Feral Cat Colony

Buzz

Aug 10, 2010, 11:17:08 PM8/10/10
to lowerhaight.org
There is a large cat colony in the back area of the block bordered by
Haight/Fillmore/Page/Webster. For a long time many (me included) have
laid the blame on Tia (who can be heard summoning cats from her back
porch at all hours). Over the last couple of months our neighbor Zo
(Patricia for to you old schoolers) has been working patiently with
her to spay and release all the animals they can trap. It turns out
that Tia is really responsive to positive reinforcement and is now
working hard to do the right thing. Since she is on a fixed income,
and is a potential hoarder, Animal Care and Control has been working
with her to make sure her personal animals are all spayed and
neutered.

The colony is much larger than the population being fed by Tia. All
neighbors bordering the colony are encouraged to help trap the animals
(free traps are available at ACC). There was a neighbor complaint
filed against Tia today. This is unhelpful. If you can't help trap
the animals the best course of action is to introduce yourself to Tia
and thank her for doing the right thing - and maybe donate some cat
food.

You will notice that many animals in the colony have their right ear
clipped - this indicates that they have already been spayed/neutered.
All kittens trapped in good health will be adopted out. The eventual
goal is to fully stop the growth of the colony. You can help by
having your own cat spayed or neutered and making sure unfixed animals
are never released or abandoned anwhere.

http://www.sfgov2.org/index.aspx?page=942

robert bregoff

Aug 11, 2010, 12:56:55 AM8/11/10
to lowerha...@googlegroups.com
Hey Buzz - we had a similar problem on our block. We found this group of
folks who came out and trapped most of the cats, spayed/neutered/etc. and
returned a few of them. I rarely see any of them anymore, though. Can't
remember the name of the group, but they did a great job. Be sure and alert
your neighbors who might have outdoor cats.

Rob

http://www.sfgov2.org/index.aspx?page=942