will take a Windows NDIS device
> driver and wrap it up in an interface that allows it to be used as a
> FreeBSD driver. Most likely, you will need to do that to get your
> interface working. Instructions are in section 27.3.3.6.3 of the
> FreeBSD Handbook (buried in one of the sections someone has already
> mentioned:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wireless.
>html

You hint at this below, but ndiscvt should no longer be run by the user.

> In 6.1 there is a script called ndisgen that automates the process
> described in the Handbook. You will probably find it much easier to
> read its man page and use it instead of using ndiscvt directly. The
> instructions amount to "become root, run ndisgen, do what it says."

Unfortunately, the developer of the ndis drive has specifically stated that
USB is not (yet) supported.

> Once you have successfully built and loaded the NDIS driver, it will
> by default show up as ndis0 when you do an ifconfig. Once that
> happens, the rest should be easy.

JN

Marwan Sultan

Jul 21, 2006, 3:18:40 AM7/21/06
to freebsd-...@freebsd.org, freebsd...@freebsd.org, fbsd...@gmail.com, li...@jnielsen.net, yous...@u.washington.edu, do...@fledge.watson.org
Hello Guys,

now im so missed with my wireless settings,
I tried almost everything everyone has suggested.
output of kldstat
# kldstat
Id Refs Address Size Name
1 20 0xc0400000 69605c kernel
2 1 0xc0a97000 fa20 if_ath.ko
3 3 0xc0aa7000 3015c ath_hal.ko
4 2 0xc0ad8000 3fbc ath_rate.ko
5 1 0xc0adc000 58554 acpi.ko
6 1 0xc5080000 16000 linux.ko
7 1 0xc6d61000 1d2000 w39n51_sys.ko
8 1 0xc6f33000 b000 if_ndis.ko
9 2 0xc6f3e000 13000 ndis.ko

loader.conf has the follow

if_ath_load="YES"

I even tried uploaded the .inf and .sys files and did the
ndiscvt -i W32DRIVER.INF -s W32DRIVER.SYS -o ndis_driver_data.h
then installed the driver module,
nothing isthere!!

I built the kernel with almost all the drivers i saw anywhere.. and still
ifconfig -a showing
fwe0: flags=108802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,NEEDSGIANT> mtu 1500
options=8<VLAN_MTU>

ether 62:3f:02:6c:41:84

ch 1 dma -1

fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
options=8<VLAN_MTU>
inet6 fe80::216:d4ff:fe01:617e%fxp0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
inet 192.168.0.14 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
ether 00:16:d4:01:61:7e
status: active
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

ALso i tried the ndisgen way, to convert, and it built the driver as
w39n51_sys.ko and i kldloaded

# kldload /usr/home/admin/w39n51_sys.ko
after issuing this command, no devices showedup in ifconfig -a and
this is the result in /var/log/messages

kernel: ndis0: <Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection> mem
0xd2100000-0xd2100fff irq 18 at device 0.0 on pci6
kernel: ndis0: couldn't map memory
kernel: device_attach: ndis0 attach returned 6

There is no wireless devices showing..! :(
Again its HP pavilion dv5178us
the wireless is a builtin, and its Broadcom Corp HP Integrated module.

Im attached a file of my dmesg output,
I wish someone have any solution for this..

Note:
I googled... and found nothing, i eat the words in
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wireless.
and there is no case like this:)

-Marwan

dmesg.txt

Erik Norgaard

Jul 21, 2006, 3:52:10 AM7/21/06
to Marwan Sultan, do...@fledge.watson.org, fbsd...@gmail.com, yous...@u.washington.edu, freebsd...@freebsd.org, li...@jnielsen.net, freebsd-...@freebsd.org
Marwan Sultan wrote:

> ALso i tried the ndisgen way, to convert, and it built the driver as
> w39n51_sys.ko and i kldloaded
>
> # kldload /usr/home/admin/w39n51_sys.ko
> after issuing this command, no devices showedup in ifconfig -a and
> this is the result in /var/log/messages
>
> kernel: ndis0: <Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection> mem
> 0xd2100000-0xd2100fff irq 18 at device 0.0 on pci6
> kernel: ndis0: couldn't map memory
> kernel: device_attach: ndis0 attach returned 6
>
> There is no wireless devices showing..! :(
> Again its HP pavilion dv5178us
> the wireless is a builtin, and its Broadcom Corp HP Integrated module.

This seems to indicate that your interface is the Intel 3945ABG chipset
which gives you the keywords you need to search for a driver. IIRC one
is in development, they are still discussing how to name it. Previous
chipsets use the ipw and iwi driver, check this website:

http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/ipw/

Also, they mention the need to install ports/net/iwi-firmware-kmod

Cheers, Erik
--
Ph: +34.666334818 web: http://www.locolomo.org
X.509 Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/8D03551FFCE04F0C.crt