LuaDist 1.2.2 and Batteries 0.8 test packages available for Windows

Peter Drahoš

Aug 9, 2011, 5:05:54 AM8/9/11
to luafor...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm nearing a point where LuaDist[1] with modules installed using the
batteries[2] meta-package can replace most of the functionality
offered by LuaForWindows. For testing I have prepared binary releases
of LuaDist 1.2.2 + Batteries 0.8 and Batteries 0.8 for Windows that
are available in the Downloads[3] section of the main Repository.
Other systems should build from source. Binary releases are planned
for Windows and Mac OS X only. The LuaDist 1.2.2 binary package
contains all development files of all the libraries while the
Batteries 0.8 only package has these removed for smaller size.

Everything is completely built from source (no binary blobs) using
LuaDist 1.2.2, CMake 2.8.4 and TDM-MinGW 4.5.2, there are no special
runtime dependencies. The installation should be completely portable
so feel free to extract in anywhere, no environment setup, installer
or wrappers are needed. If you want to build the package from source
please follow the Install[4] instructions, post any issues you find
into the Issues[5] tracker.

Known issues:
* For now only 32bit on Windows release, MinGW64 will be supported as it matures
* Missing luainterface
* Alien crashes on tests (investigating)
* LuaRocks install is broken (work in progress, help and patches welcome)
* Missing unixodbc for Linux/Unix, when installing batteries use the
host system to provide unixodbc to avoid dependency error on
luasql-odbc

> sudo apt-get install unixodbc-dev
> luadist install batteries -provides="unixodbc-2.2"

Complete list of installed components of the Windows release is
available as attachment. To install other modules from the LuaDist
repository make sure you have TDM MinGW and CMake 2.8 available, use
the bundled luadist[6] deployment utility from the commandline. To
uninstall simply delete the folder.

pd

[1] http://www.luadist.org
[2] https://github.com/LuaDist/batteries
[3] https://github.com/LuaDist/Repository/downloads
[4] https://github.com/LuaDist/Repository/wiki/LuaDist:-Installation
[5] https://github.com/LuaDist/Repository/issues
[6] https://github.com/LuaDist/Repository/wiki/LuaDist:-Use

dists.txt

Ryan Pusztai

Aug 21, 2011, 3:39:16 PM8/21/11
to luafor...@googlegroups.com

Peter,

This looks great. I started testing it. I have some feedback in (no particular order):

  * Can the ./?/init.lua be added to the package.path? This is very useful for the way I like to write complex modules that might be application specific.
  * Can LuaSQL-PostgreSQL be added to the distro. This is missing from the current LfW distro, but it it has been requested.
  * Can wlua.exe be included. It makes the app created with wxWidgets and IUP themed, and it makes it so there is not console spawned.
--
Regards,
Ryan

Peter Drahoš

Aug 21, 2011, 4:41:15 PM8/21/11
to luafor...@googlegroups.com
Thanks,
feel free to add issues to the Repository issues tracker[1] as they
arise. We are still battling the known issues but are making progress.

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 9:39 PM, Ryan Pusztai <rpus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Peter,

> This looks great. I started testing it. I have some feedback in (no
> particular order):
>   * Can the ./?/init.lua be added to the package.path? This is very useful
> for the way I like to write complex modules that might be application
> specific.

Sure, I'm actually doing something similar myself. This would make it
easier to deploy custom applications based on LD so I'll add it in the
next release.

>   * Can LuaSQL-PostgreSQL be added to the distro. This is missing from the
> current LfW distro, but it it has been requested.

I have had issues with building the postgresql library from source and
looked for a non-MSVC binary but could not find one. Modifying the
build will take some time but if a binary surfaces I'd be able to add
it without any effort. If not I will do it after the 1st release so it
does not prolong the release date.

>   * Can wlua.exe be included. It makes the app created with wxWidgets and
> IUP themed, and it makes it so there is not console spawned.

Ttrivial to add. Will be in next release, you can also use the wxlua
executable to launch console apps. It only displays the editor when no
arguments are given but wlua will be build by the lua package so its
not tied to wx.

pd

[1] https://github.com/LuaDist/Repository/issues