ARCHIVE AND PRESERVATION TAXONOMY iLLUSTRATION

LTDPRM

Jul 18, 2011, 2:01:41 AM7/18/11
to ltd...@googlegroups.com, Cloud Archive SIG
All,

Charles Dollar stimulated the idea of trying to draw a mind-map illustrating a taxonomy consistent with the ideas I've been floating on taxonomy; to separate digital archive away from digital preservation.   Here's a first pass attempt at that.   Drawing on Priscilla Caplan's definition of digital  curation and that it was evolving towards data management functionality, (which I reject from a discipline definition)  I suggest that curation is more analogous to "Digital Asset Management" than any other discipline I see. Thus, you'll see I used 'DAM' in the illustration.

Charles and Richard have appropriately suggested that we be inclusive of the world of archivists and I agree. Originally, I was just trying to focus on the right-hand side of the picture - not the whole.  But, stepping back, if we take the ISO definition of "An Archive" in an OAIS, as the organization, then we have two primary domains - physical and digital.  We can then separate digital into two domains, digital preservation and digital archive services.  (We must always use the physical or digital terms now to separate and make the distinction of what we're talking about. )  One for long-term and one for short-medium term.  And this approach now accommodates almost all of the existing uses of the word digital 'archive'.  I like that.  It also allows the 'cloud archive' community to offer digital archive services, without offering digital preservation services and we don't have to go fight the inertia already existent.  It also allows all those organizations who have built digital archives instead of digital preservation services to see their position  with more clarity and we can expound on the importance of adding digital preservation services to their Archival Organization's capabilities.   See the definitional notes I added to the illustration.

Now the other supporting terms can be placed against a service and their context better understood.  I'll try that next by expanding this illustration.  But, first does this help? Any recommendations?

Best regards,
Michael Peterson

(805)201-3178   |  mpet...@ltdprm.com
www.ltdprm.org
|  www.ilm20.org

MPeterson

Jul 18, 2011, 2:18:07 AM7/18/11
to LTDPRM
Please see the illustration referred to above at
www.ltdprm.org/discussion-wiki/digitalpreservationtaxonomy