Docs for running 32-bit apps?

con...@cox.net

Jan 16, 2006, 1:44:27 AM1/16/06
to freebs...@freebsd.org
Anyone know if there's any documentation anywhere re: how to run 32-bit apps
under amd64, and if so, where they might be found?

Thanks.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <con...@cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"

Tommi Lätti

Jan 16, 2006, 2:50:52 AM1/16/06
to con...@cox.net, freebs...@freebsd.org
con...@cox.net wrote:
> Anyone know if there's any documentation anywhere re: how to run 32-bit apps
> under amd64, and if so, where they might be found?

You should be able to 'just run them', if you have the lib32 installed
in your system.

--snip--

$ cat /usr/src/tools/lib32/README
# $FreeBSD: src/tools/lib32/README,v 1.2 2004/11/25 04:25:21 peter Exp $

Set WITH_LIB32=yes in /etc/make.conf and do a buildworld/installworld.

Alternatively, if you have just done a buildworld/installworld, you
might be able to 'make build32' and 'make install32' in the top of the
/usr/src tree.

--snip--

--
br,
Tommi

Ruslan Ermilov

Jan 16, 2006, 4:13:02 AM1/16/06
to Tommi L?tti, freebs...@freebsd.org
This README is stale. 32-bit runtime support is now installed by
default, unless overridden with NO_LIB32.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov
r...@FreeBSD.org

Kael Fischer

Jan 16, 2006, 1:27:34 PM1/16/06
to freebs...@freebsd.org
I am having trouble getting 32 bit apps to work too.

Running 6.0-Release amd64 on new Intel SBX82 blades. The vendor
delivered these without overriding lib32 and it was present in the
build tree but, strangely not installed. Applications complained that
ld-elf32.so.1 wasn't there.

% cd /usr/src; make install32

'Fixed' that error, but now I get this kind of thing:

/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libm.so.2" not found, ...
or
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libstdc++.so.3" not found, ...

Am I missing some big part of the puzzle? I am coming from a mostly
FreeBSD 4.X environment and libmap.conf (5) is a new idea, so maybe
that is it. /etc/libmap.conf doesn't exist on these systems. But I
thought this was 'just supposed to work.'

Rgds,
Kael

--
Kael Fischer, Ph.D
DeRisi Lab - Univ. Of California San Francisco

Steve Kargl

Jan 16, 2006, 1:37:35 PM1/16/06
to ka...@sonic.net, freebs...@freebsd.org
On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 10:27:34AM -0800, Kael Fischer wrote:

> 'Fixed' that error, but now I get this kind of thing:
>
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libm.so.2" not found, ...
> or
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libstdc++.so.3" not found, ...
>
> Am I missing some big part of the puzzle? I am coming from a mostly
> FreeBSD 4.X environment and libmap.conf (5) is a new idea, so maybe
> that is it. /etc/libmap.conf doesn't exist on these systems. But I
> thought this was 'just supposed to work.'

What does "ldconfig -32 -r" show? You probably need to
do "ldconfig -32 /usr/lib32".

--
Steve

Kael Fischer

Jan 16, 2006, 1:47:52 PM1/16/06
to Steve Kargl, freebs...@freebsd.org
Steve:

Thanks, I forgot to mention that I had already tried that. Doing it
again does not fix it. But perhaps the first error message is
significant? Is there something that loads at boot time?

b1# ldconfig -32 -r
ldconfig: Cannot open "/var/run/ld-elf32.so.hints": No such file or directory
b1# ldconfig -32 /usr/lib32
b1# ~kael/src/pdbanal/raftercc

/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libstdc++.so.3" not found,

required by "raftercc"
b1# ~kael/src/wublast/freebsd-i686/blasta

/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libm.so.2" not found,

required by "blasta"

-Kael

Steve Kargl

Jan 16, 2006, 2:19:15 PM1/16/06
On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 10:47:52AM -0800, Kael Fischer wrote:

> Thanks, I forgot to mention that I had already tried that. Doing it
> again does not fix it. But perhaps the first error message is
> significant? Is there something that loads at boot time?
>
> b1# ldconfig -32 -r
> ldconfig: Cannot open "/var/run/ld-elf32.so.hints": No such file or directory
> b1# ldconfig -32 /usr/lib32

Do you have libstdc++.so.3 and libm.so.2 in /usr/lib32?
Does ldconfig -32 -r show a list of files.

> b1# ~kael/src/pdbanal/raftercc
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libstdc++.so.3" not found,
> required by "raftercc"
> b1# ~kael/src/wublast/freebsd-i686/blasta
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libm.so.2" not found,
> required by "blasta"

If you can't recompile raftercc and blasta for amd64, then try
to find the missing 32bit libs and drop them im /usr/lib32.
You could create a symlink to get libm.so.2 (although I don't
recommend this approach). A symlink probably won't work for
libstdc++.co.3 because the C++ ABI changed.

