Nouveau Starts Dropping Non-KMS Support

Michal Varga

Jan 12, 2010, 7:00:10 AM1/12/10
to freebs...@freebsd.org, rno...@freebsd.org
Basically, this: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nzg3MA

---snip---
Red Hat's Ben Skeggs though has started deleting non-KMS code that is
trimming this NVIDIA X.Org driver by thousands of lines of code. While
user-space mode-setting will no longer work, kernel mode-setting is
the superior solution and is the future. Intel had also recently
dropped support for user-space mode-setting.
---snip---

Does anyone (Robert, probably) know, how this will affect FreeBSD in
the near and well, eventually distant future?

I mean, I guess this one typical linux user's comment from Phoronix
discussion probably sums it all, but still, it's hard not to laugh
(hysterically):
"Well, If portability stands in the way of progress, I say to hell
with portability."

Well anyway, are we going to lose Nouveau yet before we even properly
got it, or are there any plans to workaround this "issue"? I mean,
last I heard KMS in FreeBSD is not going to happen for years (if
ever), so what other options are still open?

m.

Dmitry Marakasov

Jan 12, 2010, 12:05:14 PM1/12/10
to Michal Varga, rno...@freebsd.org, freebs...@freebsd.org
* Michal Varga (varga....@gmail.com) wrote:

> Well anyway, are we going to lose Nouveau yet before we even properly
> got it, or are there any plans to workaround this "issue"? I mean,
> last I heard KMS in FreeBSD is not going to happen for years (if
> ever), so what other options are still open?

I second the question. I'll remind that the same had happened with
xf86-video-intel, which doesn't support non-KMS setups since 2.10.0.

--
Dmitry Marakasov . 55B5 0596 FF1E 8D84 5F56 9510 D35A 80DD F9D2 F77D
amd...@amdmi3.ru ..: jabber: amd...@jabber.ru http://www.amdmi3.ru

Robert Noland

Jan 12, 2010, 8:28:29 PM1/12/10
to Dmitry Marakasov, freebs...@freebsd.org, Michal Varga
On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 20:05 +0300, Dmitry Marakasov wrote:
> * Michal Varga (varga....@gmail.com) wrote:
>
> > Well anyway, are we going to lose Nouveau yet before we even properly
> > got it, or are there any plans to workaround this "issue"? I mean,
> > last I heard KMS in FreeBSD is not going to happen for years (if
> > ever), so what other options are still open?
>
> I second the question. I'll remind that the same had happened with
> xf86-video-intel, which doesn't support non-KMS setups since 2.10.0.

My roadmap is basically, GEM -> TTM -> KMS. GEM, I think I have sorted
out what we need to do. TTM, is a bit more tricky, but at least now, I
think that I now understand the VM system well enough to get some of
this working. KMS on the other hand, needs GEM/TTM to start with and
I'm not yet sure how well it will integrate with syscons.

My main issue right now is time... I just started a new job which has
cut my time for FreeBSD work almost entirely. (read, I'm keeping up
with e-mail and most code has to wait for the weekends.)

I do have a fair amount of stuff queued up to be committed, and a good
bit of cleanup that I would like to knock out.

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rno...@FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD