Parklet at Danny Coyles and community meeting

Thea Selby

Feb 2, 2012, 10:02:21 PM2/2/12
to lowerha...@googlegroups.com

Hello, folks.

There is a proposed parklet at Danny Coyles on the 600 block of Haight Street. The owner has turned in an application, and will find out a few more details from the Planning Commission next week to explore further what can and cannot happen with a parklet.

The Lower Haight Merchant + Neighbor Assn sent a support letter for the parklet, with four conditions (attached). The conditions were:

1.       Danny Coyle’s has to get neighbor support

2.       It doesn’t stop any other parklet from happening in our n’hood

3.       The owner is responsive to complaints about noise and keeps the parklet clean

4.       The owner calls the police when violence or threats of violence occur

I spoke with the owner this evening, and he would like to have a meeting with local neighbors to discuss their concerns and thoughts about the parklet. The owner’s idea for the parklet was that it would be an asset to the neighborhood and that it would run from noon-eight pm.

Two dates are proposed for the meeting in the evening:

Friday, Feb 17th

Wednesday, February 22nd

Once we find out which date is best for the neighbors closest to Danny Coyles, we’ll let people know when the meeting will be. While we encourage parklet-interested people to come to the meeting, this is meant to be  a time when the merchant and local neighbors can talk to each other face to face.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns you may have.

Best regards,

Thea

Thea Selby

415 773 1841

th...@nextstepsmarketing.com

Danny Coyle parklet support, LoHaMNA.pdf

A. Garcia

Feb 3, 2012, 10:39:32 AM2/3/12
to lowerha...@googlegroups.com, th...@nextstepsmarketing.com

Love the idea if it wasn't for the bus stop right in front. Interested to hear how that's being mitigated.

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

Feb 3, 2012, 1:54:09 PM2/3/12
to lowerha...@googlegroups.com
Mojo (on Divis) allows beer in their parklet, I believe.

Michael

Feb 3, 2012, 3:42:28 PM2/3/12
to lowerhaight.org
Although I think Danny Coyle's is a fine establishment, and I am truly
appreciative of the vitality and security it brings to the
neighborhood, I am strongly against this proposal for following
reasons.

Already too much of their noise spills out onto the street. The
windows in the front of the bar are almost always open, and they don't
seem to have any policy about closing them after certain hours.

They are pretty lousy neighbors, and seem to be completely oblivious
to the fact that they are in a residential neighborhood. The volume
on their sound system is always up higher than permissible levels, per
city code. They don't seem to have any policy on the hours that they
control the volume. If you bother to go to the bar to ask them to
adjust the volume, you will likely be met with an annoyed gaze and a
sarcastic comment.

Putting a parklet in front of a bar is only creating a smoking section
for the bar. I smoke, and I hang out in bars. When I'm hanging out
in a bar and want to smoke, I go out in front of the bar (unless they
have a patio). Smokers hang out at bars with smoking areas. The
claim that smoking would not be allowed in this parklet under existing
laws is frankly absurd.

One of the objectives of a parklet is to punctuate a block; create
visual interest and a social space in the middle of a block. Having a
parklet next to a bus stop does not make sense from a planning
perspective, and it does not seem like a really pleasant place to hang
out, read a book or chat with friends.

I do like the idea of seeing more parklets in our neighborhood. I
don't think putting them in front of bars that do not serve food is a
wise idea. If one has to be installed on Haight Street, it would be
more appropriate in front of Molotov's or Noc Noc.

Best regards,

Michael
> t...@nextstepsmarketing.com
>
>  Danny Coyle parklet support, LoHaMNA.pdf
> 192KViewDownload

Monroe Bryant

Feb 3, 2012, 5:34:52 PM2/3/12
to lowerha...@googlegroups.com, lowerha...@googlegroups.com
Martin Mack's in the Upper Haight has a parklet and I do think that alcohol is allowed there.

vallie brown

Feb 3, 2012, 6:39:20 PM2/3/12
to lowerha...@googlegroups.com
I like parklets too, but what's the difference between Molotov's, Noc Noc or Danny Coyles?
There may be problem with the bus stop next to Danny Coyles, DPW will have to determine if it's too near the MUNI stop?

Regarding Danny Coyles not be sensitive to neighbors, I think that can be addressed in the meeting besides the parklet issue.

Mike Turitzin

Feb 6, 2012, 5:23:12 PM2/6/12
to lowerha...@googlegroups.com
As a nearby neighbor (I can see Danny Coyles from my bedroom window), I was thinking "Sure, let them have a parklet." But after reading Michael's email, I do agree that it gets LOUD in there.

It's not uncommon to hear incredibly loud shouting and screaming coming from Danny Coyles at 10am on a Sunday morning. So I'm not necessarily excited about this if it makes that more of a problem.

Mike
--
miketuritzin.com - Go there and/or be square

Anne Thornton

Feb 7, 2012, 11:48:02 AM2/7/12
to lowerha...@googlegroups.com
What is a parklet?