--
Steve

Kael Fischer

Jan 16, 2006, 2:45:49 PM1/16/06
to Steve Kargl, freebs...@freebsd.org
> > b1# ldconfig -32 /usr/lib32
>
> Do you have libstdc++.so.3 and libm.so.2 in /usr/lib32?
> Does ldconfig -32 -r show a list of files.

No, that was the complete output from all those commands.

[clip]

> If you can't recompile raftercc and blasta for amd64, then try
> to find the missing 32bit libs and drop them im /usr/lib32.
> You could create a symlink to get libm.so.2 (although I don't
> recommend this approach). A symlink probably won't work for
> libstdc++.co.3 because the C++ ABI changed.

So in the normal buildworld on amd64 these get built, right? I'm
trying to figure out if the vendor just screwed up the
build/installworld and I should just redo it.

Anyway I'm rebuilding on a blade to test it.

Besides GENERIC and SMP the conf is:
options BGE_FAKE_AUTONEG

so it seems like lib32 stuff should be standard.

-Kael

Steve Kargl

Jan 16, 2006, 3:40:22 PM1/16/06
On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 11:45:49AM -0800, Kael Fischer wrote:
> > If you can't recompile raftercc and blasta for amd64, then try
> > to find the missing 32bit libs and drop them im /usr/lib32.
> > You could create a symlink to get libm.so.2 (although I don't
> > recommend this approach). A symlink probably won't work for
> > libstdc++.co.3 because the C++ ABI changed.
>
> So in the normal buildworld on amd64 these get built, right?

You need to add "WITH_LIB32=yes" to /etc/make.conf. This will
then build the 32 bit libraries and install them.

> so it seems like lib32 stuff should be standard.

You may need to add COMPAT_FREEBSD4, COMPAT_FREEBSD5
(or whatever the names) to the kernel config file.

--
Steve

Kael Fischer

Jan 16, 2006, 6:21:37 PM1/16/06
to Steve Kargl, freebs...@freebsd.org
results:

All this stuff has been said before on this list, but I'll try to pull
it together here in a coherent summary.

To recap, this is 6.0-RELEASE amd64 running on Intel SBX82 Systems.

Rebuilding/installing world (or build32/install32) is sufficient to
populate /usr/lib32.

Note KERNCONF=GENERIC includes:
options COMPAT_43 # Needed by COMPAT_LINUX32
options COMPAT_IA32 # Compatible with i386 binaries
options COMPAT_FREEBSD4 # Compatible with FreeBSD4
options COMPAT_FREEBSD5 # Compatible with FreeBSD5
options COMPAT_LINUX32 # Compatible with i386 linux binaries

Note also that "WITH_LIB32=yes" in make.conf is not required (anymore,
see other threads on this list).

After install32, I had to run 'ldconfig -32 /usr/lib32'.

I still have plenty of apps that don't find the versions of libraries
they want. I'm mostly handling this with /etc/libmap32.conf (see
below)

== /etc/libmap32.conf ==
libm.so.2 libm.so
libc_r.so.5 libc_r.so
libc.so.5 libc.so
==================

I believe this is roughly equivalent to the method noted (but not
recommended) by Steve of adding symlinks. It worked fine for the test
program I don't have the source for (yeah!).

The c++ test program, which is my own code, did not work with either a
libstdc++.so.3 mapping in /etc/libmap32.conf or by copying the
libstdc++.so.3 from the 4.9-RELEASE machine it was compiled on. But
it compiles fine - so no worries there.

Those are my results, your mileage will vary.

-Kael.

p.s. Steve, thanks for the pointers.

Larry Rosenman

Jan 16, 2006, 11:04:34 PM1/16/06
to ka...@sonic.net, Steve Kargl, freebs...@freebsd.org
Kael Fischer wrote:

> After install32, I had to run 'ldconfig -32 /usr/lib32'.

This brings up a point I wanted to ask about. Shouldn't the system
Startup scripts do the ldconfig -32 /usr/lib32 if /usr/lib32 exists?

LER

--
Larry Rosenman http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
Phone: +1 512-248-2683 E-Mail: l...@lerctr.org

Danny Braniss

Jan 17, 2006, 3:54:34 AM1/17/06
to Larry Rosenman, freebs...@freebsd.org, ka...@sonic.net
> Kael Fischer wrote:
> >
> > After install32, I had to run 'ldconfig -32 /usr/lib32'.
> >

> This brings up a point I wanted to ask about. Shouldn't the system
> Startup scripts do the ldconfig -32 /usr/lib32 if /usr/lib32 exists?

from some test runs i did:
(all tests on FreeBSD - stable amd64)
- file a.out
a.out: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1
(FreeBSD), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
- did NOT do ldconfig -32 /usr/lib32 and a 32bit a.out run ok
- /usr/bin/ldd a.out
ldd: a.out: can't read program header
ldd: a.out: not a dynamic executable
- using a 32bit ldd actually runs/executes a.out

could someone shed some light at this magic? :-)

danny