testing rnoland's xorg upgrade patch -- error

Eitan Adler

Jan 8, 2009, 4:59:00 PM1/8/09
to freebsd-ports, x...@freebsd.org, rno...@freebsd.org
I applied this patch:
http://people.freebsd.org/~rnoland/xorg-7.4-111608.patch

I then tried upgrading via portmaster -vra
and I also tried upgrading manually

when installing x11-servers/xorg-server I get the following error
gnome-config: not found
configure: error: Package requirements (x11 xext xxf86vm xdamage xfixes
x11-xcb xcb-glx) were not met:

No package 'x11-xcb' found
No package 'xcb-glx' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables DRIGL_CFLAGS
and DRIGL_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

===> Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
Stop in /extra/ports/graphics/dri.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /extra/ports/x11-servers/xorg-server.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /extra/ports/x11-servers/xorg-server.

#pkg_info -x xcb
Information for xcb-proto-1.2:

--
Eitan Adler
"Security is increased by designing for the way humans actually behave."

Robert Noland

Jan 8, 2009, 5:36:38 PM1/8/09
to freebsd-ports, x...@freebsd.org
I just rolled up a new patchset. This has not been through tinderbox
yet, so you have been warned... This update should pretty much have us
current with all released xorg bits.

http://people.freebsd.org/~rnoland/xorg-update-010809.patch.bz2

robert.

signature.asc

Robert Noland

Jan 8, 2009, 5:25:28 PM1/8/09
On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 16:59 -0500, Eitan Adler wrote:
> I applied this patch:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~rnoland/xorg-7.4-111608.patch
>
> I then tried upgrading via portmaster -vra
> and I also tried upgrading manually
>
> when installing x11-servers/xorg-server I get the following error
> gnome-config: not found
> configure: error: Package requirements (x11 xext xxf86vm xdamage xfixes
> x11-xcb xcb-glx) were not met:
>
> No package 'x11-xcb' found
> No package 'xcb-glx' found

We turned on xcb by default, so libX11 needs to be rebuilt with xcb
support enabled. "make config" on libX11 port. Looks like possiblly
libGL and/or dri might also need rebuilding after that.

robert.

signature.asc

Eitan Adler

Jan 8, 2009, 6:46:47 PM1/8/09
to Robert Noland, freebsd-ports

I didn't test this patchset yet but the previous one caused X to either
freeze and not accept any input including ctrl+alt+bksp or cause my
computer to go blank and beep three times.

Also make sure to include xorg-minimal in the patch. I don't see it.

Roland Smith

Jan 8, 2009, 6:36:59 PM1/8/09
to Robert Noland, x...@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports

Looking over the patch, why is the glut library version changing from
libglut.so.4 to libglut.so.3?

Roland
--
R.F.Smith http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/
pgp: 1A2B 477F 9970 BA3C 2914 B7CE 1277 EFB0 C321 A725 (KeyID: C321A725)

Robert Noland

Jan 8, 2009, 7:18:16 PM1/8/09
to Eitan Adler, freebsd-ports
On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 18:46 -0500, Eitan Adler wrote:
> Robert Noland wrote:
> > I just rolled up a new patchset. This has not been through tinderbox
> > yet, so you have been warned... This update should pretty much have us
> > current with all released xorg bits.
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~rnoland/xorg-update-010809.patch.bz2
> >
> > robert.
> >

> I didn't test this patchset yet but the previous one caused X to either
> freeze and not accept any input including ctrl+alt+bksp or cause my
> computer to go blank and beep three times.

Would need more specifics to even guess what could have been wrong...
Most particularly what hardware, gfx chip, i386/amd64 and which drivers
were involved, steps to reproduce the issue if any. Basically, the more
info the better.

> Also make sure to include xorg-minimal in the patch. I don't see it.

Not sure who signed up to maintain that... It wasn't me... ;)

robert.

signature.asc

Robert Noland

Jan 8, 2009, 7:21:05 PM1/8/09
to Roland Smith, x...@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports
On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 00:36 +0100, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 05:36:38PM -0500, Robert Noland wrote:
> > I just rolled up a new patchset. This has not been through tinderbox
> > yet, so you have been warned... This update should pretty much have us
> > current with all released xorg bits.
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~rnoland/xorg-update-010809.patch.bz2
>
> Looking over the patch, why is the glut library version changing from
> libglut.so.4 to libglut.so.3?

The libglut is coming from mesa now. I'm not entirely certain that is
the right thing, but haven't had time to really investigate it. I'll
try and figure out if we made the right move there or not.

robert.

> Roland

signature.asc

Eitan Adler

Jan 8, 2009, 10:34:55 PM1/8/09
to Robert Noland, freebsd-ports
> Would need more specifics to even guess what could have been wrong...
> Most particularly what hardware, gfx chip, i386/amd64 and which drivers
> were involved, steps to reproduce the issue if any. Basically, the more
> info the better.
What commands should I run? I am not familiar with the "what is on my
system" commands.
I have a MSI motherboard with an Nvidia graphics card. The nvidia driver
is installed. I did not test with "nv".

FreeBSD FreeBSD 7.1-STABLE #0: i386

Steps to reproduce: run your second to last patch; upgrade all; run startx.

I uninstalled xorg-server xf86-input-mouse and keyboard and installed
the old versions. Almost everything everything else is the new version
and it works now.
I think xorg-server was the problem.

>> Also make sure to include xorg-minimal in the patch. I don't see it.
>
> Not sure who signed up to maintain that... It wasn't me... ;)

I did. Except that I don't have a commit bit and you have a patch to
upgrade to the newer Xorg which touches most of the Xorg files. I am
politely asking that you add the version number bump to xorg-minimal.

> robert.

Robert Noland

Jan 9, 2009, 2:04:07 AM1/9/09
On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 22:34 -0500, Eitan Adler wrote:
> > Would need more specifics to even guess what could have been wrong...
> > Most particularly what hardware, gfx chip, i386/amd64 and which drivers
> > were involved, steps to reproduce the issue if any. Basically, the more
> > info the better.
> What commands should I run? I am not familiar with the "what is on my
> system" commands.
> I have a MSI motherboard with an Nvidia graphics card. The nvidia driver
> is installed. I did not test with "nv".
>
> FreeBSD FreeBSD 7.1-STABLE #0: i386
>
> Steps to reproduce: run your second to last patch; upgrade all; run startx.
>
> I uninstalled xorg-server xf86-input-mouse and keyboard and installed
> the old versions. Almost everything everything else is the new version
> and it works now.
> I think xorg-server was the problem.
.
Ok, there isn't much help that I can offer for Nvidia at the moment,
given that it is vendor supported. I don't yet have hardware to work
with nv or nouveua.

> >> Also make sure to include xorg-minimal in the patch. I don't see it.
> >
> > Not sure who signed up to maintain that... It wasn't me... ;)
> I did. Except that I don't have a commit bit and you have a patch to
> upgrade to the newer Xorg which touches most of the Xorg files. I am
> politely asking that you add the version number bump to xorg-minimal.

Ok, I'll look at it, but my plate is overflowing at the moment between
$work, drm, agp and xorg. patches to the patch are welcome. I'll
gladly merge them.

robert.

> > robert.

signature.asc