Problems with OpenOffice 2.3.1 on FreeBSD

O. Hartmann

Jan 1, 2008, 8:15:40 AM1/1/08
to freebsd-...@freebsd.org, freebs...@freebsd.org
I use OpenOffice 2.3.1 on several hardwareplatforms running FreeBSD
7.0-PRE/AMD64 and since I upgraded OpenOffice from OO 2.3.0 to 2.3.1 I
have massive problems, rendering OO unusuable! Before doing a PR I would
like to aks whethere there is a solution out.
Whenever I try to save a document in OO writer, OO gets stuck and I have
to kill it. The document gets saved, but I never can load it again
without rendering OO unusuable. Opening M$ Word docs or OO docs doesn't
matter.
This breakage is identical on all of my systems I run OO 2.3.1 on, they
all have in common running FreeBSD 7.0-PRE, being 64 Bit, having
diablo-1.5-JDK installed. This behaviour even occurs on a freshly
installed box.

Any ideas? This is a serious situation to me, due to the need of a
properly working OO :-(

Regards,
Oliver

Philipp Ost

Jan 1, 2008, 9:39:58 AM1/1/08
to O. Hartmann, freebsd-...@freebsd.org, freebs...@freebsd.org
O. Hartmann wrote:
[...]

> Whenever I try to save a document in OO writer, OO gets stuck and I have
> to kill it. The document gets saved, but I never can load it again
> without rendering OO unusuable. Opening M$ Word docs or OO docs doesn't
> matter.

I have similar problems with OpenOffice 2.3.1 on FreeBSD/i386 (I'm
running 7.0-PRE as of Dec 23). It's possible to save documents but
exiting OOo hangs and I need to kill it. Firing up OOo once again,
there's this "recovery stuff" which hangs also and eats up CPU time.
Only way out: kill -9 $PID
Opening a document via 'File -> Open -> ...' hangs also. .odt or .doc
doesn't matter.

> Any ideas? This is a serious situation to me, due to the need of a
> properly working OO :-(

No, perhaps using an other word processor (AbiWord, StarOffice). Or
going back to OOo 2.3.0...

Regards,
Philipp

O. Hartmann

Robert Huff

Jan 1, 2008, 10:41:57 AM1/1/08
to Philipp Ost, O. Hartmann, freebsd-...@freebsd.org, freebs...@freebsd.org

Philipp Ost writes:

> > Any ideas? This is a serious situation to me, due to the need of a
> > properly working OO :-(
>

> No, perhaps using an other word processor (AbiWord, StarOffice). Or
> going back to OOo 2.3.0...

This has been discussed within the last two weeks on the
openoffice@ list. A message from Peter Jeremy on December 14
contains both information about the cause and a patch.

Robert Huff

Predrag Punosevac

Jan 1, 2008, 2:55:42 PM1/1/08
to Robert Huff, Philipp Ost, O. Hartmann, freebsd-...@freebsd.org, freebs...@freebsd.org

I am not an OpenOffice user but my 2c about the topic as the problem I
think underline more serous issue.

The question is why is OpenOffice 2.3.1 included in the ports three so
quickly without making sure that things work properly.
BSD systems are genuinely known for their stability and code correctness
which is why most people decided to use them on the first place.
Rushing to include new software in the ports three without proper
testing is seriously going to damage usability of the whole OS.
In my understanding ports tree is supporting stable and the current
brunch. I am of the opinion that the ports three of the stable
branch should not include nothing but the rock solid and tested
software. The easiest way for me to check if the port is bleeding
edge that is to try to install the same software using binaries.
(pkg_add -r) If the binaries do not exist or if the version installed
from binaries is older that clearly indicates that the port version is
too new to be trusted.

I personally found out that Xfce4-panel is not compiling properly on
stable and also Orage (calendar for Xfce) While
problems with Xfce4-panel are not as serious as with Orage (which is
not usable in any shape or form on FreeBSD) they are still serious.
The same packages work flawlessly on the OpenBSD.

Happy New Year to Everybody

Predrag

Predrag Punosevac

Jan 1, 2008, 3:09:03 PM1/1/08
Philipp Ost wrote:
> O. Hartmann wrote:
> [...]