Anne Thornton
Anne Thornton
2101 Divisadero Street
San Francisco, Ca.
(415) 279-0885 Cell
anne.r....@gmail.com

Mark Lenz

Feb 7, 2012, 12:10:34 PM2/7/12
to lowerha...@googlegroups.com, Christin...@sfgov.org, mayore...@sfgov.org
Since it was revealed that a permit has been applied for a parket in front of Danny Coyles Bar at 668 Haight St    without notifying nearby residents a lot of discussion has taken place both in person and online.

It's become apparent that Danny Coyles had no intent on notifying neighbors until the permit was approved since the process doesn't require public notice or comment unless someone contests the permit.  A real catch22 if you don't know that the permit has been applied for.

I like living in the lower haight because it's not a cookie cutter or quaint little neighborhood, it's edgy and mostly has a good vibe and hope it remains this way.   I also like that there's a variety of businesses including a bar just across the street from where I live.   But we also have to be mindful that this too is a residential neighborhood as well and it's important to be good neighbors with each other.

Not only are many residents in the 600 block against the parklet there's deeper issues emerging about the noise level at all hours of the day and into the late night with loud, obnoxious behavior surrounding outside of the bar.  The windows and door remains open morning, day, and well into the night without respect for nearby residents especially during their peak sports watching events.

There's been mention about complaints made directly to Danny Coyles about the noise at various times with little or no regard or attempts to resolve the complaint.

It seems like people have tolerated this noise for a long time but haven't found a way to address this problem.  Now may be the time and opportunity to speak your views.     Lets talk about the door and windows being kept shut after 6pm and how about a bouncer at the front door to keep customers who are lingering outside smoking and talking at a reasonable noise level.  There's bouncers at Blackbird and Churchill Bars keeping an eye on things, why not there?   The owners of Danny Coyles should take a lesson from the Vapor Room folks who also have a person at the door monitoring activity and keeping a watchful eye on their customers coming and going. This  has gone a long way in helping build neighbor relationships.

I have seen many parklets pop up throughout the city which I like and fully support.  But the original intent is now being diluted by allowing a bar to extend the alcohol, smoking, and shouting into the street for nearby residents to put up with.  This is not good for any bar whether it's in the 600 blk or 500 block of Haight St where there's a mix of residential and commercial buildings.

Keep in mind, the dates that were offered later in February to discuss the parklet and noise problems at Danny Coyles would have been beyond the permit review date so most likey the permit would have been approved had people not protested the process.

First task is to get the permit denied or at least held off until there's a chance for public comment then lets later address the ongoing noise issues and help Danny Coyles be a better neighbor!

If you want to halt the permit process and get a public hearing that is deserved contact

ANDRES POWER
City Design Group
SF Planning Department
1650 Mission Street, Suite 400
S.F., CA  94103
Andres...@sfgov.org
t. 415.558.6384
f. 415.558.6409

Make sure you have him record your residential address because I'm sure he'll be getting a lot of support for this permit from Danny Coyles customers and friends who don't live within an ear shot of this place.

Stay tuned, a  petition protesting this parklet will be circulating for residents within earshot of this bar.

Mark

A. Garcia

Feb 7, 2012, 12:26:06 PM2/7/12
to lowerha...@googlegroups.com, Christin...@sfgov.org, mayore...@sfgov.org
I dont know what personal vendetta Mark Lenz has against Danny Coyle's but as a resident of 600 block, I dont agree with his characterization of Danny Coyle's as a bad neighbor.
I personally haven't had any complaints or issues, but in speaking with the owner of DC, they acknowledge the noise complaints and do what they can to accommodate. Aside from living on the block and interacting with their approachable and friendly staff, I have no other ties to DC.
It's a popular venue so they try and manage the noise and traffic that comes with that success.
Comparing to Vapor Room is classic apples and oranges, and having a parklet in front of a medicinal facility woud be weird.
I'm not sure there is an appropriate location for a parklet on Haight Street; I mean Duboce park is 2 blocks away, where is the need?

Agreed. I'm perplexed by the combination of liking the Lower Haight
because it is not "cookie cutter," yet favoring the kinda bourgie
parklets while being against the koi fish street art. (No, apparently
I'm *not* going to let that go.)
;)

I'm not against the parklet, but I have the same concerns about it as
many others here.

-susan

On Feb 7, 9:26 am, "A. Garcia" <limitpr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I dont know what personal vendetta Mark Lenz has against Danny Coyle's but as a resident of 600 block, I dont agree with his characterization of Danny Coyle's as a bad neighbor.
> I personally haven't had any complaints or issues, but in speaking with the owner of DC, they acknowledge the noise complaints and do what they can to accommodate. Aside from living on the block and interacting with their approachable and friendly staff, I have no other ties to DC.
> It's a popular venue so they try and manage the noise and traffic that comes with that success.
> Comparing to Vapor Room is classic apples and oranges, and having a parklet in front of a medicinal facility woud be weird.
> I'm not sure there is an appropriate location for a parklet on Haight Street; I mean Duboce park is 2 blocks away, where is the need?

Taylor

Feb 10, 2012, 12:59:24 AM2/10/12
to lowerhaight.org
I'm more perplexed by the characterization of Haight Street as a
residential area. Yes there are residences, but I think most would
consider it a commercial corridor. The assumption of noise is just one
reason I didn't look at places right on Haight Street when I moved
into this neighborhood over a decade ago.