Lovd by Less on Ubuntu8.10

KtyKat223

Feb 28, 2009, 5:04:53 PM2/28/09
to Lovd by Less
I said I would make a "how-to" for others who might have probs like
the ones I did, so here it is. I suggest you read all of it first
before attempting.

To begin with I had to compile from source all the nessesary
components. ie...

ruby 1.8.6 (apparently lovdbyless is quirky with 1.8.7, at least it
was for me. And Ubuntu can apt-get only 1.8.7 or 1.9). This will also
allow you to use $ gem install which is disabled on Ubuntu by default
as well.

BUT, before you compile and install anything, make sure you have all
the needed dev packages first! Ubuntu has almost none of the needed
dev's installed. Otherwise nothing will work properly. these are fine
to apt-get install. You will need...

librmagick-ruby
libmagick9-dev
libmysql++-dev
ruby1.8-dev
linux-libc-dev
libc6-dev
build-dep ruby1.8
openjdk-6-jdk (I know the LovdbyLess site specifies the sun java
version, but this works fine. It is essentially the same thing. Just
an open source version)

At this point you can compile and install ruby. After which you can $
gem install any gems you may need. So just follow along with the
README.

Also, a little off subject but related to serving your site in a
production env. You will need to create a bunch of sym links from /usr/
local/lib (where the compiled version of ruby installs) to /usr/lib
(where Ubuntu looks for them b/c thats where it would install them if
you used apt-get) This includes the folder for ruby (you may have to
remove the ruby folder in /usr/lib first. It should be empty anyways,
unless you had originally used apt-get to install ruby. This will
allow apt-get to install any future gems in the /usr/local/bin and
still access them should you choose to use apt-get instead of gem
install. These sym links are extremely important if you use a mongrel
cluster to serve your site. The reason being the cluster will not
restart with a reboot of the system otherwise.

If you need more help than this I don't know what to tell you. But if
you ask I will try to hep the same as others helped me. (just no
stupid questions please.)

Enjoy!!

P.S. If anyone is interested I wrote my very first init script
(Yay!!) to use with thinking sphinx. it prevents that "rake aborted"
error b/c you tried to start/stop spxinx when it was already started/
stopped. It also has a status that will tell you if it's running or
not, as well as a restart. The restart is probably only useful for a
dev env where your testing changes in what sphinx does with lovdbyless
(or other apps). But I put it there anyways just b/c I could.
Obviously it can be used to to restart sphinx on a reboot also.

Steven Bristol

Mar 1, 2009, 12:24:53 PM3/1/09
to lovdb...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 5:04 PM, KtyKat223 <ktyk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I said I would make a "how-to" for others who might have probs like
> the ones I did, so here it is. I suggest you read all of it first
> before attempting.

Thanks for the how to. I'll add a link to this in the README.

cheers,
steve