>> Whenever I try to save a document in OO writer, OO gets stuck and I
>> have to kill it. The document gets saved, but I never can load it
>> again without rendering OO unusuable. Opening M$ Word docs or OO docs
>> doesn't matter.
>
> I have similar problems with OpenOffice 2.3.1 on FreeBSD/i386 (I'm
> running 7.0-PRE as of Dec 23). It's possible to save documents but
> exiting OOo hangs and I need to kill it. Firing up OOo once again,
> there's this "recovery stuff" which hangs also and eats up CPU time.
> Only way out: kill -9 $PID
> Opening a document via 'File -> Open -> ...' hangs also. .odt or .doc
> doesn't matter.
>

>> Any ideas? This is a serious situation to me, due to the need of a
>> properly working OO :-(
>
> No, perhaps using an other word processor (AbiWord, StarOffice). Or
> going back to OOo 2.3.0...
>

> Regards,
> Philipp

Stephen Montgomery-Smith

Jan 1, 2008, 3:21:43 PM1/1/08
to Predrag Punosevac, Philipp Ost, O. Hartmann, freebsd-...@freebsd.org, freebs...@freebsd.org

The problem is that ports is maintained by volunteers who are mostly
outside of any kind of freebsd core team. I think it is unrealistic to
ask port committers to check anything more than to check that the ports
build properly.

My personal wish list is that opencascade builds on FreeBSD-7 with the
new stlport, and that octave-forge not be in its current "IGNORE" state.
But I fully appreciate that I must either wait, or help make it happen.

Stephen

Peter Jeremy

Jan 1, 2008, 2:29:16 PM1/1/08
On Tue, Jan 01, 2008 at 10:41:57AM -0500, Robert Huff wrote:
> This has been discussed within the last two weeks on the
>openoffice@ list. A message from Peter Jeremy on December 14
>contains both information about the cause and a patch.

My patch was for a different problem - related to OOo not opening
any files. I'm not currently in a position to verify but I don't
believe that the patch I made is related to O.Hartmann's problem.

--
Peter Jeremy

Thierry Thomas

Jan 1, 2008, 3:32:56 PM1/1/08
to Stephen Montgomery-Smith, freebsd-...@freebsd.org, freebs...@freebsd.org
Le Mar 1 jan 08 à 21:21:43 +0100, Stephen Montgomery-Smith <ste...@math.missouri.edu>
écrivait :

> My personal wish list is that opencascade builds on FreeBSD-7 with the
> new stlport, and that octave-forge not be in its current "IGNORE" state.
> But I fully appreciate that I must either wait, or help make it happen.

A patch is ready for that, and is available at

<http://people.freebsd.org/~thierry/ports/opencascade.diff>

but I cannot commit it right now: it will fail without the patch
included in PR ports/118958. That means that we have to wait untill the
ports tree is totally unfrozen.

Best regards,
--
Th. Thomas.

Robert Huff

Jan 1, 2008, 2:31:49 PM1/1/08
to Peter Jeremy, Philipp Ost, O. Hartmann, Robert Huff, freebsd-...@freebsd.org, freebs...@freebsd.org
Peter Jeremy writes:

> > This has been discussed within the last two weeks on the
> >openoffice@ list. A message from Peter Jeremy on December 14
> >contains both information about the cause and a patch.
>
> My patch was for a different problem - related to OOo not opening
> any files. I'm not currently in a position to verify but I don't
> believe that the patch I made is related to O.Hartmann's problem.

"I just turned around and there conclusions were."
Sorry about that.

Robert Huff

Ted Mittelstaedt

Feb 2, 2008, 7:49:13 PM2/2/08
to Thierry Thomas, Stephen Montgomery-Smith, freebsd-...@freebsd.org, freebs...@freebsd.org
Hi Thierry,

Just checking, since the ports tree is unfrozen have all the
patches to OO been applied to fix these problems?

Ted

> Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
> 1/16/2008 12:00 AM

Jeremy Messenger

Feb 2, 2008, 9:40:44 PM2/2/08
to Ted Mittelstaedt, Thierry Thomas, Stephen Montgomery-Smith, freebsd-...@freebsd.org, freebs...@freebsd.org
On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 18:49:13 -0600, Ted Mittelstaedt
<te...@toybox.placo.com> wrote:

> Hi Thierry,
>
> Just checking, since the ports tree is unfrozen have all the

The ports tree still isn't complete unfreeze until 7.0 release. I don't
know about OO stuff, so I will let someone to answer to it.

Cheers,
Mezz

--
me...@cox.net - me...@FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD GNOME Team - FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)

stom...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2008, 4:55:03 AM2/10/08
On Feb 3, 1:49 am, "Ted Mittelstaedt" <t...@toybox.placo.com> wrote:
> Hi Thierry,
>
> Just checking, since the ports tree is unfrozen have all the
> patches to OO been applied to fix these problems?

Note that this problem has been "fixed". Set
"OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=gnome" (setenv OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP gnome/export
OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=gnome, as apropriate) in the environment before
starting OpenOffice. Ref. http://www.nabble.com/Re:-GLib-GObject-CRITICAL-td13904374.html

-- Trond

myheartinamerica

Feb 20, 2008, 10:51:09 PM2/20/08
> Set "OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=gnome"

Thanks a lot. That has fixed the issues for me.