Apache SSL broken after upgrade to 2.2.13?

Frederique Rijsdijk

Aug 26, 2009, 4:59:34 AM8/26/09
to FreeBSD-Ports
Following todays portaudit advisory, I upgraded Apache on several
machines. On a machine that's running SSL, things broke after the
ugprade with the following error:

[Wed Aug 26 10:23:39 2009] [error] Server should be SSL-aware but has no
certificate configured [Hint: SSLCertificateFile]

The previous version was 2.2.11_5. Everything worked fine. The hint that
apache gives is obviously configured in httpd.conf..

Rolled back to version 2.2.11_5, all is working again.

Did I miss something?

-- Frederique

Peter Pentchev

Aug 26, 2009, 5:05:18 AM8/26/09
to Frederique Rijsdijk, FreeBSD-Ports

This was reported in Debian, too; it seems to be an upstream change
in Apache. I don't know what they intend to do about it, but it does
indeed "break" the setups of a lot of people who only put the SSL
certificate, key, and stuff in the virtual hosts that actually
require it.

As a workaround, just put the SSL cert and key directives somewhere
on a global level, outside a vhost, and Apache will start. Stupid,
I know, but that's how it is for the present :/

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev ro...@ringlet.net ro...@space.bg ro...@FreeBSD.org
PGP key: http://people.FreeBSD.org/~roam/roam.key.asc

Frederique Rijsdijk

Aug 26, 2009, 5:06:18 AM8/26/09
to FreeBSD-Ports
The machine where it brakes is a 6.3-p11.

On a 7.1-p6 it works fine..

Frederique Rijsdijk wrote:
> Following todays portaudit advisory, I upgraded Apache on several
> machines. On a machine that's running SSL, things broke after the
> ugprade with the following error:
>
> [Wed Aug 26 10:23:39 2009] [error] Server should be SSL-aware but has no
> certificate configured [Hint: SSLCertificateFile]
>
> The previous version was 2.2.11_5. Everything worked fine. The hint that
> apache gives is obviously configured in httpd.conf..
>
> Rolled back to version 2.2.11_5, all is working again.
>
> Did I miss something?
>

> -- Frederique

Frederique Rijsdijk

Aug 26, 2009, 5:58:53 AM8/26/09
to Peter Pentchev, FreeBSD-Ports
Peter Pentchev wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 10:59:34AM +0200, Frederique Rijsdijk wrote:
>> Following todays portaudit advisory, I upgraded Apache on several
>> machines. On a machine that's running SSL, things broke after the
>> ugprade with the following error:
>>
>> [Wed Aug 26 10:23:39 2009] [error] Server should be SSL-aware but has no
>> certificate configured [Hint: SSLCertificateFile]
>>
>> The previous version was 2.2.11_5. Everything worked fine. The hint that
>> apache gives is obviously configured in httpd.conf..
>>
>> Rolled back to version 2.2.11_5, all is working again.
>>
>> Did I miss something?
>
> This was reported in Debian, too; it seems to be an upstream change
> in Apache. I don't know what they intend to do about it, but it does
> indeed "break" the setups of a lot of people who only put the SSL
> certificate, key, and stuff in the virtual hosts that actually
> require it.
>
> As a workaround, just put the SSL cert and key directives somewhere
> on a global level, outside a vhost, and Apache will start. Stupid,
> I know, but that's how it is for the present :/

That doesn't work for me ..

[Mon Apr 20 12:53:04 2009] [error] Illegal attempt to re-initialise SSL
for server (theoretically shouldn't happen!)

Weird stuff..

Philip

Sep 8, 2009, 3:17:51 PM9/8/09
On Aug 26, 7:58 am, Frederique Rijsdijk <frederi...@isafeelin.org>
wrote:

Just upgraded 2.2.11 to 2.2.13 via portupgrade and I'm getting this on
a 6.4-RELEASE box:

[Tue Sep 08 16:08:37 2009] [error] Unable to initialize TLS servername
extension callback (incompatible OpenSSL version?)

If I comment out the include for httpd-ssl.conf, it starts:

[Tue Sep 08 16:45:07 2009] [notice] Apache/2.2.13 (FreeBSD) mod_ssl/
2.2.13 OpenSSL/0.9.7e-p1 DAV/2 PHP/5.2.10 with Suhosin-Patch SVN/1.6.5
configured -- resuming normal operations

hmmm...must be some config issue.

Philip

Oct 16, 2009, 2:15:49 PM10/16/09

For some reason, the OpenSSL version that apache was using was older
than the version of the OpenSSL port that was installed:

Apache/2.2.13 (FreeBSD) mod_ssl/2.2.13 OpenSSL/0.9.7e-p1 DAV/2 PHP/
5.2.11 with Suhosin-Patch SVN/1.6.5 configured

I think I may have when I first set up the box a couple of years back
installed the OpenSSL port with the OPENSSL_OVERWRITE_BASE define
because I couldn't get something else working. Doing a total deinstall
and rebuild of both ports seemed to do the trick!